Worklog Swiitch 2.5rev2

Discussion in 'Wii' started by BocuD, May 26, 2019.

  1. BocuD .

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2016
    Messages:
    443
    Likes Received:
    478
    Location:
    The Netherlands
    Portables:
    2
    After spending way too much time on this to tweak it, i finally got the shoulder buttons just right.
    The soft tact is on a separate piece thats glued in, and the hard (red) tact is glued in as well. The actual button is inserted from outside, with a hook snap mechanism thing. You can see how it fits in the cross section here: upload_2019-9-4_23-15-5.png
    And here how its assembled:

    Normally these shoulder buttons wouldn't be that hard to do but i had a lot of issues given the amount of space i have. The distance from the outside of the shell to the battery is just 7mm, which isn't a lot.. upload_2019-9-4_23-21-42.png
    But thats alright if it makes it possible to use these batteries, so eh. The shoulder button feels just right as is, and it actually works which is somewhat surprising, as these soft tacts aren't designed to be pressed like this. Its always a little bit pressed in its "off" state with this design, as i didn't have the space to get the full amount of travel you'd get from the normal switches. Getting it to work like that was probably the hardest thing to tweak.
    Next up will be the custom heatsink.. That thing is going to be very interesting to make, as i don't have the budget rn to CNC route one, which was the original plan. I'm probably going to cut up a GC heatsink now instead as it has about the same profile. That'll be next week or so. The board revision is going alright, but i haven't ordered it yet as this time i want to be 10 billion percent sure that everything will work this time :D
     
    Lanchlan, Ekterm, Ricky_Tang and 5 others like this.
  2. BocuD .

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2016
    Messages:
    443
    Likes Received:
    478
    Location:
    The Netherlands
    Portables:
    2
    So uuh time for an update i guess, its been a while. First: I trimmed a gc heatsink. Since i've had issues with cooling in the past, and since i had space for it anyways, i decided to make it quite large, as you can probably see. The fan is the standard 35x35x7mm fan everyone always uses.
    IMG_0219 2.jpeg
    I still have some sanding / filing left on top to get it perfectly smooth, but its quite neat already. A nice thing about having a heatsink this large is that i have the ability to run the fan quite slowly without really affecting temps much. In an open air test it didn't even get that warm with the fan turned off. Since the fan is controlled by a PIC and an NTC the speeds and stuff can be adjusted later.
    I also did a few multicoloured test prints for the back case to see how a 3d printed logo would look. Turns out, quite nice (obviously not sanded yet)
    IMG_0327-2.JPG
    Then: the main reason for the update, i finally finished the pcb revision. I replaced the backlight boost converter to a less chinesium one, changed a few things in the lcd driver part, added pull up resistors for GC+ 1.0 compatibility (since they are pin compatible), changed the programming headers, moved the joycon ffc connectors, did some smaller tweaks to clean everything up (for example flipping the dot for the SPI flash) and probably some other stuff i forgot. It doesn't really look that different though so no pics of that i guess. Expect more memes soon™.
     

Share This Page

Loading...