Worklog Obligatory Ashida First Build

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
That is a nice purple. I like that purple. Make sure you're careful with it during assembly!

I’m trying so hard to be careful. Unfortunately so far my had did a tremble and I accidentally slammed the soldering iron into the case leaving a small gash
image.jpg

Small update after soldering routing and checking wires for about 10 hours last night. I didn’t do a sanity check before starting to wire up audio and serial and when I did my sanity check after wiring those up. There was no video output. The voltages and U10 checked out and the cpu and guy would warm up so it makes me think that I messed something up when soldering to the AVE. So I’ll de solder the wires there and reassess.
IMG_3973.jpeg

IMG_3978.gif

He’s not dead! I was a little terrified that I murdered my boy because I was a little rough removing U4 but I took him out of the ashida popped him back into my test rig and blam!
IMG_3977.jpeg

he popped up like me when someone talks about sweet tea! I’m going to chalk up him not working earlier to me just doing a poor soldering job at 4 am. So back to the ashida case!

It’s alive!!!
IMG_3984.jpeg

I probably should have updated more on the troubleshooting process but it mainly came down to dumb mistakes and undoing more than I had to. Some notable problems were:
- two times debris caused shorts in some wires which caused a fail to boot.
- my I2C lines got shorted because I did a bad job soldering them onto the pms-2
- I spent a lot of time to try and figure out why VGA wasn’t working to remember that since this was the first Wii I homebrewed, I didn’t enable VGA.

some issues that still need to be solved:
- I still need to wire in the MX chip
- screen needs fixing.
- I stripped a screw when screwing the case in

ere are some noods ignore the solder mask, I was trying to see if I could do something and no I could not.
IMG_3981.jpegIMG_3983.jpeg

I want to thank everyone that’s helped and inspired me so far
- Wesk because he designed this beautiful goblin
- Shank for getting me into portablizing with the killmii
- Stitches for being a very nice and very helpful person
- CrazyGadget for being crazy helpful
- and Cy for the cute Zelda theme I stole from them

Portables
working on No.1
It’s alive!!!
View attachment 32156
I probably should have updated more on the troubleshooting process but it mainly came down to dumb mistakes and undoing more than I had to. Some notable problems were:
- my I2C lines got shorted because I did a bad job soldering them onto the pms-2
- I spent a lot of time to try and figure out why VGA wasn’t working to remember that since this was the first Wii I homebrewed, I didn’t enable VGA.

- screen needs fixing.

ere are some noods ignore the solder mask, I was trying to see if I could do something and no I could not.
View attachment 32157View attachment 32159

WOW
AMAZING JOB! LOOKS FANTASTIC AND HOPE MINE GOES THAT WELL!

Portables
It’s alive!!!
View attachment 32156

- screen needs fixing.

View attachment 32157View attachment 32159

Congratulations!!! Your Ashida looks pretty amazing, especially in that indigo color

I think Shank's KillMii was what directed most of us to this site :D

Congratulations!!! Your Ashida looks pretty amazing, especially in that indigo color

I think Shank's KillMii was what directed most of us to this site :D
Thank you! It’s not the exact color but it’s close and it’s an easy Pantone color if there ever needs to be some touch ups. (Like gouging the front)

Secondly I had some questions that I have been having a little difficulty finding answers on.
- For the off center screen I’m presuming we just correct that with the OSD? (Only issue is I may have torn up the OSD connector and am not really looking forward to soldering to traces)
- and any suggestions on how to get out stripped screws? (Because I can’t currently access the internals since I decided that JST and Phillips were just about the same thing)

Last edited:
SCREEN IS FIXED!!!
IMG_3991.jpeg

Even though I have a stripped screw I was able to open it just enough to solder on some buttons and re-run the auto config so now I just have to get the stripped screw out and then wire in the MX chip

I’m also on the fence about Bluetooth. I don’t really think I’m going to use it but man I love completion. I was thinking about maybe wiring up reset to button 2 but that would require cutting the 3v3 line connected to it and idk if I want to destroy Wesks design like that.

Last edited:
Portables
Thank you! It’s not the exact color but it’s close and it’s an easy Pantone color if there ever needs to be some touch ups. (Like gouging the front)

Secondly I had some questions that I have been having a little difficulty finding answers on.
- For the off center screen I’m presuming we just correct that with the OSD? (Only issue is I may have torn up the OSD connector and am not really looking forward to soldering to traces)
- and any suggestions on how to get out stripped screws? (Because I can’t currently access the internals since I decided that JST and Phillips were just about the same thing)
I saw that there’s a kit to remove the screws, but I don’t know if it works on tiny screws

I saw that there’s a kit to remove the screws, but I don’t know if it works on tiny screws
Yeah… I just ended up using needle nose pliers and force
IMG_3998.jpegIMG_3997.jpeg

but he is completely finished!!!
If I thought my routing sucked for video, audio and power then boy I was in for a treat with the Bluetooth and MX chip. The main thing is, it works. Working Bluetooth, working MX, working ashida.
IMG_4004.jpegIMG_4003.jpegIMG_4002.jpegIMG_4001.jpegIMG_3999.jpeg

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Them scratches are a little oof, but it's on the bottom half so not the most visible