Question Questions

Portables
I have a two questions:

*Is there a benefit for using copper wires for analog video?

*When shielding audio/component video wires, should each one be wrapped separately, or can they all be shielded together?

* Copper is a good conductor. It's not strictly necessary, but wire is generally made of copper and I figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it. What else were you thinking about using?

* Individually shielding each wire will prevent the signals from interfering with each other; Shielding them collectively only protects them from external noise. If you're running the wires a particularly long distance, it might be worth individually shielding them. Otherwise, collective shielding is probably fine.

This does really beg the question though: What are you planning to use for wire and shielding? It almost sounds as though you are building your own wires.

Portables
8CC3D654-BC3A-45F9-BAF0-B423CA779D0B.jpeg
* Copper is a good conductor. It's not strictly necessary, but wire is generally made of copper and I figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it. What else were you thinking about using?

* Individually shielding each wire will prevent the signals from interfering with each other; Shielding them collectively only protects them from external noise. If you're running the wires a particularly long distance, it might be worth individually shielding them. Otherwise, collective shielding is probably fine.

This does really beg the question though: What are you planning to use for wire and shielding? It almost sounds as though you are building your own wires.
Thanks for the reply. I bought some braided wire shielding off of amazon which would seem to do the job. I just got finished with wiring, and it seemed like it didn’t work AT ALL:oops:. There is a large amount of interference in the video still... Dang, maybe I’ll try shielding them individually now.

Last edited:

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Wii AV cables make for great shielded wires that are easy to solder. The antenna wires from the WiFi module make for great low profile shielded wire, but they are a little more difficult to solder because of how small they are.

Portables
Wii AV cables make for great shielded wires that are easy to solder. The antenna wires from the WiFi module make for great low profile shielded wire, but they are a little more difficult to solder because of how small they are.
Thanks. I’ll try the AV wire.

Portables
I used the AV wires AND the shielding braid on top of that. Still interference. Major headache rn, it’s best to work on this another time.:facepalm:

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
You using a Wii2HDMI adapter, right? I had some trouble with them, too..

First i had a lot of interference (diagonal lines moving over the screen). Then I found out my adapter just doesn't like PAL games.. no probs with NTSC games...

Portables
You using a Wii2HDMI adapter, right? I had some trouble with them, too..

First i had a lot of interference (diagonal lines moving over the screen). Then I found out my adapter just doesn't like PAL games.. no probs with NTSC games...
Yes, I am using Wii to hdmi. I tested it out with games before I soldered it to the board and it worked fine with all games. Thanks for the help though.

Yes, I am using Wii to hdmi. I tested it out with games before I soldered it to the board and it worked fine with all games. Thanks for the help though.
Are you making sure the mode pin is getting 3.3v? Sometimes I could get it work without mode and the color would be off and all staticky. Also have you tested the component without a wii2hdmi adapter? That could help single out where the problem is coming from.

Portables
Are you making sure the mode pin is getting 3.3v? Sometimes I could get it work without mode and the color would be off and all staticky. Also have you tested the component without a wii2hdmi adapter? That could help single out where the problem is coming from.
The mode pin is definitely getting 3.3v. I will test it with component video tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion.

Portables
I tested regular component video and... No problems at all! I guess that’s one step in the right direction, but I’m still confused on what’s causing problems with the Wii2Hdmi. More testing to be doneB|.

I would just say to check you wiring, make sure YPbPr isn't wired backwards, make sure 5v and gnd is connected correctly, if it has an led it should be turned on.