Speakers

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables

GC64

Portables
So are these the speakers to use or what are some other options people have had success with?

Also what audio amp did you use to accompany the speakers?
I used a custom built amp that outputs 2W of power, which means one watt per speaker. The speakers are 700mW, so one watt is fine. If you're using something like a 3W amp, you should get speakers closer to 1.5W

JacksonS

Portables
So are these the speakers to use or what are some other options people have had success with?

Also what audio amp did you use to accompany the speakers?
He's using the LM49270 amp. Those rectangular speakers he linked are the ones I selected for the LM49270 after a lot of testing; try lots of different speakers depending on what amp you're using to find what works best. Thicker speakers generally offer more bass.

Some other speakers that have worked really well for me include Wii remote speakers and these 1W speakers I've used for a long time

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
He's using the LM49270 amp. Those rectangular speakers he linked are the ones I selected for the LM49270 after a lot of testing; try lots of different speakers depending on what amp you're using to find what works best. Thicker speakers generally offer more bass.

Some other speakers that have worked really well for me include Wii remote speakers and these 1W speakers I've used for a long time
I'm not sure I understand. Is it just the IC or is there a board you can buy with this amp? I didn't really see anything on eBay. It seems like it won't be too hard to find speakers but I'm having trouble finding an audio amp

JacksonS

Portables
I'm not sure I understand. Is it just the IC or is there a board you can buy with this amp?
LM49270 is just the IC (one of the best analog amps in my opinion). The only PCB I know of for it is one I designed.

Another good choice is the PAM8803, a 3W amp that is available on several different PCBs. You might need fairly large speakers for that one.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
LM49270 is just the IC (one of the best analog amps in my opinion). The only PCB I know of for it is one I designed.

Another good choice is the PAM8803, a 3W amp that is available on several different PCBs. You might need fairly large speakers for that one.
Hmm I've only seen those ones shipping from China. Maybe that's my best bet.. I'm assuming you aren't selling those PCBs that you designed.

JacksonS

Portables
I'm assuming you aren't selling those PCBs that you designed.
I'm not, but it isn't too hard to create your own, and I can help with that if you want. Also check out the WiiHUD thread. Aurelio has made a similar amp using the LM49450 and it works on digital input from the Wii instead of analog. Whenever it goes on sale, that will be a good option too.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
I'm not, but it isn't too hard to create your own, and I can help with that if you want. Also check out the WiiHUD thread. Aurelio has made a similar amp using the LM49450 and it works on digital input from the Wii instead of analog. Whenever it goes on sale, that will be a good option too.
PM'd