Worklog My First Portable Wii

Hello everybody,

My name is Romain and i'm from France, I found a lot of information about the portable Wii on this forum and some Tuto. Then I decide to create one for myself, because I'm a big fan of Nintendo.
I make a lot of research and I finally decide to buy everything.

First of all I buy a Wii black with Gamecube port and decide to put RVLoader on it, i'ts working well. I put one game on it and it's works.
But I don't find how to go quit the game without shut down completely the Wii. For this I will see later.

So on my Wii I decide to disable the Wifi and enable the VGA.

Next step it's the power supply, so I decide to use the PTH08080wah. I order 4 on Aliexpress and use some capacitor ( 220µf 25V) and some resistor.
After soldering every thing together I used my laboratory power supply made with a ATH power supply (Computer power supply) and I've got the 5v, 3,3v , 1,15v and the 1v.
20210523_195927.jpg

20210523_195737.jpg

After this I decide to trim my Wii, so I relocated the U10. Mark my motherboard, protect it and trim it. And after all I sand it.

So I soldering my PTH08080 on my mother board.
20210523_195728.jpg

So I decide to connect my screen for a test on composite. First test nothing......
20210523_195743.jpg

20210523_195901.jpg

I check my tension and everything looking good. and then I take look on the back of my motherboard and the U10 relocation cable was loose so I soldering it again and try.
20210523_203014.jpg

It's working !!!! Ok the quality is not perfect but for the moment this is not my problem, my motherboard boot !!

The next step are :
- Reduce the size of the LCD screen driver
- Connect on VGA
- Connect the USB port and gamecube controller port and play.

- Design a case for my Wii I will use Solidworks and print it on a Ender 3.

I will keep to posting the progression of my project on the next days.

Hello Everybody,

So connected the USB port to the motherboard and also the GameCube controller port.
Everything working well after some mistake and bad soldering.

So I start my wii and the wii boot correctly. I can use my controller and I see the game inside.
But when I start the game with my Micro SD Samsung evo plus 64gb with usb adaptator (rocketek) I've got this message and my wii reboot. "no fat device found !"
20210524_185303.jpg

Then I use an another USB Key (a USB which my company give to me) 8Gb so I start the game and I've got a black screen.
It's look like ma CPU going too hot and then my wii shut down. But I'm not very sure...
When I go on Nintendont with this key I select USB and I see the game if I choose it I have this screen and it's block like this.
20210524_192559.jpg

So I put mi micro SD on Fat32 again copy everything again wait a bit for my CPU cool down.
And restart it's working !!!:D
20210524_200122.jpg

I can't start the game I don't know why..
I will try an other game later and also a wii game.

Last edited:

Benge

Portables
4 : O-Wii (V1,V2,V2.1)/ BS2
Use Kingston Adapter it work very well with Samsung µSD
Even if recently I had one that does not work with hidraa but by changing the adapter it worked.

Hello everybody,

So I coming back with some other advancements.
I have tried again and again to soldering the USB port on cm1 or cm2 but always they go away. So I decide to trim an other Wii and keep the USB port on it like this the soldering on the future will be easier.
20210527_235442.jpg

But as you see I cut by accident the CM1 trace. CM2 working well and now when I boot the Wii I never have some freeze.
And it's working perfectly without a Kingston adaptator.
20210528_144127.jpg

Next step was trim my LCD driver board.
Done ! Now powered with 3.3v. Thank @Benge For the photo on his post I use the same board.

Then I wanted to use VGA because the composite is fried (interference) when I am on RVLoader and it's working fine on game 50hz.
So I wired everything but nothing.... I pass almost 5 hours to find what I've done wrong I take a look on the post on Benge again about this but it look ok on my side.

See the photo
20210528_171325.jpg
20210528_171313.jpg

So I don't know what to do more about the VGA... when I remove the 3.3v on mode I'am able tho use composite but If I leave it I can't use the composite (normal) but nothing on my screen. I try to re install RVLoader, still the same.
If any body have an idea ?

Or if somebody know how to remove the interference on composite ?
20210528_162119.jpg

After all I also start to draw on solidwork each part of my wii and now I'm ready for designed the case.

Attachments

Good morning my comrades BB, I speak from Brazil, I'm starting a portable WII project and reading Moustique's post and the custom regulators thread, I came to a question: what is the need to use a custom regulator to power the wii's USB?

Good morning my comrades BB, I speak from Brazil, I'm starting a portable WII project and reading Moustique's post and the custom regulators thread, I came to a question: what is the need to use a custom regulator to power the wii's USB?
Hi !
You need to use 5v for the usb. That why you will need the custom regulator. The 5v can be use for audio amplification, screen, rumble for controller.
Good luck for your wii ! :D

Hi Everybody,

Recently I worked on my design. I draw most of the part and then start to assembly everything.
Wii portable.png
Wii.png
Wii back.png
Wii back inside.png

For the moment there is no button because I don't know what to use I will see later. The only big problem with this is the portable wii is too large for mt 3D printer....
259mm and I have a ender 3...
For the test I will make an assembly but for the final case I need to find a bigger printer.