Worklog My first ever build: the ashida

Started today and marked the trim lines for my wii.
image.jpg

one problem im having is learning how to relocate the mx chip. Will ask on console modding 101

Feeling Anxious this morning as I looked at other people's finished trims and they still have the capacitors on it and i removed mine. Was this a mistake?

Viilmo

Portables
Feeling Anxious this morning as I looked at other people's finished trims and they still have the capacitors on it and i removed mine. Was this a mistake?
Those caps are not required. They are used for video filtration

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
I would like to purchase some more quality solder because the one i have is pretty cheap. I also need some more soldering iron tips. This is the iron i have: Iron. Any suggestions for these?

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
Honestly as long as you're using leaded solder you're going to want to focus on using a high quality flux. Flux is the magic sauce with soldering. Personally I've been using This and LOVE it. Made soldering the AVE chip and vias much easier.

As for tips for that iron.. I'm not sure if they make tips fine enough for that kind of iron. That iron is more geared towards much larger jobs like glass work, soldering automotive harnesses, etc. Where temperature control isn't as important.

I'd recommend getting a temperature controlled iron. Or temp controlled iron/hot air station. Staying within 650-700F is very crucial for this level of SMD soldering. I have been using This with great success and it easily removes the U10 chip for the U10 relocation.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I would like to purchase some more quality solder because the one i have is pretty cheap. I also need some more soldering iron tips. This is the iron i have: Iron. Any suggestions for these?
Retro's flux is a good one. If you live in the US, you can also use pretty much any no-clean flux by the brand Kester. For your iron, I'd replace it if you can. A genuine Pinecil soldering iron is a great option, and has one of if not THE best price to performance ratios of any soldering iron available

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
Very swanky, looks good Bunnizer.

Retro's flux is a good one. If you live in the US, you can also use pretty much any no-clean flux by the brand Kester. For your iron, I'd replace it if you can. A genuine Pinecil soldering iron is a great option, and has one of if not THE best price to performance ratios of any soldering iron available
Ok i looked around and I found some solder and a iron that I want to run by y'all before I pull the trigger on them. Soldering Iron. Kester Solder. Also I have a pretty crappy multimeter I was looking at getting this one. Let me know what y'all think

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Ok i looked around and I found some solder and a iron that I want to run by y'all before I pull the trigger on them. Soldering Iron. Kester Solder. Also I have a pretty crappy multimeter I was looking at getting this one. Let me know what y'all think
That all looks good. You'll need a power supply for the Pinecil tho, it doesn't come with one. You can use any USB-C compliant PD power supply that can supply at least 65w, or you can use a 24v 3A DC barrel jack supply.

You could also buy the Pinecil and a power supply from Pine64 directly.