Discussion Ideas, questions, etc, Post em here!

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Got some questions? Maybe got an idea or tutorial to talk about in the beginners forum? Post it here!

Also, suggestions for the introduction thread are welcome!

RULES:
  • Make sure to read through everything BEFORE posting.
  • Don't post just to say someone is stupid. If something is a bad idea, explain why!

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Lets try to start a variety of threads so there can be some organization to it.

duncan

what kinds of batteries should i use far a uncut wii . where should i connect them to the wii board

duncan

for a new thread can we talk about the different trims for the consoles

Shank

Staff member
Portables
What if we had a few different threads that were FAQs for specific subjects, and if your question wasn't there in the thread, you ask in the thread, and we add it to the FAQ?
Potential topic threads:
Battery FAQ
Custom Regulators FAQ
Soldering FAQ
Equipment and tools FAQ
Basic electronics FAQ

Just an idea

Not sure if there's any other FAQ threads, but I found this one.

Was wondering if anyone could link me on where to find a 3.3v step down regulator for a portable N64. I looked around on Texas Instruments, but to be honest with you, that website just confuses me and I figure lots of people have bought the exact same thing I'm looking for so if someone could link me that would be great.

Thanks

Noah

retired
Portables
Not sure if there's any other FAQ threads, but I found this one.

Was wondering if anyone could link me on where to find a 3.3v step down regulator for a portable N64. I looked around on Texas Instruments, but to be honest with you, that website just confuses me and I figure lots of people have bought the exact same thing I'm looking for so if someone could link me that would be great.

Thanks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Seller-...hash=item23794a18d0:m:mRft3SxQbM2uZUI0JXGa62g

Noah

retired
Portables
So that will work for an N64? Sorry, I'm a bit new to this if you can't tell XD

I'm just trying to get a list of the basic things I need.
Yep! That's a pack of two of them but is actually cheaper than most packs of one. :P

No worries, everyone starts somewhere!

Another quick question for whoever's still on. I'm looking around for 2k resistors (as I think those are the best for N64's?) and does it matter how many watts? (ex. 1/4, 1/2, 1) and it looks like they come in huge quantities too! But that isn't an issue.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Needs to be at least 0.05w (1/20w) or greater. The resistance will set the output voltage on the PTH08080s, here is a table of resistances to voltages

A friend of mine and I are trying to learn to start building consoles. What are some pointers and helpful guides and things to look at?

Also, if I wanted to 3d Print casing, what material should I use for the safest and sturdiest method? Is 3d Printing buttons worth it or not?

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Untitled.png

Seems like you've got the right idea. And welcome, by the way!
A friend of mine and I are trying to learn to start building consoles.
I really hope you mean portables. I mean, if you want to consolize a PSP or Game Gear, that's not too much of a stretch from portablizing.

A great place to start is learning how to solder, then learning how to tap a video signal from a console's motherboard, read up on batteries... Once you start digging, you'll pick up a lot.

I've heard from 3D printer owners that ABS is a good sturdy material for printing. PLA isn't as strong. Or so I've heard. I still do all my 3D "printing" with popsicle sticks and duct tape.

Ampz

A friend of mine and I are trying to learn to start building consoles. What are some pointers and helpful guides and things to look at?

Also, if I wanted to 3d Print casing, what material should I use for the safest and sturdiest method? Is 3d Printing buttons worth it or not?
I'd recommend learning how to program in C++ since it's a language used a lot in the gaming industry, check out Simple Programmer for this he has videos that helped a noob like me XD, try to also make a MVP (Minimum Viable Product), an MVP is a version of your product with the bare minimum to do it's basic necessities, give it to your target market group of testers and get their opinion on it.

Try to also approach split testing as well, split testing is where you give different versions of your product to different people and record their feedback and see which version of your product was the most praised.

Oh, and one more thing is to map out your motherboard and know where you want each and every component to be, continuously test to check for issues and how to solve them.

Now for your question about 3D printing materials I'm not so sure as I do not own one yet.

TL;DR Learn C++ and search about on Google for what other gaming companies do.

EDIT: My bad if you meant portablize or consolize I thought you meant you actually wanted to start mass producing your own consoles.

Last edited: