Question Reviving old board

Discussion in 'Wii' started by The_Smeags, Jun 26, 2019.

1. The_Smeags .

IMG_3532.JPG
    Here's an old board I tried fiddling with a couple years back when I was told that wiis became a popular modding console, I tried it a couple times, but kept failing because I wasn't properly testing it with the right power source. So after looking back at this now I thought I'd give it a try, I think my trim looks fine so who knows maybe it works. I ordered a power mii lite pcb which hasn't arrived yet (still not sure when it will) so I went ahead and ordered some ti regs for now which should arrive this up coming Monday
    They're wahs and was able to get 4 for $30.
    However, I was going over the resistors that I needed and was wondering how close to the needed resistance could I be? Like for the 3.3v line it says it needs 1.89k
    I assume I could just use a 1.8k resistor?
    But for 1v it needs 87.2k so I'd have to add 3 together since I assume something like 82k wouldn't work?
    If I have to add a few resistors together for most of them I'll do it, but if I can get away with a little resistance than I wouldn't mind that. I honestly wouldn't mind testing the two boards I cut, one could probably be a home console and the other a portable? just have to make sure they work.

2. jefflongo Broke BitBuilt Staff Member . .

Portables:
    Check the data sheet for the regulator. There's is a formula (also a precomputed table) to calculate the output voltage based on resistance. Just keep the output voltage within 0.05v of what's required. Given the option, go too high instead of too low since voltage will drop under load.

3. The_Smeags .

IMG_3524.PNG
    I'm assuming you're talking about this chart?
    Which is what I'm using, but the .05v is what I was looking for. The resistor pack I purchased just doesn't have the exact ones I need, but going over .05 allows me to use less resistors

4. jefflongo Broke BitBuilt Staff Member . .

Portables:
    For example, for the 1.15v line try to be in the 33.8k to 27.9k range. As you can see, the resistance matters more for higher voltages. You may have to use a resistor in parallel or series, but you shouldn't need more than 2 with a standard resistor kit like E12.

Stitches likes this.
  5. Stitches 2 and a Half Dollarydoos Staff Member . .

Portables:
    You're generally safe with using resistor values within 10% lower than what the datasheet says. So if you were to use a 84k or 82k resistor for the 1v line, that'd be fine. The range jeff mentioned above is good too, but I'd stick within 10% if you can.

The_Smeags likes this.
  6. The_Smeags .

Going to note that one down.
    But I'm getting something delievered by tonight, so if it's the pcb than I'm safe for this board, but I'll still test out the regs when they get here too.
    For simple testing purposes like this does the USB port have to be wired? Or would I just get the error message. I don't know if I still have the USB port, but if I don't I can order one if I can't find it.

7. jefflongo Broke BitBuilt Staff Member . .

Portables:
    You can wire reset to gnd and see if you boot to priiloader.

The_Smeags and Stitches like this.
  8. The_Smeags .

Ok well i have to wait about another week
    Long story short I thought I ordered 4 regs?
    I only ordered 2 lol
    So I'll be ordering another 2 maybe tonight?
    Should be getting the capacitors in a few days I think.

Edit: so how are you suppose to sink a wiimote to a wii without the tact switch?

9. GingerOfOz no wario Staff Member . .

Portables:
    You can always solder a wire to 3.3v and then touch it to the sync pad on the module. Just be careful that you don't accidentally hit anything else with the wire...

The_Smeags likes this.
  10. The_Smeags .

So you mean one of the pins on the Bluetooth module is for rewiring the sync button?

Edit: ok never mind I went over the guide again and i saw pin 12
    I also ordered the other two regulators that I still need, the capacitors cane in though.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019