Question 1st portable Wii complete!!

Ok, so I just finished my first Wii portable, but not after (possibly) ruining another Wii in the process. Hopefully I can go back to the first board and patch it up.

A couple things that I'd like some help with:
1) The heatspreaders linked in the Ashida BOM don't sit nicely against the wii mobo, causing the system to get hot and turn itself off. How would I go about fixing this? Just buy slightly taller heatspreaders?

2) Not sure how to connect the 2nd 'Z' button to anything, how would I do that?

3) The 2 buttons down at the bottom of the Ashida I'm assuming are for screen controls, how would I go about connecting those 2 buttons to my display?

4) I'm on the fence about whether I switched R and G for VGA, does anyone have an opinion based on my last picture whether I did or not?

Lastly, attached are some of the pictures I took along the way of the build! Hopefully someone can help me with my plethora of questions, and I hope that this motivates someone to start for the first time or finish an old one they gave up on.

Thanks in advance for any help that's provided, and shoutouts to @Wesk for an absolute baller design for a portable.
20230217_150938.jpg
20230217_160404.jpg
fa49c36d-4f73-4b49-93ba-02151a07ec28.jpg

20230228_135703.jpg
20230304_135405.jpg
0d801399-c8ec-4f01-98be-4bb8ea50ab0d.jpg

20230310_195717.jpg
20230312_153931.jpg
20230312_173105.jpg
20230312_173131.jpg

[MOD EDIT] Scaled the gigantic-ass images

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Ok, so I just finished my first Wii portable, but not after (possibly) ruining another Wii in the process. Hopefully I can go back to the first board and patch it up.

1) The heatspreaders linked in the Ashida BOM don't sit nicely against the wii mobo, causing the system to get hot and turn itself off. How would I go about fixing this? Just buy slightly taller heatspreaders?

3) The 2 buttons down at the bottom of the Ashida I'm assuming are for screen controls, how would I go about connecting those 2 buttons to my display?

4) I'm on the fence about whether I switched R and G for VGA, does anyone have an opinion based on my last picture whether I did or not?
1) The heatsinks should have thermal adhesive on them, they adhere to the GPU and CPU on the Wii. If you've taken them off you may need thermal pads to cover the small distance.

2) 2nd Z button is for future RVLoader functions.

3) The buttons at the bottom are start and bluetooth sync (if you relocated bluetooth)

4) Red looks to be missing completely.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables

Lastly, attached are some of the pictures I took along the way of the build! Hopefully someone can help me with my plethora of questions, and I hope that this motivates someone to start for the first time or finish an old one they gave up on.

Thanks in advance for any help that's provided, and shoutouts to @Wesk for an absolute baller design for a portable.
Knowledge ahoy
  1. You need some form of thermal interface material to make up the gap. The thermal pads the Wii came with will fit, but if you disposed of them, any 1.5-2mm thick thermal pads will do.
  2. It's already connected internally to the GC+. It'll be assignable to stuff later. If you want to use it for something else, you'll have to cut the signal trace going to the switch and wire the now isolated button leg to something else. It's commonly re-wired to be a second Start button.
  3. One of those buttons is Start (S), and the other is Wiimote Sync (S2). If you aren't relocating the bluetooth module, you can repurpose S2 by cutting its 3.3v feed trace and connecting that now isolated pin to ground.
  4. Wesk beat me to it.

1) The heatsinks should have thermal tape on them, they adhere to the GPU and CPU on the Wii. If you've taken them off you may need thermal pads to cover the small distance.

2) 2nd Z button is for future RVLoader functions.

3) The buttons at the bottom are start and bluetooth sync (if you relocated bluetooth)

4) Red looks to be missing completely.
Sick, well that brings up more questions lmfao,

1) Neither of my buttons at the bottom do anything so maybe I have something disconnected, but I'm sure that my connections are good. Maybe have to go back and double check at another time I guess.

2) If Red is completely missing, how would I go about removing the hot glue I put on the mobo to fix that issue provided it's not a mistake I made on the driver board itself.

3) I can't seem to find any kind of settings in RVLoader for charge current, temperature etc. Is that possibly an issue with my SCW/SDW connections?

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Sick, well that brings up more questions lmfao,

1) Neither of my buttons at the bottom do anything so maybe I have something disconnected, but I'm sure that my connections are good. Maybe have to go back and double check at another time I guess.

2) If Red is completely missing, how would I go about removing the hot glue I put on the mobo to fix that issue provided it's not a mistake I made on the driver board itself.

3) I can't seem to find any kind of settings in RVLoader for charge current, temperature etc. Is that possibly an issue with my SCW/SDW connections?
You've not wired from the controller board back to the interface board for those buttons.

IPA can be used to remove hot glue. Give it a spray and wait a few seconds.

You won't be able to adjust RVLoader charge settings if the SCW/SDW connections are borked.