PS2 Ultra Slim

cfig

Hey, I know this isn't the best thread for it but does anyone have more information about the integrated MX4SIO process? Do we still need a freemcboot memory card?

Hi there! First off, amazing work. Incredible stuff, really.

I'm looking to get these files printed via PCBway - I saw the recommended materials from the Macho Nacho video suggesting going with the Resin UTR-8100 for a clean clear look. That looks super nice! Was curious though what others have done regarding colors and tints. Looks like the only option for colors is using PLA? Is that still an ok choice or not recommended? I was looking to go with a red case, but also was considering a tinted red clear if that is possible. I see under the Resin UTR-8100 clear designation there is an option for dyes. What does that mean exactly? Would it be solid red or just tinted red? What would the case look like if I did the UTR-8100 clear but then selected dye and chose red. Any insight? Looking for some input as I have never really used 3d printing before and am not sure what it will look like. PCB way isn't breaking the bank, but also it isn't exactly cheap. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you so much y'all!

EDIT: I went with the UTR-8100 set to clear and selected the red dye. This is the result. Great imo.
IMG_1392.jpeg
IMG_1391.jpeg
IMG_1390.jpeg
EAB5DACD-D60C-4BD1-BEDF-A24D6E90E494.jpeg

Last edited:
Is there anyway to get a model of this extended out to save the second usb slot?

cy

Portables
Is there anyway to get a model of this extended out to save the second usb slot?
I don't think Wesk has made a model like this. This means you'd need to take his work and extend it to keep the second usb slot. Realistically speaking that wouldn't be very difficult at all if you know your way around 3d modeling software.

Is there a way to get the red standby LED working again on GH-061-51 or is there a transistor circuit required?

Thank you for sharing this project :P

Edit: I used the 2 Channel Transistor array IC from the cutted pcb and a random red LED with a 470 ohms resistor by using the 8.5V rail. Works great.

Last edited:
So this project has no worklog as it was completely off the cuff and went from concept to completion in a day and a half.

The PS2 Ultra Slim
View attachment 25899

Renders:
View attachment 22986View attachment 22987View attachment 22988View attachment 22989

Real Pics:
View attachment 22981View attachment 22982View attachment 22983View attachment 22984View attachment 22985

Features:

-Almost half the width of a stock PS2 slim as it nixes the DVD drive and one of the USB ports.​
-Added mounting for an internal micro SD card card adapter for SD loading.​
-Improved cooling over stock with an additional intake and a guided exhaust.​
-Re-purposes the lid switch to become the power/reset switch.​
-Designed to not need supports to print the main case.​

A very basic how to build:

1) Requires a PS2 79k motherboard.​
2) Carefully trim off 2nd USB port so the motherboard is square, being careful to not cut the 5v reg for the USB port. Sand that edge so there are no shorts. Run a wire from the 2nd controller port 8.5v to the input leg of the 5v USB regulator to restore USB power.​
3) Cut both traces coming off the DVD lid switch and wire reset to one side of the switch and GND to the other side, this is now the power switch.​
4) (Optional) Trim down an SD to micro SD adapter so that it sits flush in the adapter mount and wire it up for SD loading.​

See latest files here: https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/ps2-ultra-slim.5077/post-57660
Will you ever design one for the 9 series models
as I cant seem to find as 79000k

Last edited:
This project looks cool. I've seen some 79k models with broken disk drives that I want to try this on. How can I solder a HDMI slot to this board and are there are 3d printing files that incorporate a HDMI slot. I don't think I want to bother with the SD slot and instead use a MC2SIO memory card with a micro SD slot

Hello... hope someone can help... I am measuring 98 ohms between 3v3 and GND on the controller ports. is that normal? doesn't seem like it, but everything worked prior and just decided to check for short between pins after soldering. No apparent shorts seen (solder touching adjacent pin)... checked cut pcb location under microscope and no layers touch another layer (except for via). Can anyone confirm that this is normal? thanks

Attachments

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Hello... hope someone can help... I am measuring 98 ohms between 3v3 and GND on the controller ports. is that normal? doesn't seem like it, but everything worked prior and just decided to check for short between pins after soldering. No apparent shorts seen (solder touching adjacent pin)... checked cut pcb location under microscope and no layers touch another layer (except for via). Can anyone confirm that this is normal? thanks
I can't confirm but it's not a dead short so it's likely just low resistance. If the system fires up and the controller works then you should be good?

Thank you. Haven’t tried powering on as I didn’t want it to let magic smoke out :). I’ll follow up tomorrow. Thank you again
[EDIT]
Everything works great!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey! New "modder" here! I have spent about a week reading up on this project and finally got most of the details I needed around forums linked in this forums. A problem I ran into was during game conversion. One of my games is the MGS3 Subsistence. After converting to a usable .iso file I found that FAT32 doesn't allow for files bigger than 3999M to be copied to this particular format. I know that the PSX forums may be a better place to ask this but If others working on this mod also have this issue I wanted to ask it here. Any links or tips on getting files this big onto these FAT32 format SD Cards?

