Release Wii native VGA - version 1.5

Depends on the monitor and cables, most cables will short RGND, GGND, BGND, and GND together (in the case of the Wii they should be connected together). Beyond those, the other pins don't matter, as those are for detecting the resolutions supported by the monitor
Thanks for your fast help! I just checked, the grounds are indeed already connected to one another. I hope I can solder those H/V sync wires, the legs of the AVE sure are tiny!

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Just make sure to have some solder wick on hand, you'll most likely end up bridging the pins and it's much easier to fix with wick

Kadano

Thanks for your fast help! I just checked, the grounds are indeed already connected to one another. I hope I can solder those H/V sync wires, the legs of the AVE sure are tiny!
If you're going to keep the Wii Multi AV port, you have a much easier time soldering to the pins there. Below is what I used.

Wii YPbPr VGAmod wiringxcf_cr.jpg

Edit: above is only valid for the RGB pins, the H and V pins are not actually wired this way. I just considered to connect them this way (by separating their traces and instead soldering to the H and V pins of the video chip) so that I could use Multi-AV to VGA cables I considered making, which I never actually did. So you still have to solder H and V from the more difficult pins.

Still, you might as well just skip this step and use Wii to HDMI adapters (with a HDMI to VGA adapter afterwards if you need VGA), if the extra external space doesn't bother you.

Last edited:
If you're going to keep the Wii Multi AV port, you have a much easier time soldering to the pins there. Below is what I used.

View attachment 11754
Still, you might as well just skip this step and use Wii to HDMI adapters (with a HDMI to VGA adapter afterwards if you need VGA), if the extra external space doesn't bother you.
Oh wow, that looks way easier to solder to, I will make sure to use these pads instead!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables

View attachment 11754
How are you getting H and V sync from those resistors? The sync pins on the AVE are NC.

Last edited:

Kadano

How are you getting H and V sync from those resistors? The sync pins on the AVE are NC.
Ah, thanks for alerting me to that. My idea when I made this picture was to separate the default traces connecting those pins, so that I could connect a Multi-AV plug to VGA cable. (I never went through with that, instead soldering internally.)
Of course in this case soldering to the H and V pins on the video chip (or the throughhole ones) to the marked pins would still be necessary, so only the soldering to the RGB pins becomes easier.

I edited my previous post accordingly. Sorry about the misinformation.

There is some possibility that this patch could be released for a common console without the need of a full portabilizemii pack? using original nand and menus

Noah

retired
Portables
There is some possibility that this patch could be released for a common console without the need of a full portabilizemii pack? using original nand and menus
I don't speak for Aurelio, but I have a feeling that he'll say something along these lines:

Most likely not. Aurelio is currently working on a replacement for the current version of PortablizeMii written from the ground up that includes a new interface and a replacement for neek as well. It will be much better than the current setup including allowing for the VGA patches to simply be toggled on and off while also negating the use of the original Wii menu altogether.

It's possible to boot into Priiloader and change the settings so that your Wii boots directly into the Wii menu, just like normal. That is most likely your best bet to achieve what you're looking for. :)

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Pretty much what Noah said is correct. Eventually I might, now it's not the right time

Am I the only one who likes the Wii default menu? Nintendo spent a lot of time creating all of the animations and transitions, and they look good. I'm sure the new interface will be good, but I fear it just won't feel like a wii anymore for me.

Though I'm likely not the target audience of the hack...

Last edited:
Am I the only one who likes the Wii default menu? Nintendo spent a lot of time creating all of the animations and transitions, and they look good. I'm sure the new interface will be good, but I fear it just won't feel like a wii anymore for me.
I have been known to leave my Wii on and listen to the menu song in the background as I do other stuff.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
The main issue with the default menu isn't how it looks, but more that it's basically unusable without a wii remote. This is completely impractical/unusable for portables, since the large majority of them will be using GC controls for basically all of their interaction.

