Worklog (IT'S FINISHED) The Mumble Driim (Making my very first portable)

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member

Mumble

Portables
Today I accomplished my first successful soldering job!

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Congrats Mumble! It may be a small step, but it's such a good feeling getting your game to play on a tiny screen. Before you know it, all the pieces will start falling into place.

Mumble

Portables
Congrats Mumble! It may be a small step, but it's such a good feeling getting your game to play on a tiny screen. Before you know it, all the pieces will start falling into place.
It's a really good feeling :), thanks!

Mumble

Portables
Today I soldered the Power and Composite directly to the LCD, so I don't have to use those big fat wires.
But, one of the wires moved, and I saw a shock, and the Wii shut off, and wouldn't turn on...However, I did a little research and found out that unplugging the Wii's power for 2 minutes or so could save it, so I tried it, and it seems to be working for now. I'm still a bit "iffy" though and not sure if this is a good thing. I did have the heat sink off, and that's my guess what the problem was.

Noah

retired
Portables
Today I soldered the Power and Composite directly to the LCD, so I don't have to use those big fat wires.
But, one of the wires moved, and I saw a shock, and the Wii shut off, and wouldn't turn on...However, I did a little research and found out that unplugging the Wii's power for 2 minutes or so could save it, so I tried it, and it seems to be working for now. I'm still a bit "iffy" though and not sure if this is a good thing. I did have the heat sink off, and that's my guess what the problem was.
The "shock" would have been a short. Having the heatsink off wouldn't make a difference.

Mumble

Portables
The "shock" would have been a short. Having the heatsink off wouldn't make a difference.
Are you sure? I had the heat sink off before, and if I remember correctly the same thing happened actually. (aside from the shock)
Last time it stayed on for a while, and then shut off.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
The Wii will shut off if it overheats, just like any good computer should. However, if you saw a shock, then that was a short and had nothing to do with overheating.

Noah

retired
Portables
Are you sure? I had the heat sink off before, and if I remember correctly the same thing happened actually. (aside from the shock)
Last time it stayed on for a while, and then shut off.
Well yeah, if it gets too hot it might auto shut off to prevent any kind of damage. But the shock was definitely a short.

Mumble

Portables
The Wii will shut off if it overheats, just like any good computer should. However, if you saw a shock, then that was a short and had nothing to do with overheating.
Well yeah, if it gets too hot it might auto shut off to prevent any kind of damage. But the shock was definitely a short.
Okay. Well I'll take it as it works for now. Does anyone know the average temps of the Wii?

Mumble

Portables
Here's some pics:

I decided to just screw it and reuse the wii case. Not sure how comfortable it is going to be to hold as a portable, but hey, I'm not complaining. I plan on making it vertical, no reason in particular. I also found out the hard way that I'm going to be using Wii remotes instead of Gamecube controllers. Why you ask? Well, first off it will look cooler because the wii remote is vertical, and the system will be too. The other reason is because from overdoses of soldering to snapping them in half just by trying to open them up, gamecube controllers have caused a huge anger issue I cannot describe. My soul feels like it is just going to scream until it breaks all of it's vocal cords (if souls have those). But then I found out that you can play gamecube games with the wii remote via nintendont, which is what Portablize Mii uses.
So big long paragraph here, but who knows it could be helpful for someone who doesn't want to go through 8 controllers.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Are you going to trim/replace the stock heatsink? I have similar plans for my portable, except the screen is on the other end and the stock heatsink goes almost to the top of the case.

Btw, if you want an easyish way to make the screen mounting look nice, go to ebay and get the cheapest reverse monitor you can find of the same size as your screen. You can then frankencase the reverse monitor bezel in and have a perfect sized hole for the screen.

Mumble

Portables
Are you going to trim/replace the stock heatsink? I have similar plans for my portable, except the screen is on the other end and the stock heatsink goes almost to the top of the case.

Btw, if you want an easyish way to make the screen mounting look nice, go to ebay and get the cheapest reverse monitor you can find of the same size as your screen. You can then frankencase the reverse monitor bezel in and have a perfect sized hole for the screen.
I was considering bending the heat sink, but since I'm reusing the wii case without a disc drive or all the other bulky stuff, I don't see a reason to bend it. I probably would've made it look nice if I hadn't run into so many previous problems with this project, but instead I'm at that "Screw it, if it looks like bull crap I couldn't care" point in time. So it may not look beautiful, but it'll be alright for my first I suppose.

I remember when I learned a lot of stuff on game design, the very first thing I wanted to do was make the most hardcore-epic-10/10 IGN game ever. So I would just learn all through out one huge big awesome project. After a while I ended up regretting it, it would have been so much easier if I had just made something easy that I could accomplish, rather than trying to make something that I can't make.

Still learning from this forum, but I think that lesson will stick with me :awesome:

Mumble

Portables
It's finished.
Here's some pictures:

All I have to do is attatch some Wii controllers, after that, it's finished!

BocuD

Portables
How did you fix the power issue, where the wii would shut of automatically?