Worklog First portable: The Wavecube

Hey everyone, I've been interested in portablizing for a couple years, and just recently I have acquired most of the parts and tools I need to make my first portable. I have now been working on it for a couple of months, although I am moving slowly and carefully as this is my first big electronics project. I've been doing a lot of research and have gotten a lot of help from the guides and worklogs on the forums, so I am going to try to make this as a resource that others can use as well.

My plan for this portable is to preserve the feel of the original Gamecube controller by using a Wavebird as the base for the shell. For this portable I will be leaving out Bluetooth and Wifi and just focusing on Gamecube playability. Here are the specs that I will include in my build:

- OMGWTF trimmed Wii with MX Relocation
- 5" VGA Screen
- GC+ 2.0 in connection with original wavebird board/triggers, with T3 control sticks if possible to mod in
- x4 Samsung 21700s in 2s2p for maximum battery life and bulkiness
- Headphone output
- Low battery inidcation light

-----------------------------------------------------------

So far I've bought a 4 layer Wii, added portablizemii, relocated U10, trimmed to OMGWTF, and put together my power system and regulators and connected to the board. I don't see any problems yet, resistances between voltages and ground all match those of an untrimmed wii, and voltages are all within 0.05V of the target voltage. Pretty soon I will be adding USB, adjusting my screen for a 5V input, and connecting via composite to actually test the Wii. I will also probably download BBloader once that is all done.

I'm working on the internals before I get too much into the case, but I also need to learn how to 3D model so I can create the middle of my portable and connect the wavebird halves on either side by frankencasing. I will update this worklog if I come across any problems, and whenever I hit a new milestone in development. I'm super excited to finally get into development on this, and I hope my journey can be of use to other newbies down the road!

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Wait, did you not install BBLoader before trimming?

Wait, did you not install BBLoader before trimming?
I installed portablizemii in late 2019, before BBloader came out. Portablizemii worked completely fine before trimming so my plan is to just put my portable together like normal and then install BBLoader once I have a screen and usb and whatever else I need attached to the motherboard. I'm assuming that is possible to update a trimmed Wii unless I'm missing something?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Apologies, I didn't see that you already installed PM. Yeah you can install BBLoader over it no problem.

I added the screen, usb, fan, and a controller port with minimal issues. I had some problems where PM wasn't fully booting half the time, but after moving the USB ground to another point on the motherboard it has worked since. Now I have started designing the case, and I also plan on getting BBLoader installed soon so I can switch to VGA.

So far this has gone pretty smoothly, I expected to hit a lot more roadblocks this early on but I still have a ways to go so we will see what comes up.

Attachments