Worklog Miimboy Advanced

After a long hiatus and many failed attempts, I'm finally going to try and finish my Wii portable. The difference this time being I'm going to take my time and try to complete everything as carefully and professionally as possible. I think I've made sufficient progress to warrant a worklog.

Preparing the Wii

I had issues with installing PortablizeMii because this Wii was modded by the previous owner. After hours of troubleshooting, I was able to install the NoWifi cIOS by first installing PostablizeMii with retained WiFi functionality, and afterwards installing the NoWiFi cIOS in Multi-Mod-Manager. I wasn't able to install the cIOS until PortablizeMii was installed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here is me booting up the Wii for the first time with PortablizeMii properly configured

Getting pretty excited at this point, but not a huge accomplishment.

Next, I wanted to test my custom regulators prior to trimming. I've had 3 failed Wii portable attempts, all of which I was never able to get to boot with custom regulators. I was starting to think it was the regulators themselves so I had to make sure I did this step flawlessly to know for sure if the regulators worked or not.

The Wii is starting to look pretty naked with the onboard regulators removed

U10 relocated

First time booting a Wii with custom regulators

FUCK YES

This is technically the most progress I've ever made on a Wii. Now to see if I can properly trim it.

Marked & Masked

And it actually works!

Case

To be updated soon. Planning to 3d print a case which is heavily influenced by the Gameboy Advanced with an interesting twist.

Update April 30, 2017

Made a small bit of progress with the case

Started by tracing a picture of a Gameboy Advanced. Afterwards, I decided that since I will be 3D printing my case, I should explore unique possibilities and customization to utilize the limitless options available when 3D printing

This is what I came up with...

The idea is to have a case which fits comfortably in the hand and fits N64-style triggers all while still paying homage to the Gameboy Advanced.

This is actually the 2nd case I've designed for a portable. I first made this case for a school assignment. It is pretty much a replica of Ashen's Gamecube Revolution.

I will be recycling some of the parts of this case in the new design because I know for a fact that the button and screen measurements are accurate.

That's all for now. I am still not very well acquainted with CAD design, so this a bit of a learning experience. Will hopefully make more progress on the case soon so I can move on to something else.

Last edited:

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Damn, looks like you're nailing it. I like seeing that people actually masking tape off the board properly, and the U10 image is a nice miim.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Nice! This is what I like in a worklog. Great pictures to tell a story, and words for details. You are clearly reading the guides, taking your time, and doing it right. I'm looking forward to more progress on this one. Keep at it!

I'm really grateful for the support so far. I worked on the case a little bit over the weekend.
Added to original post:

Made a small bit of progress with the case

Started by tracing a picture of a Gameboy Advanced. Afterwards, I decided that since I will be 3D printing my case, I should explore unique possibilities and customization to utilize the limitless options available when 3D printing

This is what I came up with...

The idea is to have a case which fits comfortably in the hand and fits N64-style triggers all while still paying homage to the Gameboy Advanced.

This is actually the 2nd case I've designed for a portable. I first made this case for a school assignment. It is pretty much a replica of Ashen's Gamecube Revolution.

I will be recycling some of the parts of this case in the new design because I know for a fact that the button and screen measurements are accurate.

That's all for now. I am still not very well acquainted with CAD design, so this a bit of a learning experience. Will hopefully make more progress on the case soon so I can move on to something else.