Worklog Wii Portable - 2018 Contest Submission

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Hey boiiizZ,

sadly my trimmed PS2 died... so I'm doing a totally boring WiiP instead... Also it will mainly be made out of parts i had laying around anyways :D Basically i'm using this contest as a motivation & deadline to finally GET SOMETHING DONE! :facepalm:

So prepare for just yet another wii/gc portable, here are the planned specs:
  • Trimmed Wii (LMAO... which i had a OMGWTF now - duh)
  • Custom 3D-Printed Case (that looks like every other WiiP)
  • 3DS Buttons, Switch Analog-Sticks & GC+
  • 4x 18650 with >5000mAh & Smart-Charger
  • 5" 16:9 Screen (Composite)
  • BT
  • No Wifi, no "breakout box", no VGA, no custom PCBs, it doesn't even have a name!...
I hope I'll be done with the case design soon. My living-room table looks like crap for the last few days..
DSCF6930.JPG

Even if i miss frankencasing a lot right now, i think i did pretty well so far (for my first self designed case)..
wiip_case.png

I'm only waiting for the final heatsink/fan to arrive so I can finish up the design... I have two of the small 30mm sonon heatsink/fan's some of you guys are using.. but they are just muuuch too loud for me... I want my portables to be as quiet as possible ^^....

Can't wait for the REAL fun to start B| smol wires... tons of hotglue.. funny fumes... lot's of untested stuff... :D which me luck!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's done. I made a smol video & hope you like it:

Review/Pro & Cons:
The WooDii is the first Portable I'm really happy with. It's case became smooth & nice. And for my first 3d-printed case, i'm pretty proud of it. The controls could be a little more ergonomic but it's ok. The battery lifetime is great, i don't even know exactly how long it lasts, but i would say at least 3 hours. The heatsink works great, the mainboard stays really cool. Also the speakers i've been using sound really good. When i play racing games, i can even feel the engine! :D

The worst thing is the screen, it has a really bad contrast ration, but it's ok for most of the games. (it looks worse in the video than it actually is). The switch-analogs are a little insensitive, but was expecting that - as it's the same on the switch.

Next time i'll definitely not use a LMAO trim (if i don't need it), cause mounting it nicely is damn hard..

Anyways here are some more promo-pics :D
jungle_main.JPG

in_de_jungle2.JPG

link_at_beach.JPG

mainboard.JPG

It really sucks to mount an LMAO.. All I can do is hope that the epoxy & thermal-glue will hold everything together >.<''

final_internals.JPG

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
ooo I like the two tone case

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
ooo I like the two tone case
haha... i was just running out of green filament :D :D
And in FreeCAD it's just for a better contrast...

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
those are some nice colors, are you gonna stick with those?

Those joycon buttons? Plz tell me I'm not the only one struggling with those
Can I cross reference Joycon sticks with your's?(or atleast check mine)
Here's mine if you are willing to check
Capture.PNG

Measurements are MM

BocuD

Portables
  • Trimmed Wii (LMAO... wish i had a OMGWTF now - duh)
ಠ_ಠ stfu jk I admire your work but pls don't say that

Case design looks nice! Yes, maybe it looks like many other Wii portables, but who says that's a bad thing? ;)
Especially those switch analog sticks are very nice. More people should use those imo.. Why do you not want to use BT btw, do you only plan on playing GC games? Also, did you look into the one red battery board? Is much easier (and better) then a smart charger if you ask me. It looks like you have the room for it with that LMAO trim of yours..
Either way, can't wait to see the final build!

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Why do you not want to use BT btw, do you only plan on playing GC games?
Yea, maybe i'm going to put one in.. but mainly for the homebrew's & maybe one day @Aurelio 's NSMB hack :)

Also, did you look into the one red battery board? Is much easier (and better) then a smart charger if you ask me.
I think we are talking about the same thing:

those are some nice colors, are you gonna stick with those?
Nope :P

Those joycon buttons? Plz tell me I'm not the only one struggling with those
Can I cross reference Joycon sticks with your's?(or atleast check mine)
Here's mine if you are willing to check
Are you struggeling with the 3D-design or electronics? I find them much easier to design than 3DS-Sliders.

I can't check right now but your design looks pretty good. except i had to move the hole for the Stick 1mm to the side, since the stick isn't in the center of the part.

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Here is a little update.

I (think) I finished the CAD work & started working on the electronics.
Everything is working fine so far: The regulators, Wii, heatsink, USB & even BT!

DSCF6936.JPG

This cheap 40mm heatsink is just great! the fan is made for 12v, but it's also running cool & quiet from 5v.
Oh and I recycled the USB-port of my broken ps2; it comes with a screwpost & 5v regulator on-board :D

More updates on the case coming soon.

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Put some work into the front today.. So me ppl... how do you like the WooDii?
DSCF6966.JPG

DSCF6965.JPG

This Woodfil stuff is awesome! It smells like wood, it feels like wood & you can sand it like wood. I just didn't have much luck staining it.. but it looks & feels great anyways!

Digipad, ABXY-Buttons & GC+ are already working. Thanks to Aurelio i could update the GC+ with a "DualTact" firmware :)

DSCF6973.JPG

So far I'm pretty happy with the results & project progress :)
Even if it's nothing compared to some of the other compo projects!

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
View attachment 6418
View attachment 6419

This Woodfil stuff is awesome! It smells like wood, it feels like wood & you can sand it like wood. I just didn't have much luck staining it.. but it looks & feels great anyways!

Digipad, ABXY-Buttons & GC+ are already working. Thanks to Aurelio i could update the GC+ with a "DualTact" firmware :)

View attachment 6420

I love the arches to route wires through. This was an idea I was planning to implement as well!

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
View attachment 6418
View attachment 6419

View attachment 6420

There's A snake in my Portable!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
View attachment 6418
View attachment 6419

View attachment 6420

Beautiful, but is that magnet wire 30AWG?