Question Will my wii boot if i remove the disc drive

xiuvx

Portables
I'm building a portable wii and I was wondering if I fully remove the disc drive will my wii still boot if I download homebrew channel and rv loader ? (I'm not Trimming the motherboard btw)

xiuvx

Portables
Also I'm a little confused on how to wire up the gamecube controller to my wii on my gamecube controller there is a red wire a black wire a white wire and a yellow wire which points on the motherboard would I wire each of these to ?

xiuvx

Portables
Perfect thanks also can I just wire the controller to the pins underneath the gamecube ports?

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
Yup! Just check out the Definitive Trimming Guide, it has the pinout for that section of the board.

xiuvx

Portables
Yup! Just check out the Definitive Trimming Guide, it has the pinout for that section of the board.
Perfect thank you so much I now know literally everything to build my wii portable! :)

xiuvx

Portables
Oh also just one more question is there a way to remove rumble from the controller because I don't really want rumble?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Rumble doesn't work without 5v, so you can disable rumble by just not connecting the 5v wire. All the GC controller needs to work is the 3.3v supply wire, the 3.3v data wire, and one ground wire.

xiuvx

Portables
Rumble doesn't work without 5v, so you can disable rumble by just not connecting the 5v wire. All the GC controller needs to work is the 3.3v supply wire, the 3.3v data wire, and one ground wire.
If I want to remove the rumble pack to slim down the controller can I just like jam a flat head screwdriver in there to get it off or do I need to desolder it?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Slim down the controller? Could you describe what it is that you're trying to achieve with this project overall? What does the end goal look like?

xiuvx

Portables
Slim down the controller? Could you describe what it is that you're trying to achieve with this project overall? What does the end goal look like?
What I meant was removing the big bulky rumble pack from the back of the controller

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Why tho? What benefit does that provide?

It's perfectly doable tho. You just have to unscrew the tri-wing screws holding the shell together, remove the bottom half of the controller shell, and desolder/snip the two wires that feed the rumble motor. With the wires detatched from the PCB, the motor itself will lift right out. The controller will weigh less, but the shell will still be the same size.

xiuvx

Portables
Why tho? What benefit does that provide?

It's perfectly doable tho. You just have to unscrew the tri-wing screws holding the shell together, remove the bottom half of the controller shell, and desolder/snip the two wires that feed the rumble motor. With the wires detatched from the PCB, the motor itself will lift right out. The controller will weigh less, but the shell will still be the same size.
Great thanks the benefit is that it's for my portable so I'm trying to get it as small as possible

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
You should look into using a GC+ instead of an OEM controller. They're cheap, allow you to put buttons wherever you want in your portable, and allow you to use just about whatever sticks you want (gamecube-style, joy con-style, 3DS sliders, etc.). They're pretty cheap too.

xiuvx

Portables
You should look into using a GC+ instead of an OEM controller. They're cheap, allow you to put buttons wherever you want in your portable, and allow you to use just about whatever sticks you want (gamecube-style, joy con-style, 3DS sliders, etc.). They're pretty cheap too.
Good idea but I can't be bothered to wire up that much stuff because I'm a little too lazy :XD:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I think you might be engaged in the wrong type of project then