Worklog Miceeno's N64 Portable

Discussion in 'Nintendo 64' started by Miceeno, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Miceeno .

Portables:
    It's done.

01-Front.jpg

This contest is a good motivator to finish this N64 I have with an UltraVGA. My primary objective is to build a ghetto single board N64. Since I don't have the experience designing custom PCB's I will just glue stuff together. I should probably just buy Eagle and spend a couple of hours learning it but I've already started this the ghetto way.

So far I have the following parts:
    --Rev05 N64
    --5 inch VGA Screen and Board
    --Red Board Battery Board
    --4x Panasonic 3400mAh
    --18650 Battery Holder's
    --UltraVGA
    --24 Pin DIP to FPC (because I'm lazy and don't want to solder directly to the UltraVGA)
    --PAM8803 Audio Amp
    --08080808080808080 Ti Regulators (3.3v and 5v, I'm not relying on the low dropout regulator for 5v because it drops out around 6.8v and the batteries aren't depleted until 6v)
    --A chunk of PCB from a Router that has a push button switch, barrel jack, and a tact button

So here's what I have so far:

Main Board.JPG

Main Board Back (cropped).jpg

VRM 3.JPG

UltraVGA Solder 3.JPG

Screen Controller Close.JPG

Audio Amp 2.JPG

Red Board 1.JPG

Power Switch 1.JPG

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    BocuD, MRKane, mknrls and 1 other person like this.
  2. DeoNaught .

Portables:
    sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
    Btw, there's a free version of Eagle, which about everyone here uses. and then you have Kicad, which I use along with some other members, I learned How to use it in like three days(I used a video), It'll probably take you less, since you have more experience with with console modding. :)

Miceeno likes this.
  3. Miceeno .

Portables:
    I'll have to look into Eagle. Last I checked (years ago) the free version was limited to 2"x2" single layer, single side. I'm not as poor as I used to be so I don't mind buying a liscence to good software. My only hesitation would be crossplatform support as I'm trying to get away from Windows.

4. BocuD .

Portables:
    Well about that.. Eagle runs on Winblows, Mac and Linux, so getting away from it won't be a problem. ;)
    Portable is looking amazing btw, its so neat.. Can't wait to see it finished!
    and lose the contest to it if I ever finish mine

Miceeno likes this.
  5. GingerOfOz no wario Staff Member . .

Portables:
    Eagle is a bit more giving with their free version nowadays. Now you're able to make 2 layer boards, use both sides, and I'm not sure what the maximum board size is but I've never even come close to touching it. Also if you're a student, then you can link your student email and get the full version free for two years. Haven't bothered to do that yet since the free version has everything ai need right now.

Miceeno and cheese like this.
  6. Miceeno .

Portables:
    My front board is done.

--SuperPad64
    --3DS Slider
    --Random Buttons from China
    --DSLite Speakers
    --5 Inch 640x480 Screen

10 Front Board Done.JPG

11 Front Board Done Back.JPG

01 Front Board Empty 1.JPG

02 Front Board Empty 2.JPG

03 Front Board Buttons cropped.jpg

7. Miceeno .

Portables:
    Oops, I forgot to post these when I finished machining them. They're still a little dirty and are impossible to keep clean any way (finger print magnets). I made some mistakes along the way but didn't want to scrap the whole part so I "fixed" them. I did this on a manual milling machine without much of a plan except taking measurements off the main board and front board and test fitting as I worked. I probably should have taken the time to CAD/CAM the project and run it on one of the CNC milling machines but keeping with the spirit of a ghetto single(ish) board N64 Portable I figured I'd just wing it.

I whittled this case from two 1.25"x6"x9" pieces of 6061 aluminum bar and one piece of 0.125" of 5052 aluminum sheet. I had to JB weld some brass screw posts in the front half after the fact because the front board flexed way too much when buttons where pressed. Then I also miss measured the holes to screw the back half to the N64 stock heat-sink mount. Another part I screwed up was I had some chatter when relieving the analog stick area but left it because I sort of looks cool (I also didn't leave enough material on the bottom portion so there is a small hole). And finally I broke the tap on the last hole on the back half of the case. So I had to use a trepan cutter to extract the tap. So that was filled with JB weld and re-tapped. Like I said I made some minor mistakes but fixed them well enough to get the job done.

Also, this is probably the first aluminum portable this community has seen (outside of BenHeck and DarkUncle33 360/PS3 laptops). So I'd like to point out how I engineered the case to be one big heatsink in case it wasn't obvious.

Front-2.jpg

Front-Inside-2.jpg

Back-3.jpg

Back-Inside-3.jpg

Back-Plate.jpg

Here's it put together. The final dimensions are: 8.75"x5.25"x2.35". This thing is THICC

Done-Front-5.jpg

Done-Up-4.jpg

Shank, MRKane, Pinotte and 8 others like this.
  8. DeoNaught .

Portables:
    sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
    Not even a caliper can Measure how cool this is!

I love the Aluminum Equals Case and heatsink >:D

BocuD, Miceeno, Pacal and 1 other person like this.
  9. link270 .

THIC! Looks really nice!!

Miceeno likes this.
  10. Stitches 2 and a Half Dollarydoos Staff Member . .

Portables:
    Better than using batteries as a heatsink amirite?

DeoNaught, BocuD and Miceeno like this.
  11. Madmorda Painting Queen Staff Member . . .

Portables:
    WHAT IS THIS SORCERY?! I can't believe you made that. I can't even wrap my head around how you got it so detailed and perfect. Seriously awesome work :D

Miceeno likes this.
  12. MRKane .

Excuse the delay as I collect the mechanism for my dropped jaw and get around to commending you on that case work! It is seriously something else and I dearly hope you don't paint it but keep it as a testament to what it truly is!
    Also: I work developing trackers for various sports events, sailing, surfing, car racing etc. and you know what I really like? Well made hardware that you could beat someone to death with...or just hammer in nails...yeah...I'll go with "nails".

Miceeno likes this.
  13. Downing .

Portables:
    20ish...
    Brings back memories of the CNC days! Love where you're going with this!

Miceeno likes this.
  14. Miceeno .

Portables:
    Thanks guys.

It's done.

It's heavy but extremely solid. So far I've been able to get 4.5 hours of battery life (the low battery LED turns off when there's 1 hour left). The only things I wasn't able to get 100% in time for this contest was attaching the Expansion Pak to the case's built in heat sink and one battery bank has to go in upside down to fit better.

13-Internal.jpg

14--Internal.jpg

15--Internal.jpg

16--Internal.jpg

01-Front.jpg

03-.jpg

05-.jpg

07-.jpg

10-.jpg

E64, Nold, Gman and 3 others like this.
  15. BocuD .

Portables:
    Looks really nice if a bit chunky. And damn that video is good.. Also how did you get the assembly done so fast? It blew my mind lol

Miceeno likes this.
  16. Miceeno .

Portables:
    I designed this to be easy to assemble and disassemble. It takes about 10 minutes (I did it once off camera before I filmed it). My only regret is the hot glue on the indicator leds and volume buttons. That part takes forever to assemble and disassemble. One day I'll swear off the hot glue.

BocuD likes this.
  17. Madmorda Painting Queen Staff Member . . .

Portables:
    10423210.gif
    Seriously great work :D

Miceeno likes this.
  18. Downing .

Portables:
    20ish...
    Nice job man! Amazing video work as well, that had to have took some time!

Miceeno likes this.
  19. link270 .

I really like that you basically have it setup with two main boards that sit on top of each other, then the stuff in the back. Looks really easy to assemble and keeps it clean.

Miceeno likes this.
  20. nobble .

Portables:
    9000+
    Props for making the largest heatsink inside a portable! That video was a gift to us all. :)

Miceeno and Nold like this.