Question how to trim a wii motherboard as small as possible

i am looking to make a portable and i was looking into how to trim the board and i saw there were 3 diffrent ways to trim it but there was only a guide on how to trim it to the biggest size but i would like to trim it as small as possible and i was wondering if anyone had a guide or could help me with trimming it down to as small as possible

(i would like to cut it like the red outline in this post https://bitbuilt.net/2016/10/18/the-wiiboy-writeup-thats-way-better-than-noahs/)

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Beyond the standard trim, your returns diminish quickly, and your troubleshooting goes up exponentially. Its not recommended that you do anything beyond the standard trim without first having a solid understanding of the inner layers of the Wii's circuit board, and experience troubleshooting. I can count the number of people who have done an omega trim on one hand, and as of now, I'm not even one of them.

Besides, chances are you don't even NEED to trim the board that small. The standard trim is the size of a credit card, so if you are trying to make your first portable smaller than that, you are likely biting off more than you can chew. For reference the PiiWii Pocket, second only in tinyness to the abomination that is the KillMii, used a pretty standard trim, and still achieved a tiny form factor. I would strongly suggest that you stick to the standard trim featured in the trimming guide until you have a solid enough understanding of the Wii and the process of making portables.

Portables
0 :(
Or be like me and Fry 6 wii's trying to do a nand relocation before finally getting a flex cable from aurelio and still struggling. If you haven't already designed your case; Id design it for the standard trim. Unfortunately I already cnc'd my case and was stuck with The NeverEnding attempt of the LMAO V.2 trim. ( Big thanks to @Aurelio for the flex cable for finally allowing me to final succeed ) Now I'm terrified to actually do the trim now that the nand is relocated.

Last edited:

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
I can count the number of people who have done an omega trim on one hand, and as of now, I'm not even one of them.
afaik you can count the number of ppl, who did a WORKING omega, on one finger - lol.
But now since i'm ESD-free, i should give it another go...

//Edit:
Btw. I did a lot of LMAOs & stuff, mostly out of fun/challenge. But everything i needed to know, i mostly researched myself. The guides, compendium & pics of other trims give you a good insight of what can be done / should not. So for me it was a long process + i already had decent soldering skills and basic knowledge about electronics / reversing pcbs.

In the end i must say: go OMGWTF. It's simple, easy to sand, nothing big to relocate. and screw-ports! and it's still a very small trim.