Question NAND relocation help

Portables
1 Woodii
Hello BitBuilt!

I’m pretty much done with my other portable so I’m dipping my toes into a more difficult trim. I got this Wii working with homebrew and a relocated U10 but I couldn’t get it to work after I relocated the NAND.

01006D57-652E-4E33-B15D-1B607D03EC7C.jpeg
506AAACC-457D-4C1F-A288-D5800544009B.jpeg

There’s probably something really obvious I’m forgetting but don’t see anything

Portables
1 Woodii
You shorted 3.3v and ground on the flex. That blue wire on the flex is covering two pins, one is 3.3v and the other is ground. You shouldn't need to use any wires to connect the flex properly.
Oh shoot

9E569DD8-9667-4687-98B4-DE50F285717E.jpeg

Ok I fixed it and checked the continuity for all the connections but I still can’t get video, how do I know if I killed it?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Oh shoot

View attachment 14866
Ok I fixed it and checked the continuity for all the connections but I still can’t get video, how do I know if I killed it?
Did you check all the NAND pins against each other as well? I once lost two hours to a tiny solder wisp bridging two pins.

Luca

The two vias on the flex you shorted before should be connected to GND and 3.3v, make sure that you are getting 3.3v on one side of the capacitors on the flex.

Portables
1 Woodii
Solder the NAND back to its original location.
Was afraid you'd say that but I tried it anyway and I can confirm it still works.

The two vias on the flex you shorted before should be connected to GND and 3.3v, make sure that you are getting 3.3v on one side of the capacitors on the flex.
I tested it with the board on and I seem to be getting 3.3v on the flex. The ground also seems to work but I jumped a wire from the GND on the flex to another GND on the board to make sure.

Did you check all the NAND pins against each other as well? I once lost two hours to a tiny solder wisp bridging two pins.
Yup triple-checked them, I think the problem has to do with where the flex meets the board. I resoldered the NAND and resistors back to their original place and got it working but when I soldered it back on the flex I had the same problem as before. I checked the continuity of each of the points again and I noticed some of them don't have a very good connection despite me using a lot of flux and heat. Is there any trick to attaching the flex to the motherboard?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I always rasp the vias on the Wii first with a fibreglass pencil to bare all the copper, then tin the underside of the flex. My solder's not the best, so I find it more reliable that way.