Worklog Ps2 portable (to be named)

Jonny

Hey everyone!
I've been lurking for a while now and I have decided I'm finally going to start a worklog!
I'm not sure what I'm going to call this one (you Wii people have good names I'm jealous) but here's what it's going to include:

6 18650s, adding up to a 10200 Mah 7.4 volt battery pack
A 5 inch screen (hopefully with interlaced VGA)
Minimally trimmed 79001 Mobo
Vacuum formed case (with a few Frankancased components (mainly controller parts)
And a diSC DRIVE

So far I've gutted my PS2 and controller and a few other minor things like remove Ethernet and optical ports.

Now back to the disc drive thing

I like the idea of having a disc drive, and from what I can tell and what I've done so far, it doesn't look like keeping it is going to be too much trouble. I've got a layout planned so I don't need to redo three orange flimsy ribbon cable, and the rest is just some mounting and fine pitch soldering. whatever I have to do I'm going to end up making it look damn good

So far I've gutted my PS2 and controller and a few other minor things like remove the Ethernet and optical ports. I have pictures I'll upload later (once I figure out how to get the URLs to my images (someone tell me how to do that) I'll post them)

Jonny

Finally figured out that my dumb ass missed the big upload file button right after I uploaded all my images to google drive.

ANYways, here's what I've done since my last update!

So far I've desoldered all ports besides the power port, gutted my controller, dremeled it out, (I'll add pics later) and wired up my screen. (thank you @Gman !) I've got pretty much everything else I need except some components for my regs and batteries and a charger. (anyone have one to recommend? I'm using the 18650 cells from the BOM.)

Now for the questions

Composite works on the screen but not VGA. The screen says no sync but I also tried to solder component to an old composite cable
(instead of RGB cables they were red white and yellow, but they were making the same connection as component) to test with an external monitor before my screen came in, and the TV kinda spazzed out and kept alternating between black screen and no signal. My guess now that I think about it it's that I dedoldered a resistor or something, but I'll have to check tomorrow. If it's not a missing resistor or other break in the trace, what could it be?

Can I power my PS2 off of the unregulated output of an 11.1 volt lithium ion battery pack? If not then how should I drop it down to 8.5 volt efficiently (I'm using on board regs otherwise)

For charge and play, I was thinking about having a 2 voltage pin power jack, (I like the 3 pin mic cable, I might use that) and having one pin power the system and the other charge the batteries when plugged in. Is there any faults in my logic? Or does that sound like it would work. (I was thinking of doing a power brick with the innards of a PS2 power supply and whatever battery charger I get, and putting them into an enclosure.)

Lastly, does anyone's know the pitch of the laser ribbon cable? I'm trying to order a longer replacement but can't find anything elsewhere

Thank you all so much!

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Composite works on the screen but not VGA. The screen says no sync but I also tried to solder component to an old composite cable
(instead of RGB cables they were red white and yellow, but they were making the same connection as component) to test with an external monitor before my screen came in, and the TV kinda spazzed out and kept alternating between black screen and no signal. My guess now that I think about it it's that I dedoldered a resistor or something, but I'll have to check tomorrow. If it's not a missing resistor or other break in the trace, what could it be?

Can I post my PS2 off of the unregulated output of an 11.1 volt lithium ion battery pack? If not then how should I drop it down to 8.5 volt efficiently (I'm using on board regs otherwise)
VGA does work on that screen, you are not doing something right. Check the pinout in the definitive ps2 trimming guide. I should note that the sync lines are finicky over long distances of wires over a few inches.

I don't believe anyone has tested the ps2 on an 11.1v pack. I'd suggest going with a 7.4v pack so you don't have to drop it down.

Jonny

I don't believe anyone has tested the ps2 on an 11.1v pack. I'd suggest going with a 7.4v pack so you don't have to drop it down.
Okay, but if I use a 7.4 volt battery pack, then I would have to do the 6 volt mods, and if I did that, then my battery life would be severely limited because on the mod tutorial page, it states the disc drive is inconsistent below 7 volts. Would I need to use a boost converter and run that into a regulator? Or is there another, easier way?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Okay, but if I use a 7.4 volt battery pack, then I would have to do the 6 volt mods, and if I did that, then my battery life would be severely limited because on the mod tutorial page, it states the disc drive is inconsistent below 7 volts. Would I need to use a boost converter and run that into a regulator? Or is there another, easier way?
You could use homebrew. Either usb loading or pi loading through ethernet. I've never done any testing on the disc drive, it is limiting for portables

Portables

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
You will need a hefty regulator to step down at good efficiency so I would not recommend 11.1v battery pack

Jonny

does anyone know if the third pad on the controller board is necessary? or should i just ignore it and solder to the 2 big pads
Also, i would like to have a switch to change the controller port between player 1 and 2, and the ps2 controller has 5 data lines. i cant find any 5pdt switches, so could i use a 4pdt and use a common clock signal? if not, is there another pin i can do that with instead?

Jonny

Okay
I have decided that i want to use a 2s3p battery pack, with a boost converter. so far, I've found this boost converter, from TI. this regulator is supposed to go between my battery output and my PS2 input. Let me know what you guys think.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Okay
I have decided that i want to use a 2s3p battery pack, with a boost converter. so far, I've found this boost converter, from TI. this regulator is supposed to go between my battery output and my PS2 input. Let me know what you guys think.
Is there supposed to be a link in there?