Question USB not working on trimmed Wii

Discussion in 'Wii' started by Varsius, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Varsius .

Hey,

I recently trimmed my Wii and it still works without any issues. Now I wanted to connect the two USB ports from the Wii but I can't get them to work. Here are some pictures of my work:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The magnet wires are twisted, I checked the connections with a multimeter and the 5V (blue) and ground (black) are also fine. Nevertheless, neither of the ports works. I always get the screen where it says that no configuration file was found. The USB drive worked perfectly when my Wii was not trimmed.

Do you have any ideas what could have gone wrong? Since my USB drive worked before, can't I just solder to the vias instead of C1 and C2 because I think the connection would be more durable?

2. xsping .

twisted the wires more tightly from begining to the end, and only wiring either of the two usb is ok, check the continuity between resistors to the vias, and the resistor will be easily damaged by overheating from iron, so you can try directly to solder the vias and be braver.

3. Varsius .

Ok, thanks for your reply, will try soldering directly to the vias tomorrow.

4. GingerOfOz no wario Staff Member . .

Portables:
    Your wires aren't twisted nearly tight enough. Use a drill to twist them as tightly as possible. Ideally, the two wires should look like 1 when you are finished.

Stitches likes this.
  5. Stitches 2 and a Half Dollarydoos Staff Member . .

Portables:
    USB data wires should be as short as possible and as close to EXACTLY the same length as you can reasonably achieve. After getting your twist on, try shortening them a bit. Also make sure you have the data lines connected to the right pins. If you switch them, bad shit happens.