Worklog PiiStationU Portable

I made a test ! Anything up to 12v make the stock regulador not start, just stay on standby red led, i can hear a start noise but won't stat.
I was wondering if a 3S li-ion pack will be compatible on full charge.

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
That link you provided doesn't want to work for me. I'd be inclined to think that a 3S pack would be too high a voltage for the PS2, you could down regulate it or run parallel sets of 2S if you wanted more juice :)

Were you able to test at what point was "too much voltage", and I hope you didn't fry the unit!

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
That test hyperlink is just for the wiki that isn't up yet, downtown actually have anything to do with what uesporto was talking about.

That link you provided doesn't want to work for me. I'd be inclined to think that a 3S pack would be too high a voltage for the PS2, you could down regulate it or run parallel sets of 2S if you wanted more juice :)

Were you able to test at what point was "too much voltage", and I hope you didn't fry the unit!
Not fried, just don't start and stay on standby at this voltage cause the sotck regulator use a protection.

I don't wanna use a step-down regulator to save space and power.

a bettery possibly will low the voltage when a charge is applied, I'm counting on this when I test with 3s pack
if not i'll think on 2s + step-up regulator

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Have a look at G-mans guide to trimming the board - it's about the gold standard for power handing and space reduction and is a fantastic starting point for making custom setups or preserving your battery :)

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Right! I just had my "plug and play" board show up (this one: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/J~kAAOSwCGVYBRVB/s-l1600.jpg) and was really hoping that I'd be able to use the PS2 PSU (8.5V) to "charge" the batteries and generally just run the final unit. Now that said I've hooked everything up and the board only charges up to about 6.5V across two 18650s in series until it puts on the green light and concludes they're "charged". I am actually using a 2s2p setup myself, but the issue happens irrespective of the number of batteries present.

My question is:
Do I need to be providing 9-12V (as specified) to actually get this board to charge the batteries fully? It took two months for these bloody boards to show up so I'm kinda passionate about getting this thing finished lol

EDIT:
No, 12V still only has the circuit charge to about 3.3V per battery when I know it can easily go up to around 4V. What can I do to take them up to that? There HAS to be an easy way to do this, or is it part of the "modders inner circle" or something? lol

EDIT2:
So I always purchase in triplicate, and giving up on this one board I had I opted to try the second...which "magically" works despite being wired the same, looking the same, and coming from the same place. Makes a quiet high-pitched electrical noise however - I'm going to assume that that's normal. Plus it appears to be working on the PS2 PSU. Will give it a day and see.

Last edited:
Why not use a 2s2p setup and not worry about over voltage but get the same capacity.
thinkin about this and maybe add a step-up regulator. My board is a 75/77 series, i don't wanna cut and use custom reguladors because is expensive for me that a live on Brazil.

Current drawn: 1.5A more or less in 8.4v

I wanna make a portable with this board without that numerous realocations and solder points for cheap and simplest project (basically will be the same size of the board with extra lateral space for batteries).

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Ok, seeing as nobody else has answered (and I've also got ANOTHER question lol) - I'll do my best :)

From the measurements I did on the 7900X boards I cut up in my project a stock standard PS2 will cease to function at about 7.6V (assuming you're not using the DVD drive) and I understand the voltage is higher if you have a DVD drive and aren't booting from USB. The most common way to get around this is to do the "Hailraiser mod" which bypasses the 5V SMD regulator on the PS2 - it's a terrible little component and we can do much better nowdays. Doing that means the PS2 will run as low as 6V before cutting out. It's a simple little mod to do, and odds down your screen will also be 5V so you can use that there too :) There use to be a board trimming guide for the 7900X series which was a good easy mod which has actually formed the basis for all of the PS2 portables I've made.

From memory I think the power systems on the board are similar for the other slim boards, but I would really recommend trying to find a 7900X as there's substantially more documentation and knowledge with this particular revision.

Ok: Community question time! Has anyone worked with this 18650 2S charging board?
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/J~kAAOSwCGVYBRVB/s-l1600.jpg

I've managed to get it going but it takes forever to charge at 8.5V, and pumping more voltage in seems to be getting more voltage out (contrary to what's written on every listing for this item: output 5V-8.4V). What's the usual work-around for this one? Another regulator?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Ok, seeing as nobody else has answered (and I've also got ANOTHER question lol) - I'll do my best :)

From the measurements I did on the 7900X boards I cut up in my project a stock standard PS2 will cease to function at about 7.6V (assuming you're not using the DVD drive) and I understand the voltage is higher if you have a DVD drive and aren't booting from USB. The most common way to get around this is to do the "Hailraiser mod" which bypasses the 5V SMD regulator on the PS2 - it's a terrible little component and we can do much better nowdays. Doing that means the PS2 will run as low as 6V before cutting out. It's a simple little mod to do, and odds down your screen will also be 5V so you can use that there too :) There use to be a board trimming guide for the 7900X series which was a good easy mod which has actually formed the basis for all of the PS2 portables I've made.

From memory I think the power systems on the board are similar for the other slim boards, but I would really recommend trying to find a 7900X as there's substantially more documentation and knowledge with this particular revision.

Ok: Community question time! Has anyone worked with this 18650 2S charging board?
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/J~kAAOSwCGVYBRVB/s-l1600.jpg

I've managed to get it going but it takes forever to charge at 8.5V, and pumping more voltage in seems to be getting more voltage out (contrary to what's written on every listing for this item: output 5V-8.4V). What's the usual work-around for this one? Another regulator?
That's the venerable "redboard" you've found, and yeah charging takes forever. It will only ever charge the cells at 1A, not matter how much power you give it. The output data is also a bit off, because when you connect a DC supply to its input, it passes all power not used by the charging circuit straight through the output pads. So if you connect 12v in, it'll output that 12v until you disconnect it, then the battery takes over output again.

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
That's the venerable "redboard" you've found, and yeah charging takes forever. It will only ever charge the cells at 1A, not matter how much power you give it. The output data is also a bit off, because when you connect a DC supply to its input, it passes all power not used by the charging circuit straight through the output pads. So if you connect 12v in, it'll output that 12v until you disconnect it, then the battery takes over output again.
Thanks so much! Whelp I'll go dismantle my latest experiment of "does it charge faster on 12V 7.5A worth of supply" and I think I'm content to call it a "solution" lol. I'm happy to leave it plugged in overnight :)

Out of interest is there a "mod" that can be done to the board or a better board for this task? I'm running 2s2p so could do with doubling the amperage. OR can I use two to "dual charge"? (I've always wanted to have that experience myself, whilst listening to "Throat Full of Glass" by Combichrist...)

Last edited:
Running the board in 5.6v with stock reg simulating low bettery in 2s2p config:

In-game, i played more than 30min and no issues:

Power drawn:

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Dude! You need to start your own work thread! That's seriously cool!
For the unit I'm working on at the moment I was able to get it running off of an external USB power supply, or run the screen off of the same PSU, but running both off of it was just too much for that as a power solution. At 5.5V on the standard USB that just might work for you!

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
So I've finally managed to get this thing finished in a way that I'm happy with.

Here's a little work video of the process:

And here's the unit with the new SD card slot, voltage display, and 3D printed battery pack: