Question Heat sink fan

would this or something similar to this alone be sufficient for cooling a 4 layer wii? It looks like it has a decent amount of aluminum, but I haven't had much experience with cooling.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/281491474237

I know @Madmorda is using something pretty similar in her portable, but she may be supplementing it with more heatsinks.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

Noah

retired
Portables
Nah, like this alone wouldn't be smart because it's too small to cover both the CPU and GPU. Best bet would be to grab a thin long rectangular sheet of copper, put that over top of the CPU/GPU, then put another heatsink (something like this) on top of the CPU or GPU and then put the fan on the other processor with the opening blowing through the other heat sink.

The Wii can be kept on for a long while without a fan but something small like this will do as long as you have a decent heatsink set up.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
My plan was to have a heatsink on the chips, then put my fan upside down on top of the heatsink so that it was sucking through the round hole off the heatsink and blowing out the side. But that's mainly because of space constraints and I'm working on a better solution. :)

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Ive never seen this fan before. I like it.
Here's a cheaper link

In case others are looking at this years from now and the ebay links are long gone, the fan is 35mm*35mm*7mm and the part number is UDQFNKH11

Ive never seen this fan before. I like it.
Here's a cheaper link

In case others are looking at this years from now and the ebay links are long gone, the fan is 35mm*35mm*7mm and the part number is UDQFNKH11
Thanks shank! This is actually the one I'm getting :) the other one just had better pictures Imo so I posted that one. $5 is pretty dang good really. I'm excited to try it out. I'm planning on ordering it soon, so when I get it I'll report back here with the nitty gritty.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I got the fan in the mail. So far I like it, but there is one small gimmick. The fan's center actually extrudes slightly from the fan's case. You cannot place this fan directly against your case unless you have a cutout for the fan's center or a spacer for the fans's case.