Worklog RIIIIIP

Nick

Guess my machines in Celcius then. Learn something new everyday... :facepalm:

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I believe his is in C, since 400c is well above the average 280-300ish c it takes to melt solder.

Photo on 8-22-16 at 12.45 AM #2.jpg
Photo on 8-22-16 at 12.45 AM.jpg
the new board is trimmed, also did the u10 relocation, i just trimmed around it and kept it on the board, glued down and rewired. want to say it will work, but won't find out 'till its properly tested. how does it look? (btw it is soft modded - portablizemii) i might have a working board tomorrow that i can get the voltages off of. there's the board with the heatsink on it as well.

cheese

Staff member
Make sure you sand like crazy before turning that on, those inner corners can be a pain to sand properly

sure will, i still have to cut that top left corner some more in order to allow the usb ports to fit anyways lol

relocated the bluetooth module, using continuity, it makes contact, no bridges. once i can test the voltages ill be wiring up av too.
Photo on 8-22-16 at 9.55 PM #2.jpg
Photo on 8-22-16 at 9.55 PM.jpg

Looks good!
thanks man, i was a little worried at first, but then i figured i'd scratch the traces at different sections since it couldn't bridge if they weren't together.
might be able to shorten the data wires a lot more, i also used 22awg solid core wire for 5v and 12v. will swap it (probably) with stranded wire. is 22awg ok? would've used 18awg on those two like i did with the other places, but didn't think it was necessary (plus i couldn't actually use that thick of wire on any 12v pins lol)

cheese

Staff member
Nice find for placement, I may have to copy that in mine... Can't wait to see it finished!
22awg should be fine, the processor/gpu/ldo combo are the only parts that really need thicker wires since they can draw some amps, while the rest of the components stay quite low, usually in the milliamps range.

Nice find for placement, I may have to copy that in mine... Can't wait to see it finished!
22awg should be fine, the processor/gpu/ldo combo are the only parts that really need thicker wires since they can draw some amps, while the rest of the components stay quite low, usually in the milliamps range.
haha go for it, i might have to push mine a little further back, if it gets in the way of the batteries, i simply tossed it on my board and noticed it sat nice next to the nand (the chip i want to say) glad to hear that, ill do my best to make this project work out, really lovin' the wii for what it can do.

Ordering some stuff today. Probably going with regulators and screen and maybe tacts and sliders? Have to order a case for my n64 mini.

Have a lot of stuff on its way.
Aside from that i wired up av out, the usbs, as well as shortned the data wires on the bluetooth module. Something i was curious about was, on the guide, av has a few data lines. So do i have to do anything wit those? Ill have some pics up tomorrow

Josiah

"has done nothing for this community"
Portables
Looks pretty good! I hope to start a Wii Portable soon. I just finished my Gamecube Portable.

Looks pretty good! I hope to start a Wii Portable soon. I just finished my Gamecube Portable.
Thanks. I have to get my board running before i make any serious progress which i hope to do so today.
Nice, compared to the gc, the wii isnt as tedious to work with, but its interesting for sure. Good luck

Josiah

"has done nothing for this community"
Portables
Thanks. I have to get my board running before i make any serious progress which i hope to do so today.
Nice, compared to the gc, the wii isnt as tedious to work with, but its interesting for sure. Good luck
Thank you. Hope you get that board running soon!

Couldnt get the last board to run. Trimmed this new board, had it boot portablizemii. (before trim) Will do u10 relocation soon. This time i wont wire up bluetooth until confirmed booting board. Next week when i get paid ill be ordering some ti regs and maybe some batteries. By then i can finally finish the n64 mini and hopefully will recieve the stuff to assemble the front.

Attachments

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Lookin good dude. Here's a tip: relocate u10 before trimming so there is less to troubleshoot if it doesn't work right away after trimming. I usually like testing the custom regulators on the wii before trimming too.

Lookin good dude. Here's a tip: relocate u10 before trimming so there is less to troubleshoot if it doesn't work right away after trimming. I usually like testing the custom regulators on the wii before trimming too.
I hear you. But i couldnt remove u10 with heating so i just remove the section off with a dremel..i also dont have a way of testing the voltages so im currently forced to do it this way which is a pain.
I got some 3ds sliders so i can at least fiddle with my controller lol. Ill have more stuff posted tonight

Was wiring up av. A lot of the pins have continuity with all of the pins on the encoder. What does that mean, shorts? Bridges?