Guide Configuring your PS2 portable for SD loading (79k models)

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I never said i was owed anything so why dont you quit putting words in my mouth. I simply asked a question and vented some of my frustrations. I asked for a guide since im not a programmer and can find it hard to understand some of the jargon whiling digging through hundreds of posts. Also i just followed a link from the Ultra Slim thread since this is the GUIDE to wiring and setup for the sd card which is where im stuck since it seems the most ideal place to ask the questions, and when i said you have nacho promoting the mod i didnt mean you personally. If ya didn't wanna help you can just ignore my post.

Anyway thanks stitches. I have that checked off already. I rechecked my wiring and it matches the photo. My games seem to be formatted correctly since they play just fine when i use the usb port. So im thinking has to be the sd card or adapter. Is there some sort of size restriction on the sd cards? Im trying to use a 64gb samsung Evo Select, i have it as a exfat with 16kb clusters.
Can you provide photos of the wiring so we can double check? You could have a transient short somewhere that isn't immediately obvious

Merk

yeah np, here is what i have wired in. I dont have a a switch between the grounds since the shell i printed off was the one before the switch port was added.

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
yeah np, here is what i have wired in. I dont have a a switch between the grounds since the shell i printed off was the one before the switch port was added.
Well the first thing I see (aside from the length of the wires) is that you've shorted ACK to GND, and I don't see the 50-100ohm resistor. Is there a reason for that?

Merk

I followed nachos video and I'm pretty sure he mentions the resistor wasn't needed, but maybe thats if you are using the switch?. As for the bridge I thought that was in the guide as well

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I followed nachos video and I'm pretty sure he mentions the resistor wasn't needed, but maybe thats if you are using the switch?. As for the bridge I thought that was in the guide as well
I don't know anything about a switch (and I didn't watch Nacho's video), but I can't say I've ever seen anyone ground the SD detect pin like that. If you have a suitable resistor available I'd replace that short with it and see if anything changes

For the latest version with updates and improvements click here: Click me!

With the recent advancements in SD loading for the PS2 it's now viable for portables to use this feature for booting games. I've been testing on my stock 79k model and found game compatibility to be fairly solid with over 80% of games I've tested running without issue.

Main thread here: PSX-Place thread
Github page: Open PS2 Loader
Current compatibility list: PS2 SD Loading Compatibility

There are benefits and drawbacks to this new way to load games:

Pros:
-Much simpler to setup compared to SMB.
-Does not require additional, power consuming hardware in your portable.
-Faster loading than USB, majority of FMV's run smoothly. (Kingdom Hearts FMV was the only one I've seen stutter)

Cons:
-Lower game compatibility compared to USB and SMB. (Still in beta, will improve over time)
-79k models have even lower compatibility due to a driver fault. (Will be fixed in time)

-FAT32 file size limits
-Beta OPL requires a "Magic Gate" certified memory card to run correctly.
-The current Beta OPL, patched for 75000's+ does not play well with VMC's and requires saving to a real memory card. (as of May 2022)

Requirements:
SD card formatted in FAT32 or exFAT with 16k clusters. (Samsung cards recommended)
A Magic Gate certified memory card.
A resistor anywhere between 50ohm and 100ohm (doesn't seem to be that fussy, helps with SD card detection)
Note: The MX4SIO card has to be in Slot-2/the second MC-slot!

Software Steps:

1) Install FreeMCBoot onto your official "Magic Gate" memory card. (Download)
2) Download the OPL folder and copy to the root of your memory card **mc0:/** using uLaunchELF.
3) Download the beta OPNPS2LD.ELF and copy to the boot folder **mc0:/boot/** using uLaunchELF and overwrite any existing file.
4) The custom version of OPL for SD loading should now appear on your FreeMCBoot start screen.

SD card wiring:
View attachment 22410

As the software side of things continues to develop this guide will be subject to change. If you see any inaccuracies with this information let me know so I can update the information.

Hi Wesk I tried making my own PlayStation 2 Super Slim I got a 79003 model and the only difference is that there is no button for the lid detection where Macho Nacho had one. I trimmed down the USB port did all the thing that Macho Nacho did but I just can't turn it on. Any suggestions? Thanks

Attachments

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Hi Wesk I tried making my own PlayStation 2 Super Slim I got a 79003 model and the only difference is that there is no button for the lid detection where Macho Nacho had one. I trimmed down the USB port did all the thing that Macho Nacho did but I just can't turn it on. Any suggestions? Thanks
Wrong thread, look in the PS2 ultra Slim thread for details on what you need to do.

Hi Merk how did you start your motherboard because mine doesn't work I followed all the instructions from Nacho's video but still nothing any suggestions please?

Hi all, I'm attempting this mod myself on a 79003
I haven't cut the 2nd usb port off yet, so haven't wired in the +5v regulator to the 2nd memory card pins. I'd like to get it all working before cutting anything off permanently...
I've installed free McBoot and OPL. I am using a Samsung 64GB EVO sd card and have wired in the cut down SD adaptor (as per macho nacho)
I can't seem to be able to access any files on the sd card (in mc1:) I just put some random text files on there to check if the sd card is ok.
There doesn't look like there is anywhere on OPL to use the 2nd memory card slot (which my SD card is wired into) anywhere?
When I switch the sd card off with the switch and insert a memory card in port 2, it reads just fine.

What am I doing wrong?
Do you need to use the OPL manager to add ISO files to the SD Card first? <I have added a .zso file to the sd card, still no change>
How do you get OPL to use the 2nd Memory card port with SD? <I am using the latest OPL>

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm attempting this mod myself on a 79003
I haven't cut the 2nd usb port off yet, so haven't wired in the +5v regulator to the 2nd memory card pins. I'd like to get it all working before cutting anything off permanently...
I've installed free McBoot and OPL. I am using a Samsung 64GB EVO sd card and have wired in the cut down SD adaptor (as per macho nacho)
I can't seem to be able to access any files on the sd card (in mc1:) I just put some random text files on there to check if the sd card is ok.
There doesn't look like there is anywhere on OPL to use the 2nd memory card slot (which my SD card is wired into) anywhere?
When I switch the sd card off with the switch and insert a memory card in port 2, it reads just fine.

What am I doing wrong?
Do you need to use the OPL manager to add ISO files to the SD Card first? <I have added a .zso file to the sd card, still no change>
How do you get OPL to use the 2nd Memory card port with SD? <I am using the latest OPL>
Just to follow up (in case anyone has read this) -
I watched some OPL vids and worked out that the SD drive needs to be tuirned on in the settings (duh)
You also need to run the games thruu OPL mnager to sort them out (if needed) and insert arts into the files (not required, but nice)
I also scanned thru the compatibnlity list and removed a few isos that didn't work. Hopefully they'll be fixed in future builds.

I am now enjoying loading ps2 via MX4SIO sd card.