Selling tesla batteries

Portables
0, working on one
Battery specifications:
Model : Tesla 2170
Dimensions : 21mm x 70mm
Compacity : 4800mah
Weight : 69 grams (nice i know)

Each battery is extracted from a tesla battery module as shown in the image, its a crap ton of manual labor as first off i have to pop off every single battery with PLASTIC TOOLS as metal can easily scratch the batteries, even worse each battery is held on by epoxy, covered in flame retardant, etc. Im not going to explain the entire process but after that we have to remove all the epoxy on the batteries. Its just a whole bunch of work and its really hard to sell. I was hoping i can rack up a few sales here, wish me luck .

Contact me:
[email protected]

Link:
RDT_20231018_1644428228459565750405462.jpg

I'd like to know, what are the benefits of using Tesla LiPo batteries over any other ones?

Portables
0, working on one
I'd like to know, what are the benefits of using Tesla LiPo batteries over any other ones?
Reliability, & longevity + the brand name ig. Could be viewed as a collector's item as well.

Y2K

"The PS1 Guy"
Staff member
[snip]

I should also ask, have you tested these cells and can you make any guarantee in terms of functionality and remaining capacity? If so, do you have a testing setup that you could show us so that we can confirm this guarantee? You are selling these for quite a high markup compared to the Samsung 50S cells that we typically use (5000mAh, 9.8A to 25A, $4.99 to $6.99 from 18650batterystore). It doesn't make much sense for anyone to buy a 21700 for $12.50 per cell if they don't come with any type of guarantee of quality or if they could end up even working properly in the long term. Regardless, I do appreciate your recycling effort, and if these cells are functional and remain functional in the long term, then it could prove to be a good environmental conservation effort and overall worth the price increase.

Last edited:
Portables
0, working on one
I should probably note to anyone interested in purchasing these or has purchased some of these already, using cylindrical cells that do not have any sort of wrapping or protection around the battery causes significant risk of shorting out the cell, so please consider applying a battery wrap to each cell before installing them in a build. Sites like 18650batterystore.com sell wraps, if you need a source.

I should also ask, have you tested these cells and can you make any guarantee in terms of functionality and remaining capacity? If so, do you have a testing setup that you could show us so that we can confirm this guarantee? You are selling these for quite a high markup compared to the Samsung 50S cells that we typically use (5000mAh, 9.8A to 25A, $4.99 to $6.99 from 18650batterystore), and considering they're unwrapped, the end user will need to factor buying wraps for the cells into the final cost. It doesn't make much sense for anyone to buy a 21700 for $12.50 per cell if they don't come with any type of guarantee of quality or if they could end up even working properly in the long term. Regardless, I do appreciate your recycling effort, and if these cells are functional and remain functional in the long term, then it could prove to be a good environmental conservation effort and overall worth the price increase.
They all come wrapped as shown in the picture i have attatched, its hard to spot from the top but it is there. Also yes i do infact test every individual cell before shipping and if your wondering how, i just use a multimeter. The markup might sound really unreasonable but if i sold it for any less i would barely be making a dime, the amount of work that goes into even a singular cell is crazy. The quality control is very tense as metal tools with scratch so we only use plastic, having the batteries in epoxy remover for too long will cause bubbles to form on the top of the cell, and almost always theres a little piece of epoxy so we have to be very careful and only apply it to that spot. Another thing to talk about is about every 100 cells fully cleaned i have to spend 60 dollars on new epoxy remover and not to mention how toxic it is to breath, had to spend over 100 for a mask that protects me and in the end whilst in the epoxy remover they could short causing the cells to become ruined and all the surrounding objects light on fire because the epoxy remover is flamable. Yes this has happened once ruined about 8 cells, been alot more careful after that incident. Overall this isnt an easy task, it requires alot of work and focus.
20231031_131551.jpg

Y2K

"The PS1 Guy"
Staff member
They all come wrapped as shown in the picture i have attatched, its hard to spot from the top but it is there. Also yes i do infact test every individual cell before shipping and if your wondering how, i just use a multimeter. The markup might sound really unreasonable but if i sold it for any less i would barely be making a dime, the amount of work that goes into even a singular cell is crazy. The quality control is very tense as metal tools with scratch so we only use plastic, having the batteries in epoxy remover for too long will cause bubbles to form on the top of the cell, and almost always theres a little piece of epoxy so we have to be very careful and only apply it to that spot. Another thing to talk about is about every 100 cells fully cleaned i have to spend 60 dollars on new epoxy remover and not to mention how toxic it is to breath, had to spend over 100 for a mask that protects me and in the end whilst in the epoxy remover they could short causing the cells to become ruined and all the surrounding objects light on fire because the epoxy remover is flamable. Yes this has happened once ruined about 8 cells, been alot more careful after that incident. Overall this isnt an easy task, it requires alot of work and focus.View attachment 30526
Oh perfect, thanks for the honesty and clarification! I'll clarify that I wasn't trying to be accusatory in any way, it's just important for people to know these things going in when dealing with lithium batteries.

What I'd recommend for your test setup is to do a full charge and discharge cycle of the cell using a dedicated charger that can report back the actual capacity of the cell. That way you can create a guarantee for your customers as to the actual capacity of the batteries, and can bin them accordingly in case you find some in the batch that are below a tolerance threshold. A multimeter doesn't do much good in measuring the health of a battery, unfortunately. The best case scenario is a proper lithium battery tester which can help you measure things like internal resistance.

I do appreciate your transparency though and wish you the best with your recycling endeavor!

Portables
0, working on one
Oh perfect, thanks for the honesty and clarification! I'll clarify that I wasn't trying to be accusatory in any way, it's just important for people to know these things going in when dealing with lithium batteries.

What I'd recommend for your test setup is to do a full charge and discharge cycle of the cell using a dedicated charger that can report back the actual capacity of the cell. That way you can create a guarantee for your customers as to the actual capacity of the batteries, and can bin them accordingly in case you find some in the batch that are below a tolerance threshold. A multimeter doesn't do much good in measuring the health of a battery, unfortunately. The best case scenario is a proper lithium battery tester which can help you measure things like internal resistance.

I do appreciate your transparency though and wish you the best with your recycling endeavor!
Oh alright, thanks.