Discussion Ideas, questions, etc, Post em here!

Hello! I'm completely new to portablizing, and was looking to design and make a Wii portable. I have a couple questions, and wanted to see if anyone could help me out with them.
1. I saw another post on this thread about switching from internal output to some other kind of output (to a TV for example). I want to incorporate this into my portable, and was wondering how I would go about switching the signal from the internal screen and if it is possible to change it into an HDMI signal (Or if this is a bad idea and I should avoid it entirely).
2. Does the BitBuilt launcher have support for switching between widescreen and 3:4 ratio? I wanted to incorporate a 7" 16:9 screen, but if it stretches gamecube games, I may want to switch to a 3:4 screen.
3. Does anyone know the dimensions of the "USB-C PD Charging + Internal USB Drive" so I can properly incorporate it into my design?
4. Does anyone have any tact switches they would recommend (also some soft actuation switches for dual-tact modding)? I can't seem to find any under 160g actuation force, and although this seems excessive I really have no idea, so...
5. Can anyone point me in the direction of 3ds button and joystick models? Or at least measurements? I'm planning on at least using 3ds joysticks, but I can't seem to find their measurements anywhere, even after searching for them literally all day.

I know this is a lot, but I'd really appreciate if any of these questions are answered (especially the ones to do with size specifications..). Thanks!

Last edited:
Portables
(have two in production behind the scenes)
So I was looking through some portables, such as the Wii SP and some other ones like Jeff's portables and I noticed something. They typically have 14.8v 4S, but I noticed that they have around 2-4 microcontrollers (PIC16F1503's on the Wii SP Power Board for instance) and those take up at least 2.3v minimum, and 5.5v max. But thing is, if they have 2-4 microcontrollers on each board, the voltage required would go way over 14.8v 4S. Thing is, I think I'm missing some important info in my knowledge. let's say I powered a PIC16F1503 with ± 5v, but I had multiple of those. So like, aren't each of those microcontrollers being powered not by seperate ± 5v signals, but by the same one? And can I power it by the minimum voltage? Ig in short, how are all those 5-10 ± 5v microcontrollers not exceeding 14.8v 4S when all the voltage is combined together?
I apologize for noob question, but it's the only thing I don't quite yet understand in PCB design. Everything else, I understand :P But not this part.

EDIT: I did have some of the Wii SP kicad pcb files from when they were still shared on Oshpark, but looking at those Im still not getting it I think.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, but generally things on boards are powered in parallel, not series. 14.8v is a much higher voltage than just just about any portable Wii system would need.

Portables
(have two in production behind the scenes)
No worries, that is actually what I needed to know. Thanks Ginger ol buddy, and hope you enjoy the Movie Ch. Install Disc stuff I gave ya :D

EDIT: I thought it double posted because there was a glitch, sorry about that

Portables
I did the OM6 trim and i feel like i overtrimmed a little bit on the top. Can i still use this wii? Thanks unnamed.jpgunnamed (1).jpgunnamed (2).jpgunnamed (3).jpg

I came across a video for this wiiboy and portable console stuff and had some questions since I may be interested in starting my own DIY of it.

1. What are the basic materials I’ll need to pull this off (portable console building)?

2. Theoretically is it possible to make a portable wii with a psp like setup (in a way) where the console is ran and emulates the wii games, from let’s say a micro sd card, but then has a disc drive like the psp’s where the game cube games could be read/ran from?

A_s6

Portables
i don’t give a hee ho
I came across a video for this wiiboy and portable console stuff and had some questions since I may be interested in starting my own DIY of it.

1. What are the basic materials I’ll need to pull this off (portable console building)?

2. Theoretically is it possible to make a portable wii with a psp like setup (in a way) where the console is ran and emulates the wii games, from let’s say a micro sd card, but then has a disc drive like the psp’s where the game cube games could be read/ran from?
1. you're going to need a wii, some custom regulators, battery management, controls, an audio amp, a screen, batteries, and a case. tools will include a good temperature controlled soldering iron, screwdrivers, dremel, wire, solder, flux and a few other things
2. a wii probably won't fit the exact dimensions of a psp, but i guess a similar form factor could work. a disc drive in a portable kind of ruins the point of the portable. the disc drive of a wii is big, slow, and obsolete when loading games through usb is much faster

information regarding most of what i said is available in the console modding 101 section and in the guide hub

