Discussion Ashida & G-Boy injection moulded shell expression of interest

Would you buy an injection moulded shell if they were available

• Yes, I would (please post how many and what colours)

Votes: 24 96.0%
  • No, I would not (please do tell us why)

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
@ohkin86 Has said they have the means to make injection moulded shells for the current reigning favourite builds, the Ashida and G-Boy.
In order for this to be financially viable, a sufficient initial quantity of each shell will need to be ordered to cover the seed cost of the moulds themselves. The shells are expected to cost in the realm of $50- $100 USD each, which is cheaper than SLS nylon and SLA resin prints depending on who does it.
Please post here with what shells you would be interested in purchasing, how many you would be interested in purchasing, and what solid colours you would like to see available.

Note: This is not a binding commitment to make a purchase, only an expression of interest. That being said, we don't want to put ohkin in a situation where the seed money isn't recovered by expected sales, so please only express interest for a quantity of units that you would reasonably purchase. No guarantee is made for colour preferences to be available.

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I'll start with my current interest for 1 Ashida shell in Gamecube indigo, and 1 G-Boy shell in cobalt blue.

Wait there’s one thing to note: @ohkin86 molded shells would mean using their PCBs (PMS, GC etc.). I would be interested in injection molded shells that are compatible with 4LayerTech PCBs.

Personnally I would be interested in 3 Gboy shells. Colors that I like: Famicom Red, DMG grey or blue.

I emphasize again that I would like the shells to be compatible with 4LayerTech PCBs, otherwise I don’t think I’m interested (unless the shells can be easily modified to put the 4LT PCBs but that kind of defeats the purpose).

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Wait there’s one thing to note: @ohkin86 molded shells would mean using their PCBs (PMS, GC etc.). I would be interested in injection molded shells that are compatible with 4LayerTech PCBs.

Personnally I would be interested in 3 Gboy shells. Colors that I like: Famicom Red, DMG grey or blue.

I emphasize again that I would like the shells to be compatible with 4LayerTech PCBs, otherwise I don’t think I’m interested (unless the shells can be easily modified to put the 4LT PCBs but that kind of defeats the purpose).
I agree with this. Wesk's default Ashida and Dustin's G-Boy Rev4U models should be the ones used, for standardisation and community cohesion

I understand your idea. g-boy, I will reserve screw posts to assemble PMS. but,PMS-PD 2, I need to change it to a tf card slot and keep the typec charging port. Currently, ashida is using my own power solution, which is compatible with PMS. It only needs to be made into a plug-in board. I need to maintain a certain level of originality.
I think I will take any suggestions and good ideas.
微信图片_20230824185847.jpg

cy

Portables
I would definitely be interested in an at least 1 Ashida shell in GameCube indigo. G-Boy shell I'd want at least 1 of in red.

I would be interested in 1 Ashida shell in Gamecube indigo as long as shipping to Australia is not too high

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I understand your idea. g-boy, I will reserve screw posts to assemble PMS. but,PMS-PD 2, I need to change it to a tf card slot and keep the typec charging port. Currently, ashida is using my own power solution, which is compatible with PMS. It only needs to be made into a plug-in board. I need to maintain a certain level of originality.
I think I will take any suggestions and good ideas.
View attachment 29491
Your PMS doesn't support WiiHUD features though, right?

Your PMS doesn't support WiiHUD features though, right?
Yes, he is only a mass production PCB for the first generation of open-source PMS, with only power supply and LED display. Actually, it is a friend of mine who produced it in bulk, and I am responsible for helping sell it. My own projects use other simple power supply modules. They are simple and stable. Although it doesn't have many functions.
微信图片_20230825184600.jpg
微信图片_20230825184609.jpg

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Yes, he is only a mass production PCB for the first generation of open-source PMS, with only power supply and LED display. Actually, it is a friend of mine who produced it in bulk, and I am responsible for helping sell it. My own projects use other simple power supply modules. They are simple and stable. Although it doesn't have many functions.
View attachment 29507View attachment 29508
That's cleaner than I thought it'd be. I must say though that I am a bit concerned by the lack of a thermal safety shutdown method. If the system is accidentally turned on by the switch being bumped in a small enclosed space like a backpack or suitcase, it will rapidly overheat and could cause a fire. There should at least be an 80 degrees celsius thermal fuse placed by the CPU/GPU to ensure that once the core reaches an unsafe temperature, it will automatically shut off. The PMS product line supports using thermistors for thermal safety, but since there's no advanced monitoring possible with this simple G-Boy config, the best safety measure would be a thermal fuse in line with B+ that will cut power to the system when it hits critical failure temperature.

Last edited:

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
If you can do clear colors then I'd love an atomic purple ashida and gboy!

Shank

Staff member
Portables
These carrier boards that solder directly to the Wii are quite cool. You could add PMS 2 compatibility by using our castellated module footprint. Then community members could solder the PMS 2 or PMS lite directly onto your carrier board, adding full second generation PMS functionality onto your builds

These carrier boards that solder directly to the Wii are quite cool. You could add PMS 2 compatibility by using our castellated module footprint. Then community members could solder the PMS 2 or PMS lite directly onto your carrier board, adding full second generation PMS functionality onto your builds
Yes, you're right. That's what I think, too,

I’m Interested as well, 1 Ashida shell in Gamecube indigo and a black gboy shell.