Worklog My first Wii micro

So I've been thinking about making a Wii portable for a really long time, and finally got around to trying it. I decided I didn't really want to spend a lot of money on this so I decided to make a Wii micro. This is what I want it to do,

1. I want it to have Bluetooth
2. Use a 6 layer board (easier for the Bluetooth and other things
3. Fit in my hand
4. Run off of Usb C
5. Have a good cooling system
6. Have 2 USB ports

Is any of this unrealistic?
I've already install portablizemii and relocated the U10
If there is any other thing I should add to this then please let me know!

Timo43

So I've been thinking about making a Wii portable for a really long time, and finally got around to trying it. I decided I didn't really want to spend a lot of money on this so I decided to make a Wii micro. This is what I want it to do,

1. I want it to have Bluetooth
2. Use a 6 layer board (easier for the Bluetooth and other things
3. Fit in my hand
4. Run off of Usb C
5. Have a good cooling system
6. Have 2 USB ports

Is any of this unrealistic?
I've already install portablizemii and relocated the U10
If there is any other thing I should add to this then please let me know!
Is there a reason you want 2 USB ports? Otherwise I think one will be just fine with functionality.

I would've gone with a 4 layer board, but hey, it's your portable, so if battery life isn't number one then it's all realistic. I also agree with Timo43.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Is there a reason you want 2 USB ports? Otherwise I think one will be just fine with functionality.
Two USB ports allows you to use an extra peripheral like a GameCube controller adapter alongside your main USB.

I would also reccomend moving to a 4 layer board. 6 layer boards are much harder to cool and get noticeably inferior battery life. Nobody has ever made a Wii portable with a trimmed 6 layer board, 4 layers are where it's at.

Noah

retired
Portables
None of that is unrealistic, should be a fairly straightforward project to put together. USB-C will be possible using a breakout board designed for 5V in tandem with either PTH regs or a PowerMii Lite. Since you're using a 6-layer keep in mind that if you're going to 3D print the case they get MUCH hotter than a 4-layer. I would recommend printing the shell in PETG since it has a higher melting temp than PLA, that way your case doesn't warp/melt during use. Since it's not a portable the comments about battery life won't affect anything, just make sure it's cooled very well and you should be fine.

Since it's not a portable the comments about battery life won't affect anything
Sorry, saw Wii micro and assumed it was a portable but I now realize he wanted it to run "off" of USB C.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
I just have a couple of questions. USB C is the what the Nintendo Switch uses for charging, right? And what's a 6 layer board?
Yes the Nintendo Switch uses USB C for charging. Older Wii revisions have a 6 layer PCB. Newer Wii revisions have a 4 layer PCB. The 4 layer PCBs are much more efficient than the 6 layers and thus generate less heat and consume less energy. If you have further questions, please create your own thread instead of hijacking somebody else's worklog.

I just have a couple of questions. USB C is the what the Nintendo Switch uses for charging, right? And what's a 6 layer board?
I've actually read some stuff that says the Switch uses a slightly different version of USB C for docking (like one pin different for a nice "click") But generally yes.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Switch is standard usb c, they just run extra data over it when you put it on the dock so it can send display out as well.

With good vents and a good fan you will have no problems with this project.

An update, so I've moved to a 4 layer board and cant portablize me to install. I know it is the easiest thing to do, yet I've tried everything. besides that everything is good!

Last edited:
Could it be a bad 4-Layer revision? I think the Revision guide has answers to PM not installing. I'm also planning on building a Wii Micro myself.

Nvm. The Revision Identification Guide doesn't say whether or not a specific revision can have PM installed into it or not, and noticed the question about the USB drive.

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
An update, so I've moved to a 4 layer board and cant portablize me to install. I know it is the easiest thing to do, yet wive tried everything. besides that everything is good!
I'm assuming you're using Cheese installer which can be a fickle beast. You can still install postloader by booting into priiloader.

Sorry for being away, but I got the Bluetooth relocated and it works fine! I don't have the sync cable yet because I am waiting for my buttons to come. Also got porablizemii to work by buying a new usb drive
IMG_0410.JPG