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
So, I got a TFT backup monitor, I have the perfect spot for the driver board in my design, but the way the ribbon cable is designed it can't go anywhere but right in the middle of the screens back.
So I was wondering if it would be a good idea to solder wires between the board contacts and the ribbon cable connector as a sort of mini extension, so I can move the board down to the side. If so, what kind of wire gauge should I use, or is there a better solution?
The spacing on those ribbons cables is pretty small, it will be difficult to solder. You can get extensions though, just count how many wires there are and search for a "FPC extension". Here's an example of one from one of my local places: https://core-electronics.com.au/40-...bGjwozoY1gclyxP3LWKmrrC_xD6WFDpBoCPGsQAvD_BwE

blue01

Hello, I tried to make the OM6 trim but i think i mess up or what do you think?
IMG_20200917_210214.jpg
IMG_20200917_210233.jpg

Hello first of all I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm currently working on making a super portable controller that I can take with me said that I'm going to use 3ds joysticks since they're so low profile. I will be 3d printing the vas e it I know nothing about screws so to my question.

What kind of screws does the 3ds use to hold it's joystick in place? Or how can I secure the joystick in place?

Sorry for the long post and the small question and hope someone can help me.

Attachments

Senor Avocado

2022 2nd Place Winner
Hey Jilermo If you check out my worklog https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/gc.3592/ i made a mini gamecube controller using 3ds sliders. I ended up using some of the longer screws off of a broken ds lite that I scavenged for the buttons, membranes, screws, pcb and various other parts. perhaps it can provide some guidance or inspiration as you make your mini bluetooth controller!

Hello! Just a few questions about wii portables. Are the wii modding items on the bitbuilt store going to come back in stock any time soon? I am interested in trying to fab a G-wii, however many of the components are out of stock currently. I have a 4-layer wii-board ready to be trimmed, but most of the other parts I would need to order (unless they can be 3-D printed.) Also, what is the comparative difficulty of the G-wii? I am attracted to the design because of it's landscape orientation, however, looking into build logs others have posted, it seems quite a bit more difficult than the G-boy. Any idea as to the complete-ability for a novice?

Cheers

A_s6

Portables
i don’t give a hee ho
it’s probably a little more complicated than the g boy but not by much. you can 3d print the case for the g wii

Valcom

I have an idea for a plugin/hack for the wii/ wii u that might change how we play the games, but I don't know how to make plugins or hacks so I'm just going to give away the idea to whoever wants to make it. The idea is a plugin that allows you to remap wiimote controls for wii games so that you can use a classic controller or a wii u gamepad to play all the wii u games without needing the game to have compatibility. There are a lot of wii games that I feel like I'd like more with a classic controller or a wii u gamepad but they don't have compatibility. like Kirby: return to dreamland or Super mario galaxy. and I know this plugin just might be the fix we need.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I have an idea for a plugin/hack for the wii/ wii u that might change how we play the games, but I don't know how to make plugins or hacks so I'm just going to give away the idea to whoever wants to make it. The idea is a plugin that allows you to remap wiimote controls for wii games so that you can use a classic controller or a wii u gamepad to play all the wii u games without needing the game to have compatibility. There are a lot of wii games that I feel like I'd like more with a classic controller or a wii u gamepad but they don't have compatibility. like Kirby: return to dreamland or Super mario galaxy. and I know this plugin just might be the fix we need.
You just described Aurelio's GC2Wiimote emulation patch that already exists for the Wii (only it uses a gamecube controller as physical input). Classic controller compatibility was floated at one point, but I have no idea if it'll ever happen. It's a bit impractical and complex to integrate into portables, which is the main focus here. Also afaik no-one here really wants to work on modifying BBLoader or GC2Wiimote to work on the Wii U due to its currently un-portabliseable nature, and vWii being kinda shit.

Portables
0, planning on making one
You just described Aurelio's GC2Wiimote emulation patch that already exists for the Wii (only it uses a gamecube controller as physical input). Classic controller compatibility was floated at one point, but I have no idea if it'll ever happen. It's a bit impractical and complex to integrate into portables, which is the main focus here. Also afaik no-one here really wants to work on modifying BBLoader or GC2Wiimote to work on the Wii U due to its currently un-portabliseable nature, and vWii being kinda shit.
Portable wiiu wen ?

WII WONT BOOT WITH RVL-PMS

I wanted to test my Wii before I started to trim it to make sure that it was working still after I removed all the on board regulators I wired up all the voltages as shown in this pics. But the led light on the motherboard won't light up as if it's receiving no power from the RVL- PMS which doesn't make any sense to me I check the voltages and they all seemed to be correct and I also tried to connect the video output cable to a tv to test if it was working but not showing a visual indicator that it was. I have bbloader installed on it as well. Any ideas of how I could figure out if this Wii is working or not?
View attachment 20210516_200206_compress92.jpgView attachment 20210516_200141_compress57.jpgView attachment 20210516_200053_compress48.jpgView attachment 20210516_200039_compress62.jpg