Question Question on the interchangeability of disc drives

Hello. I recently picked up a GameCube compatible black Wii to use with my new CRT. I wanted to play some DVDs on it as I have nothing else to use that has component hookups (using homebrew software, obviously). But, apparently, my Wii has a newer revision of the disc drive that doesn't support playing DVDs and burned games. So my two questions are:

1.) Can I buy a replacement disc drive of an earlier revision and just stick it in my Wii? Or will there be some sort of incompatibility?

2.) If I can do the above, what should I be looking for (chip number, etc.) to find a drive that can play DVDs?

Thanks.

(And yeah I know I could just go buy a DVD player that has component hookups, but that's lame and boring.)

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Any drive will work with any wii. No clue about the drive model though, you may be better off buying a 20-30$ DVD player from somewhere that has component out...

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Also, the Wii isn't very good at processing video like that, always ends up full of artefacts. A PS2 outperforms the Wii by a long mile.

Also, the Wii isn't very good at processing video like that, always ends up full of artefacts. A PS2 outperforms the Wii by a long mile.
Well that's a little disappointing to hear. Perhaps I'll just pick up a used PS2 somewhere and use that for DVDs then.

Either way, thanks to both of you for the info.