Worklog Nintendo Cream "First Portable"

Cream

Hi BitBuilt I'm currently working on my first Nintendo Wii portable. I've been interested in portablizing
a system for a long time but never had the tools, or the understanding, on how everything works. Recently a good friend of mine @Jefflongo.724 built his beautiful Wii portable that inspired me to learn how to make one. So far he's been super helpful throughout this project by teaching me and allowing me to use all of his equipment and knowledge.

Nintendo Cream
Features:

• OMGWTF Trim (✔)
  • 7.4v 6800mAh (2S2P) 18650 battery configuration (✔)
  • 5" 4:3 composite display "Still looking for a screen"
  • GameCube controller buttons and 3DS sliders (✔)
  • All four controller ports, with a switch for internal/external p1 controls (✔)
  • Original AV out port to play on an external TV (✔)
  • IR LEDs for Wiimotes (✔)
  • Bluetooth sync (✔)
  • Games loaded on with USB
Parts List:
  • Black Nintendo Wii
  • USA Seller - Qty 2 - NEW Texas Instruments PTH08080WAH DC-DC Switching Converter
  • 4x PANASONIC NCR18650B 3400mAh 3.7V Li-ion Rechargeable Battery - Made in JAPAN
  • Mini 2*3W @ 4Ω PAM8803 Class D Audio Amplifier Board 3W+3W AMP For AVR PIC
  • Intelligent Balance Charging Protection Board 2S Packs 18650 lithium Satellite
  • 2xNintendo 3DS 3DSXL JOYSTICK ANALOG WITH THUMBSTICK ORIGINAL PART B101

As you can tell most of the features in this portable are identical to Jeff's First Portable - :NOGC: Edition, but honestly that's what i'm going for.

Progress:
U10 relocation:
IMG_5203.JPG
Bluetooth relocation:
IMG_5203.JPG
OMGWTF Trim: "Its located inside that zip-lock bag"
IMG_5242.PNG
Regulators:
IMG_5236.JPG
IMG_5237.JPG
IMG_5238.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π

Cream

The Nintendo Cream survived the trim and is alive and well! Pretty stoked on the progress so far now its time to design a case and trim down the length on some of these wires.

IMG_5289.JPG IMG_5293.JPG
Now we just wait on a caliper to be shipped to my address and then i'm going to start designing my case. I might make a mock up case for the time being with some poster board just to get a idea of the shape and size of it. I'm also looking for a solution or way to make my battery's in my case hot swappable. (Honestly kinda scared soldering wires to the battery's ¯\_(ツ)_/ )

Last edited:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Yeah, soldering to batteries is generally pretty safe if you're careful, but you will damage the cells at least a little bit. A good solution for this can be to look on Digi-Key or Mouser for battery clips. They have a bunch of different kinds that you could easily implement into your design, and then solder to those rather than to your batteries. Just some food for thought.

Looking really good so far!