Worklog PS1 Native VGA mod (15khz)

Daroou

Would it be possible to modify a PS2 component cable and wire it up to a VGA male connector? Basically make a PS1 RGB to VGAHV cable?

Another question I have: is it really necessary to use coaxial cables for the R,G, and B signals? In the end, all grounds connect to the same pin on the DB15 connector. Does the ground shroud in these cables protect against interference?

[MOD EDIT] - Merged double post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wesk

I'm the scanman
Staff member
Would it be possible to modify a PS2 component cable and wire it up to a VGA male connector? Basically make a PS1 RGB to VGAHV cable?
No, you'd need to modify the PS1 internally to be able to use the PS2/PS3 component cables. You'd need to add an internal RGB to Component transcoder. If you were going to go that far you may as well buy the HD retrovision cables.

Another question I have: is it really necessary to use coaxial cables for the R,G, and B signals? In the end, all grounds connect to the same pin on the DB15 connector. Does the ground shroud in these cables protect against interference?
The wire itself needs to be shielded in some way to keep analogue noise out of the signal.