Worklog My First Portable: The Nintendo 60C0r3

Joined
Jul 28, 2019
Messages
25
Likes
3
So, I am starting to make my first portable called the Nintendo 60C0r3. (name (not???) final)

My materials are:
N64 (duh)
Padarsey 5 Inch LCD Screen
Magnet Wire (What specific wire do I need for system/batteries/charging jack? And is speaker wire too overkill?)
480p(?) Graphics
Perfect Input control (Same as brand new original controller)
Nintendo Switch Speaker (DSi was more for some reason)
Same buttons as the original controller
New Joystick (for obvious reasons)
Built in rumble(?)
Color changing LED for battery Green-Red (increments color each %10)

What I don't have:
Literally everything except the LED screen.

Feel free to ask me any questions about it!

Also, this is the LED screen: IMG-0782.jpg IMG-0781.jpg IMG-0783.jpg
 

Noah

retired
.
.
Joined
Jan 16, 2016
Messages
1,970
Likes
2,562
Location
The World Wide Web
Portables
Nice, welcome to the forums! Unfortunately you won't be able to get 480P on that screen and you won't be able to actually get 480P out of your N64 without something like UltraVGA. Other than that I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with! We're always in need of more N64 projects around here :D
 
Joined
Jul 28, 2019
Messages
25
Likes
3
unnamed.jpg Change of plans! For A and B, I'm using the A and B buttons from the NES, for the C buttons I'm using A, B, X, Y from my 8 year old DS Lite, (Rest In Piece) and I'm using an NES D-Pad as the D-Pad.
 
Joined
Jul 28, 2019
Messages
25
Likes
3
Okay, I'm starting to download Fusion 360 so I can make a 3D model mock-up.

Edit: Yep, I can't do this.
 
Last edited:

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
.
Joined
Nov 10, 2016
Messages
606
Likes
1,618
Don't be so quick to give up on Fusion. I dove in and bought a 3D printer without having any prior experience in 3D modeling. I started just like you, downloading Fusion and getting my feet wet. Now here I am printing out a test of what I hope will be my final revision for my N64 case. (I'd share my design, but I'm using a 3.5" 4:3 screen.)

A couple words of advice for using Fusion: if you're not using a 3-button mouse, get one. I can't fumble my way through on my laptop's touchpad. Also, 99% of all my designs are just making positive and negative extrusions of various shapes. Learn how to do that and you can work on the other 1% (fillets, shell, combine, etc) later.
 

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
.
Joined
Jul 11, 2016
Messages
523
Likes
989
Location
USA
Portables
1
Instead of a huge file for people to download, a screenshot is preferred. Unless there is some real reason for us to need this file, it's probably better not to post it. :)
 

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
.
Joined
Nov 10, 2016
Messages
606
Likes
1,618
Already you got experience in sketching, extruding, and using the fillet tool. You're off to a good start!
 
Joined
Jul 28, 2019
Messages
25
Likes
3
Don't be so quick to give up on Fusion. I dove in and bought a 3D printer without having any prior experience in 3D modeling. I started just like you, downloading Fusion and getting my feet wet. Now here I am printing out a test of what I hope will be my final revision for my N64 case. (I'd share my design, but I'm using a 3.5" 4:3 screen.)

A couple words of advice for using Fusion: if you're not using a 3-button mouse, get one. I can't fumble my way through on my laptop's touchpad. Also, 99% of all my designs are just making positive and negative extrusions of various shapes. Learn how to do that and you can work on the other 1% (fillets, shell, combine, etc) later.
I'm using a 5 button mouse that I found in a box at my house by the way.
 
Joined
Jul 28, 2019
Messages
25
Likes
3
Okay, I need some suggestions on how I should make my controller. The console is basically a Nintendo Switch, but with N64 buttons. I need a mock-up (pen and paper will work) of how it should look.
Screenshot (8).png
 

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
.
Joined
Jul 11, 2016
Messages
523
Likes
989
Location
USA
Portables
1
The idea behind building a portable is that you design and build the portable. If you are wanting feedback on your design, come up with some different designs and let people vote on them. Asking people to come up with a design for you is unlikely to elicit a response. If you aren't sure on the design yourself, go look at the other portables built on this site and it should give you a good point to start from.

That being said, I would recommend to start with a simpler design that is easier and may not be as aesthetically pleasing for your first time. We all start from the bottom and learn along the way.

The key to building a portable is reading. Go read everything on the forums. Then do it again. At that point you will either decide that building a portable is a bit out of reach for the time being, or you will have a really good idea what you should do.
 
Joined
Jul 28, 2019
Messages
25
Likes
3
Do I need a multiple battery packs to power my screen and my N64?
 
Last edited:
Joined
Jul 28, 2019
Messages
25
Likes
3
8232DA31-1C8A-451F-98DB-26433219ADBC.jpeg
Motherboard extracted! Now I just need to know how to properly place it on something. Help? Also can I just plug it in and turn it on now?
 
Top