Worklog SP PSII Build

Portables

I'm a lot further along with my first PS2P now nearly finished I dare say... But I've another problem I can't work out. I'm using the Pro evolution soccer controller which has the analog sticks on a separate board as well as solder pads ready printed on the button main board (Guess the company just reused the test board pattern to cut costs, hurray for cheapskates!) making it a dream to solder to. But I've got a few problems with a couple of things, the start button does a weird turn off turn on sequence when pressed then stops when pressed again. So pausing game is affected. The analog sticks are always on even on games you can turn them off, pressing the button does not do anything. And I suspect it's related the analog LED isn't getting any power despite being grounded the same as the other buttons (I've tested it it still works). Have any of you guys got these problems before or is it something I've done while wiring? Just this last hurdle, then I'm ready to go... Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Portables
Through a lot of trial and error I've found I had the start button connected via a stray piece of solder wedged between resistors R25 and R2! So it's stopped doing the weird pause flicker. But the analog stick problem is still present. They work fine but wont turn off, and the LED wont turn on... Here's a photo of the bridge connectors on the back of the board.

Last edited:

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Could you show the front of the board too please?

Portables
Is the first image showing? Anyway this is a picture of it at the moment.

All the D-pad and shape buttons share a ground (the blue wires) the start and select which function fine, along with the non functional analog switch now ground separately (the black wires going to the analog switch). The LED seems to ground through the same line as the D-pad but doesnt seem to be getting any power... I've tried wiring it straight to the power from the analog sticks and grounding it through the d-pad directly but it still doesn't light yet testing it separately it still works...

Last edited:

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Your soldering looks very messy. I recommend that you remove any extra solder, and get rid of flux with some rubbing alcohol. Then use your multimeter to check points that are next to each other for shorts. Most likely you have pins touching that shouldn't be.

Portables
Your right! It looks a mess this close up... I'll try cleaning the connections up and re-soldering them.

Do you live within reasonable distance of a Home Depot?
Um... No. I live in a small town in the English countryside. But I can drive for an hour to get electrical stuff from the big DIY place in Middlesbrough.

Portables
Your right! It looks a mess this close up... I'll try cleaning the connections up and re-soldering them.

Um... No. I live in a small town in the English countryside. But I can drive for an hour to get electrical stuff from the big DIY place in Middlesbrough.

Thanks for the advice, everything seems to work now... I haven't tried the second player port yet but this has helped a lot. I really need to try to be neater with my soldering.

I see, well that's unfortunate, but in any case the next time you're in town, look for some electrical solder flux. When I first realized it was needed for soldering it was like night and day

Portables
I see, well that's unfortunate, but in any case the next time you're in town, look for some electrical solder flux. When I first realized it was needed for soldering it was like night and day
This. It'll save your pads too (can see a couple risen pads in your photo.)

You can buy it on Amazon for a few quid and it'll change your soldering forever.

Portables
Well the wood is just recycled from a thin board CD rack with a vinyl pattern on it. The 'brass' on the heat vents and speakers is off a fireguard just cut to shape it's very thin, everything else is plastic painted with crackle glaze paint. the sides are aluminium. It's not the lightest handheld ever made (I've added a neck strap), but it looks good for the steampunk conventions I attend! I'll take some better quality photos of it and I promised friends I'd do a video to show them how it plays.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Looks kind of like a vintage TV. I think it turned out very well!

Portables
Glad to see another wood finish. Hoping to start my work log soon. Waiting on some new parts but mine will be a bamboo finish.

Got any innards shots?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
You could just edit the original post and put the images in a spoiler box.

Portables
erm should I post a worklog thread? I've been documenting it on facebook for a while Loads of pictures...
I'm not saying you should have, i personally find it interesting. Got a link to you posts to save the effort?

~edit~
I'm a newbie to this scene and more specifically this forum, feel free to ignore me. I'm here for the learnings.