Question Bare minimum for OMGWTF trim, minor undervoltage, minimum amps for boot?

Correct, however you will need to remove the onboard regulators.
Would that bring down energy consumption? I would also like to use the USB and gamecube ports (not the memory card ports) so 5v is also required of course. Right now I'm just testing through the 12v input

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Would that bring down energy consumption? I would also like to use the USB and gamecube ports (not the memory card ports) so 5v is also required of course. Right now I'm just testing through the 12v input
Things get wonky when you leave the regulators on the board. In most instances, the board won't work unless you remove all the regulator components.

Custom regulators are more efficient than stock ones.

Things get wonky when you leave the regulators on the board. In most instances, the board won't work unless you remove all the regulator components.

Custom regulators are more efficient than stock ones.
I've got the custom regulators you guys advised in some posts and they are awesome. I've ordered enough to do 1v, 1.15v, 3.3v and 5v (twice) but am just wondering if there are any advantages between the custom regulators onto a full wii-board (thus power it through the original power input) or do it all through custom regulators on the designated places. I'm keeping it fully intact and only plan to move the GC-ports, remove the GC-memorycard slots (did that already) and remove the SD-card slot. USB, video output etc are still a 'must'

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
advantages between the custom regulators onto a full wii-board (thus power it through the original power input) or do it all through custom regulators on the designated places.
Not sure what you mean with that, guessing you mean difference between the onboard and custom? The custom ones are much more efficient than powering the wii with the official ones, since the official ones are built to be cheap, and custom regulators are built to be efficient (thus longer battery life).

If you mean the difference between trimming a board and using custom regs, and not trimming but still using custom regs, the only difference is that you will have to remove the onboard regulators before you hook up the custom regs so you don't have issues.

Not sure what you mean with that, guessing you mean difference between the onboard and custom? The custom ones are much more efficient than powering the wii with the official ones, since the official ones are built to be cheap, and custom regulators are built to be efficient (thus longer battery life).

If you mean the difference between trimming a board and using custom regs, and not trimming but still using custom regs, the only difference is that you will have to remove the onboard regulators before you hook up the custom regs so you don't have issues.
I'm going for a portable build where the Wii stays intact for the most part (just ground trimming and form factor won't be much bigger then my 7 inch screen + controllers etc) and therefore look for the best way to power the wii-board with the custom regulators BUT retain all required voltages and such.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
look for the best way to power the wii-board with the custom regulators BUT retain all required voltages and such.
I guess that's what confused me, there is really only one way to do custom regs. The custom regs work the same as if you had trimmed the Wii, but with an untrimmed board you will need to remove all the on board regulators before using custom ones.

As always, if you are going to be using portablizemii, make sure to install it before doing work on the console!

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
If you're relocating all of that stuff, you might as well trim the board. To elaborate on some of what Shank means when he says the board acts wonky, replacing the regulators as we do in the guide will not correctly re-power the board the same way it was before if you aren't properly relocating the components.

Take a look at this image:

(from the SSWiiT thread, this was taken right after wiring custom regs)

There are a couple things to notice. For example, bluetooth and U10. You can see how they're relocated here. Since I did this, I changed where they were getting power from, and as a result they are working properly. You can even see the bluetooth's 3.3v wire basically connected directly to the regulator.

An untrimmed Wii has two 3.3v lines, a main one and a standby one. Things like bluetooth normally grab from the 3.3v standby. You could connect them together, but I'm not 100% sure how the MX would react(since half of it's original purpose is as the Wii's power control.)