Worklog Swiitch 2.5rev2

Discussion in 'Wii' started by BocuD, May 26, 2019.

1. BocuD .

Portables:
    After spending way too much time on this to tweak it, i finally got the shoulder buttons just right.
    The soft tact is on a separate piece thats glued in, and the hard (red) tact is glued in as well. The actual button is inserted from outside, with a hook snap mechanism thing. You can see how it fits in the cross section here: upload_2019-9-4_23-15-5.png
    And here how its assembled:

Normally these shoulder buttons wouldn't be that hard to do but i had a lot of issues given the amount of space i have. The distance from the outside of the shell to the battery is just 7mm, which isn't a lot.. upload_2019-9-4_23-21-42.png
    But thats alright if it makes it possible to use these batteries, so eh. The shoulder button feels just right as is, and it actually works which is somewhat surprising, as these soft tacts aren't designed to be pressed like this. Its always a little bit pressed in its "off" state with this design, as i didn't have the space to get the full amount of travel you'd get from the normal switches. Getting it to work like that was probably the hardest thing to tweak.
    Next up will be the custom heatsink.. That thing is going to be very interesting to make, as i don't have the budget rn to CNC route one, which was the original plan. I'm probably going to cut up a GC heatsink now instead as it has about the same profile. That'll be next week or so. The board revision is going alright, but i haven't ordered it yet as this time i want to be 10 billion percent sure that everything will work this time :D

Caleb J, Lanchlan, Ekterm and 6 others like this.
  2. BocuD .

Portables:
    So uuh time for an update i guess, its been a while. First: I trimmed a gc heatsink. Since i've had issues with cooling in the past, and since i had space for it anyways, i decided to make it quite large, as you can probably see. The fan is the standard 35x35x7mm fan everyone always uses.
    IMG_0219 2.jpeg
    I still have some sanding / filing left on top to get it perfectly smooth, but its quite neat already. A nice thing about having a heatsink this large is that i have the ability to run the fan quite slowly without really affecting temps much. In an open air test it didn't even get that warm with the fan turned off. Since the fan is controlled by a PIC and an NTC the speeds and stuff can be adjusted later.
    I also did a few multicoloured test prints for the back case to see how a 3d printed logo would look. Turns out, quite nice (obviously not sanded yet)
    IMG_0327-2.JPG
    Then: the main reason for the update, i finally finished the pcb revision. I replaced the backlight boost converter to a less chinesium one, changed a few things in the lcd driver part, added pull up resistors for GC+ 1.0 compatibility (since they are pin compatible), changed the programming headers, moved the joycon ffc connectors, did some smaller tweaks to clean everything up (for example flipping the dot for the SPI flash) and probably some other stuff i forgot. It doesn't really look that different though so no pics of that i guess. Expect more memes soon™.

3. BocuD .

Portables:
    Henlo bois, this update is a bit late.. done a bunch of stuff since last time, so its gonna be a bit longer.
    Since the last time i've done a bunch of changes to the case (all internal, but eh)
    upload_2019-11-29_2-1-8.png
    The supports for the main pcb and screen for example are now much better. When i printed it this happened tho.. Don't make your walls too thin..
    [​IMG]

image0.jpg
    This was kinda stupid, but i gotta say the case is looking very nice with all components installed. These switch lite sticks really look great. This pic shows how thin it really is:
    image0-2.jpg
    Other then this theres some minor changes to the case but they're not that interesting.
    Next.. The main PCB. I finished the board revision and ordered it and all the required parts.
    [​IMG]
    Assembling it wasn't very hard cause i had a stencil. Took about 5 hours i think. At first it didn't entirely work, but after messing with some stuff and some help from Aurelio i got it to work:
    IMG_0731-2.JPG
    So thats neat. The thing is tho, vga wasn't working very well. With a wii it looks like this rn:

As you can see there is a red "haze" over the entire screen when displaying VGA. At first i thought this was a firmware issue since it affects the osd as well, but i realised this isn't the case..
    unknown-2.png
    The OSD is probably muxed together with the output of the scaler in the LCD driver. The problem is, the green/blue channels of at least the ADCs (probably more) aren't powered on this board, as i made some mistakes. B- and G- are NC here, while B+ and G+ are connected to GND. Yeah thats not gonna cut it lol. As summarised by Aurelio:
    upload_2019-11-29_13-32-55.png
    So (at this point it was 1am i think) i tried lifting the pins connecting G+ and B+ to GND, but that didn't really work. I might try removing the 2660 entirely later and pre bending the pins, but i don't think its necessary since i'm 99% sure this is the issue and will end up getting a new board revision fixing this and a few other things anyways.
    This was still the only real big issue, tho there were some others as well, including (but maybe not limited to, who knows) fucked up button wiring, fucked up tact placement, and a missing pullup on the power button.
    I'll be testing the audio amp later today, then depending on if that works i'll order the new pcb tomorrow or early next week. This board can still be used to write the firmware for all the mcus and test the custom firmware for the RTD, so thats nice at least :D. And even though it doesn't work perfectly yet, its still progress.
    pcb.png
    Edit: Pic of the new board added

Attached Files:

DeoNaught, Stitches, MRKane and 5 others like this.
  4. MRKane .

I'm crazy impressed with how far you've come with the RTD programming/development - I got it into my head about a year ago that it'd be cool to develop a little board for doing component input for the PS2/Wii etc. and assorted video resolutions as output, but for the life of me the lack of resources (and my overall lack of finances) rather beat me in that endeavour!

StonedEdge and BocuD like this.