Features:
Trimmed Wii
All 4 Layer Tech boards PMS, GC+, UAMP
Bluetooth module and built in Sensor bar
Front face volume buttons and Sync
640x480 3.5 inch IPS Display
Direct Drive
External USB ports, Headphone jack and Barrel jack for charging
Dual tact switches mounted on a squishy tact for shoulder buttons with full range
4x 18650 batteries

IMG_0453.JPG

IMG_0748.JPG

IMG_0749.JPG

IMG_0751.JPG

This uses the Polycase SL57 same as the original Piiwii pocket which I purchased from Shank in 2017 when he was working on the PiiWii pocket originally. I was not very skilled at soldering or trimming Wiis when I originally purchased this and attempted to build it then but I wasn’t able to finish it and it would’ve been a hot glue mess anyways so it's for the best I waited until now. I considered building it many times but procrastinated as I was waiting for my skills to develop and the right boards.

IMG_3507.JPG

IMG_1932.jpg

Not sure if I broke the rules trying to preserve what the PiiWii pocket was at the time by using more advanced boards but I feel this puts my own unique spin on it and I was still forced to cram everything and save as much space as possible. With the direct drive the screen looks amazing and I haven’t been able to experience it until now. Overall this was such a refreshing build. It made it more fun to be able to do things my own way with less streamline in builds such as the GBoy and the Ashida. It was challenging at times since I gave up on planning after the back half was complete. The direct drive was pretty difficult also but I'm glad I was able to make it work for this build! If I were to go back and revise this build I would clean up the magnet wire between the two halves and the controller wiring as well. I could also mount the direct drive beneath the Wii but I wasn't sure if the PMS would create interference so I will most likely leave the build as it is for now.

Here is a link to the worklog if you would like to check it out: https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/modernish-piiwii-pocket.5990/

I have also uploaded some of the 3D printed mounts I designed to help me with this build but not sure it will be useful since the original requires a laser cutter to build the case for this unit.

Huge thanks to @Shank for sharing resources on the PiiWii pocket and allowing me to purchase this case. I’m glad I was able to make something out of it even if it was 7 years later. Thanks to @Aurelio for developing the direct drive board this thing is amazing! Thanks to @YveltalGriffin for sharing the 3.5 inch screen info for the direct drive and thanks to @Gman for inspiration on the build and also developing the 4Layer tech boards. You guys are all amazing and I appreciate you making portablizing so accessible for everyone. I love this hobby!

Attachments

Last edited:

Y2K

"The PS1 Guy"
Staff member
A new build with a direct drive in 2024?! And a revival of an old classic! You sir get a gold medal!

A suggestion, your wiring is a little spaghetti. One thing I recommend you do is bundle sets of magnet wire together (ones that are not noise sensitive, I should add) by tying more magnet wire around them. It'll greatly clean things up and give you that professional work! Otherwise, very old school, love it!

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Absolutely love it. Wish mine turned out this well. Makes me wanna revisit the PWP someday

A new build with a direct drive in 2024?! And a revival of an old classic! You sir get a gold medal!

A suggestion, your wiring is a little spaghetti. One thing I recommend you do is bundle sets of magnet wire together (ones that are not noise sensitive, I should add) by tying more magnet wire around them. It'll greatly clean things up and give you that professional work! Otherwise, very old school, love it!
Yeah I was thinking of going back and tidying up the wires. Unfortunately the internals are pretty sensitive so it will be difficult but I definitely will one of these days.

Absolutely love it. Wish mine turned out this well. Makes me wanna revisit the PWP someday
Thanks man it means a lot, its such a great form factor and fun build! I'm glad I had the opportunity to make one

Shank

Staff member
Portables
It really is a comfortable form factor. Once I held the SL-57 in my hands I was like "yup, this is right". Maybe I should go after an SL-53ish case design in the future.