Also I know you get this a lot, but thank you Wesk for a great introduction into the PS2 modding community. I had a wonderful time converting my PS2's to the ultra slim, learning 3D modeling, how to use PCBway, soldering, etc. A great resource and introduction.

I actually found my answer, but I'm not sure if its the best option. I'm using USBUtil to break up the game files into a usable format. However I have to place them into the Root of the SD card rather than the DVD folder. Any way to transfer to said folder?

Also! Don't know how this may effect the SD card, but is it possible to also solder in the USB 1.1 port to the SD card reader to allow for both MX4 and USB compatibility? (Specifically for PS1 games) Or to run the ground through the third post on the MOUSER switch?
EDIT::: (OR IS THERE A BETTER WAY TO IMPORT PS1 GAMES TO A MX4 FORMAT WITHOUT POPSTARTER)

Sorry in advance! May find answers while waiting for a reply here. But I felt as though it was something this community would want to know as a collective and thought shooting out the questions here may be best!

[MOD EDIT] MERGED TRIPLE POST

Last edited by a moderator:

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Hey! New "modder" here! I have spent about a week reading up on this project and finally got most of the details I needed around forums linked in this forums. A problem I ran into was during game conversion. One of my games is the MGS3 Subsistence. After converting to a usable .iso file I found that FAT32 doesn't allow for files bigger than 3999M to be copied to this particular format. I know that the PSX forums may be a better place to ask this but If others working on this mod also have this issue I wanted to ask it here. Any links or tips on getting files this big onto these FAT32 format SD Cards?

Also I know you get this a lot, but thank you Wesk for a great introduction into the PS2 modding community. I had a wonderful time converting my PS2's to the ultra slim, learning 3D modeling, how to use PCBway, soldering, etc. A great resource and introduction.

I actually found my answer, but I'm not sure if its the best option. I'm using USBUtil to break up the game files into a usable format. However I have to place them into the Root of the SD card rather than the DVD folder. Any way to transfer to said folder?

Also! Don't know how this may effect the SD card, but is it possible to also solder in the USB 1.1 port to the SD card reader to allow for both MX4 and USB compatibility? (Specifically for PS1 games) Or to run the ground through the third post on the MOUSER switch?
EDIT::: (OR IS THERE A BETTER WAY TO IMPORT PS1 GAMES TO A MX4 FORMAT WITHOUT POPSTARTER)

Sorry in advance! May find answers while waiting for a reply here. But I felt as though it was something this community would want to know as a collective and thought shooting out the questions here may be best!

[MOD EDIT] MERGED TRIPLE POST
This really isn't the thread for your questions and they are better directed to the PS2 specific forums. Playing PS1 games via SD/USB or HDD is pretty bad on PS2 as it is primarily emulation (not good emulation) and I'd advise against it. All your other questions are best directed elsewhere.

Thank you! I have reached out other places and am slowing gathering the answers I need. If PS1 isn't the best plan then I may just scrap that part of the project. But as a concept do you think USB splicing is a okay idea? This is what it would look like.(I think)

I appreciate your time and cant wait to post my completed PS2US here soon. Have about 5 days on printing and then we should be ready!

Attachments

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Thank you! I have reached out other places and am slowing gathering the answers I need. If PS1 isn't the best plan then I may just scrap that part of the project. But as a concept do you think USB splicing is a okay idea? This is what it would look like.(I think)

I appreciate your time and cant wait to post my completed PS2US here soon. Have about 5 days on printing and then we should be ready!
I don't really understand what you mean by "to allow for both MX4 and USB compatibility?". The USB port functions just like it would on an untrimmed PS2 when power is reapplied to it.

I don't really understand what you mean by "to allow for both MX4 and USB compatibility?". The USB port functions just like it would on an untrimmed PS2 when power is reapplied to it.
What I mean is, to utilize the same SD card that is plugged into the side of the PS2. If I leave the USB port as is from your mod then I have to either unplug the SD card and use an adapter to plug it into the USB port or I have to use a separate USB drive to leave plugged into the USB port so that I can play PS2/PS1 games without going up to the PS2 and moving things around.

I ended up deciding that I am going to go ahead with optimizing the ability to play PS2/PS1 games. Though your input was noted and backed by further research, I still found myself wanting the PS2/PS1 games all in the same "UltraSlim" PS2 package. With FREEMCBOOT, OPL v1.2.0, OPL Manager, POPSTARTER, CDmage, and USBTIL I'm finding a very comfortable and smooth gameplay experience that feels just like it did way back when. And in working on all this, am trying to make it the best/easiest "Plug n' Play" experience possible. Which includes the ability to use a total of two total external components. A FMCB memory card and a Micro SD card.

EDIT::: THIS IS THE PHOTO I MEANT TO UPLOAD (LABELS USB PORT)

Attachments

Portables
Still working on my first one!
Why hasn't anyone added the 5v USB-C mod to this beautiful case? It makes it even that much smaller and futuristic.