The main issue with the default menu isn't how it looks, but more that it's basically unusable without a wii remote. This is completely impractical/unusable for portables, since the large majority of them will be using GC controls for basically all of their interaction.
I absolutely understand that, I was hoping Aurelio could fix that by adding the gamecube controller support to the wii menu without going through priiloader, but I understand that isn't a priority. I guess I just hope an option built around the default menu interface becomes available.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm super thankful for Aurelios contributions to the community. I just have some preferences against hacks that override a consoles "flavor".

Noah

retired
Portables
I'm sure the new interface will be good, but I fear it just won't feel like a wii anymore for me.
It won't but the new interface will be entirely customizable complete with a theme creator. So if you really wanted to you could restore it to it's former RVL glory.

Anyways even though it doesn't really belong in this thread, here's a little look at what the new one will look like:
game_select_browse.png

game_detail_screenshot_blur.png

Quick_Switch.png

settings_controller.png

NOTE: The switch theme is merely being used as a development basis. The stock theme that ships with the new loader will be different.

Attachments

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I absolutely understand that, I was hoping Aurelio could fix that by adding the gamecube controller support to the wii menu without going through priiloader, but I understand that isn't a priority. I guess I just hope an option built around the default menu interface becomes available.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm super thankful for Aurelios contributions to the community. I just have some preferences against hacks that override a consoles "flavor".
There is a public beta which supports it: https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.p...lation-through-gc-controller.2329/#post-29192
Whenever you boot anything it would stop working though

Understand. I was happy to know that a new version of portablizemii is coming out made completely from scratch, because my intention was to use the vga patch to enjoy it on a table console, just like an original console not a portable version, with just the vga patch installed and original menus, homebrews like usb loader gx, cause I particularly find the portablizemii menus a little complicated compared to a usb loader for example.

I still haven't found a way to transfer saves from other consoles and install wads because it uses an emunand and does not recognize sd card to copy the saves.

So I wanted to use only a vga mod, I believe that many people want to put only the mod on their consoles to enjoy the vga signals.

I will be waiting for the new version of the portablizemii, I'm sure it will be much higher.

Anyways even though it doesn't really belong in this thread, here's a little look at what the new one will look like:
View attachment 11961
NOTE: The switch theme is merely being used as a development basis. The stock theme that ships with the new loader will be different.
Hey, regardless of my preferences, the switch inspired interface look great. One piece of advice from a graphic designer by trade; the game display (both group and individual) looks a bit too tight and squished. If you compare this design to the switch, xbox one, ps4, or any modern game launcher menu you'll see the game icons have the space to be physically larger, bat arent to give the design some breathing space. Reducing the size of the game icons will make the menu appear more open and less cluttered. Negative space is your friend.

There is a public beta which supports it: https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.p...lation-through-gc-controller.2329/#post-29192
Whenever you boot anything it would stop working though
well hey, that's all I need to easily boot into gamecube and virtual console games, awesome.

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Understand. I was happy to know that a new version of portablizemii is coming out made completely from scratch, because my intention was to use the vga patch to enjoy it on a table console, just like an original console not a portable version, with just the vga patch installed and original menus, homebrews like usb loader gx, cause I particularly find the portablizemii menus a little complicated compared to a usb loader for example.

I still haven't found a way to transfer saves from other consoles and install wads because it uses an emunand and does not recognize sd card to copy the saves.

So I wanted to use only a vga mod, I believe that many people want to put only the mod on their consoles to enjoy the vga signals.

I will be waiting for the new version of the portablizemii, I'm sure it will be much higher.
You can install WiiWare and Virtual Console WADs to emuNAND with ShowMiiWADs, there's a thread on it https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/setting-up-wiiware-and-additional-emulators.392/

Saves on the other hand, I have no idea. Maybe there's a process you can do with SaveGame Manager GX to export, move, and import through NEEK, but I don't think anyone's done it yet.

Hey there,

I installed the VGA priiloader, and now my system won't boot. (Using composite cables). The disc drive spins, the light turns green, but no output over composite. Holding reset on boot won't load priiloader either. Any ideas on what I can do? I haven't yet soldered the RGBHV pins yet, so I haven't tested VGA, do you think maybe somehow it will work over VGA when composite isn't working?

Thanks!