Worklog Modernish PiiWii Pocket

Crazzyleprechaun's Pii Wii Pocket Worklog

I've been wanting to finish this portable for so long but unfortunately time and lack of skills wasn't on my side when I attempted to build this in 2017 (I think that's when I started). Either way I have revisited this project many time in the past and have failed as I wasn't satisfied with how it would turn out but now no matter what I want to finish it especially since revisions of the 4Layer products are pretty much perfect and I believe I have the skills to make it.

Planned feature list
  • 3.5 inch IPS Display using Direct Drive
  • PMS Rev 2
  • UAMP
  • 4 x 18650
  • 3D printed button mounts
I am still using the original housing for it as I purchased one of Shank's leftover cases a long time ago I haven't modified it at all except some sanding for the size of the bumpers I just plan on finishing it with modern techniques.
IMG_6310.jpg

First attempt at wiring up the direct drive board. I have been saving it for a special project that'd I'd pretty much keep forever

IMG_0394.JPG

This was such a struggle YvetalGriffen gave me this a while ago. It's 3.5 inch screen converter to direct drive. Basically 54 pin -> 40 pin FFC. Once I finally got this workingI knew it was possible to build the Piiwii pocket the way I wanted to so I started working on the back half.

IMG_0435.JPG
IMG_0434.JPG

Here's my build process of the back half so far not sure if it will be safe to have the PMS like this but I've added mounts to each of the screw posts and I'll shield it from the heatsink with Kapton tape once everything is wired.

IMG_0436.JPG
IMG_0441.JPG

This is all I have for now and I'll probably make more updates pretty soon as I really want to finish this build.

Attachments

Last edited:
More progress I started securing things in the back half of the case which is just a giant mess of wires. I added a charge jack, headphone jack (below the charge jack) and the USB ports trying to keep everything organized.

IMG_0452.JPG

Then I moved on to add the Wii into the back half of the case and made sure it booted

IMG_0453.JPG
IMG_0454.JPG
IMG_0456.JPG

Lastly I wired up the direct drive and thankfully it works! I started working on the GC+ just to eliminate the amount of lose wires and I also set up the led

IMG_0461.JPG

Working on this thing steadily and more progress will come soon!

Really nice to see this design again! How did you change the resolution of the DD? Isn't it set to 800x480 and would need some changes via firmware of the FPGA to set 640x480?

Really nice to see this design again! How did you change the resolution of the DD? Isn't it set to 800x480 and would need some changes via firmware of the FPGA to set 640x480?
To be honest I definitely was overlooking this. I didn't change the resolution at all and I was hoping there would be changes via RVLoader. As you can see on the left there is a black bar offsetting the screen in the images with the DD.

Thanks to the help of YveltalGriffin and Aurelio for allowing the direct drive to work with 640x480 screens I was able to fix the aspect ratio.

IMG_0476.png

I was able to clean up the wire mess a little but its still not where I want it to be right now. It'll probably take me a while but here's how it looks so far and also another shot of the front of the case.

IMG_0475.JPG
IMG_0474.JPG

Currently I'm having issues shutting this thing but I was able to wire up the audio amp and bluetooth. All I have left is the speakers and IR Leds. I've purchase a few tiny speakers to test since there isn't much room for the speakers used in the gboy or ashida builds. Still more work to do with this build but I'd say its nearing completion at this point. Just going to wait for the speakers and try to get it closed.

Last edited:

Shank

Staff member
Portables
So much pain getting that thing to close with everything in it. Make sure you don't overtightened the screws and make them poke out the other side. Not speaking from experience or anything...

Hey all this is my last update before I make a cutting edge post and I just wanted to post the final internals for this. They're a little messy but I think its the best I'll get since everything is just smooshed together in this anyways.

IMG_0520.JPG
IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

I was able to get it to almost close but I think I'm gonna have to leave a gap between both of the halves since I don't want to put too much stress on the direct drive. Now I just have to test this thing for long periods and add some finishing touches and I'll finally be done!

IMG_0523.JPG

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables