Worklog Zelda Themed Gwii

Hi, I am soon going to be starting a zelda themed gwii with mx, bluetooth, and ir. I would like the design to be similar to gingers waker of the wiind. This is my first portable and will most likely be my last. I am willing to learn and answer any questions, if I make any mistakes feel free to comment. But first I would like to ask a few questions.
1. Is sla a good shell for a portable. I would like a smooth finish.
2. If using sla do you need to sand
3. What software do people use for pcb design.
4. How much do Ir diodes normally cost. I've looked online and it was suggesting $60 USD for 1

Thanks and I hope that this project can turn out to be the best it can be.

Last edited:
Reactions: cy

cy

Portables
Hi, I am soon going to be starting a zelda themed gwii with mx, bluetooth, and ir. I would like the design to be similar to gingers waker of the wiind. This is my first portable and will most likely be my last. I am willing to learn and answer any questions, if I make any mistakes feel free to comment. But first I would like to ask a few questions.
1. Is sla a good shell for a portable. I would like a smooth finish.
2. If using sla do you need to sand
3. What software do people use for pcb design.
4. How much do Ir diodes normally cost. I've looked online and it was suggesting $60 USD for 1

Thanks and I hope that this project can turn out to be the best it can be.
Hello and welcome!

From my experience sla doesn't require sanding, but you may want to sand for a bit of a smoother finish depending on how the print comes out. Just be aware that sla sands quickly, so be careful not to over do it. I had an Ashida case that was sla, and I ended up having to sand parts of the inside so that components like the fan and heatsinks would fit,

For PCB design, I've only ever tried Ki-CAD and it's been great from my experience. It is free and easy to learn, just make sure you don't skip making schematics for your PCBs like I used to.

Good luck with the build!

Thanks for the quick feedback! Can I get the stickboxes from a wii classic controller?

Portables
working on No.1
Thanks for the quick feedback! Can I get the stickboxes from a wii classic controller?
yes. you can also gt the z button switch from it as well.

Hi all, I was looking around and found cy's starlight gwii with hdmi out and was wondering if this could be achieved with both a vga switch and vga to hdmi circuit (shanks trick of opening up a vga to hdmi cable)? Does the vga coming off the wii have to be processed or can it just go into the splitter?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hi all, I was looking around and found cy's starlight gwii with hdmi out and was wondering if this could be achieved with both a vga switch and vga to hdmi circuit (shanks trick of opening up a vga to hdmi cable)? Does the vga coming off the wii have to be processed or can it just go into the splitter?
It can go straight to the splitter yeah. The only real consideration that needs to be made is whether the HDMI converter accepts interlaced VGA, as not all games/apps on the Wii support progressive scan. Most do, but there are a handful that just refuse to work.

Portables
Can you consider using a Wii2HDMI adapter disassembled?
I think is the cheapest option for using RGB/VGA and also adding a HDMI output

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
You can just solder right to the battery, but it's not best practice. If you really want to go that route though, you need to scratch the battery contacts with a razor to get a rough surface, and use a soldering iron with a FAT chisel tip and high heat (I'd probably use 750F). Having an iron with really good thermal transfer and stability is key here, as you want to have the iron on and off of the battery terminals as quickly as possible while still getting a good solder joint.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Portables
working on No.1
have you looked at the 4 Layer tech screen?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
have you looked at the 4 Layer tech screen?
That's a 16:9 panel. The standard G-Wii is designed for a 4:3 panel, although there is a modified design that suits a 16:9 panel on the forum somewhere

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
Holy long links, Batman. For future reference, you can trim off anything after and including the "?". That listing is for either an 800x480 16:9 IPS panel OR a 640x480 4:3 LCD. It's the same G-Wii screen, just with a different driver board.

@Guru-guru your best bet is to look up ZJ050NA-08C on Aliexpress and find the cheapest listing that has both the panel and the skinnier black driver board (as pictured)

Screenshot_20240327_071803_AliExpress.jpg