Worklog First Wii portable attempt No video :(

I'll post pics when I get home today this is my first Wii portable. I relocated the U-10 installed PM, everything booted fine. Did the OMGWTF trim sanded the edges, built my regulators using pth08080's I have a 1v, 1.15v, and 3.3v showing .9v, 1.1v, and 3v respectively. I have a 5" lcd composite screen works fine with an untrimmed wii. I have my regulators hooked up to proper voltage points on the board, and grounded, my screen is powered and the video is grounded as well as hooked up to the capacitor on the edge of the trim marked via the guide as composite. No video..do I physically have to add a power switch to boot it like when you hit the power button to turn on the Wii? Or should it just boot up? Do I have to have USB relocated? Is it under voltaged? Should i sand more???Any help would be appreciated

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
It looks like your 3.3v line is undervolted. Try lowering the resistance on it so that it's a lot closer. It's ok if your voltage is a little big higher than 3.3v, but 3v is definitely too low.

Okay I'll try to readjust that regulator to get a higher voltage then pray it works..lol thanks for the quick reply

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I'll post pics when I get home today this is my first Wii portable. I relocated the U-10 installed PM, everything booted fine. Did the OMGWTF trim sanded the edges, built my regulators using pth08080's I have a 1v, 1.15v, and 3.3v showing .9v, 1.1v, and 3v respectively. I have a 5" lcd composite screen works fine with an untrimmed wii. I have my regulators hooked up to proper voltage points on the board, and grounded, my screen is powered and the video is grounded as well as hooked up to the capacitor on the edge of the trim marked via the guide as composite. No video..do I physically have to add a power switch to boot it like when you hit the power button to turn on the Wii? Or should it just boot up? Do I have to have USB relocated? Is it under voltaged? Should i sand more???Any help would be appreciated
What does your 5v reg output?

BocuD

Portables
What does your 5v reg output?
He didn't mention it at all, so I don't think he built it yet. It doesn't really matter anyways since you don't need 5v to boot the wii, its only needed for USB.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
He didn't mention it at all, so I don't think he built it yet. It doesn't really matter anyways since you don't need 5v to boot the wii, its only needed for USB.
But without a USB connected you'll get a black screen for a while until Postloader comes up with its error screen. He may not have waited the 15 or so seconds it takes for it to show up.

I waited about a full minute. I don't have SD relocated yet. Just wanted to make sure the board isn't shorted before doing all of that. I don't have a 5v reg. Still same results, black screen. I adjusted my regulators. I'm getting .8v, 1.15v, and now 3.3v but still the same results, all under load. :( the location by the capacitor where you solder the component video cable, is that supposed to have voltage going to it because I'm getting no reading there. The majority of my board is heating up so I'm assuming it's all getting voltage but still no video. I'll def. Post a pic of what I've got today.

BocuD

Portables
I waited about a full minute. I don't have SD relocated yet. Just wanted to make sure the board isn't shorted before doing all of that. I don't have a 5v reg. Still same results, black screen. I adjusted my regulators. I'm getting .8v, 1.15v, and now 3.3v but still the same results, all under load. :( the location by the capacitor where you solder the component video cable, is that supposed to have voltage going to it because I'm getting no reading there. The majority of my board is heating up so I'm assuming it's all getting voltage but still no video. I'll def. Post a pic of what I've got today.
The 1.15 and 3.3v regulators look good, but 0.8v might just be too low for the wii to boot. Try adjusting that as well (usually ~70k ish gives me good results) and try again.

Have you sanded the boards after trimming? Also, did you install PortablizeMii before trimming the board?

Yeah I sanded all the edges are pretty smooth. But maybe I just have to sand more I can distinctly see four layers at some parts of the board. I haven't found any pics on here of a side view of the board to compare though. I did install PM and the no wifi cios everything booted fine before the trim. This is my trim

Attachments

@BocuD I'll try to get the regulator to 1v under load and see if that works. I'm going to send pics today of everything.

Did you remember to cut the trace for U10 relocation? Also, your wire looks too thick, it may be causing some short. I'd suggest 30 AWG magnet wire/enameled wire.

Yeah I cut the trace. I actually did it kind of backwards. I relocated the U-10, then installed PM. Then did the trim. Everything worked before the trim. I can try to replace the wire on the U-10. I just left it as is seeing as it was working.

If it did work after U10 relocation/PM install, most probably the problem lies in the trim itself, or the custom regulators, maybe even both. It would help if you could provide a side view pic of the trimmed board, and try not to blur it

This afternoon I'll take a lot of pics and upload em here. If that is the case hopefully it's not ruined. If so...I have another 4-layer board about to arrive in a few days

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
To check if you've sanded enough, you can check for shorts on the voltage lines to ground. A couple will be fairly low, but none should be less than 10ohms. Also yes, 0.8 is too low for the 1v line. Try to shoot for as close as you can, and being 0.05v over is better than 0.05v under (don't overdo it though, too high would break it!).

You also mentioned SD, what are you planning on doing that uses SD? Everything in the PM pack works over usb, as we only use SD for the initial setup.

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
the wii wouldn't show anything but a black screen if you didn't relocate the usb port yet.

you should connect the "reset" via to GND. this will cause the wii to show priiloader, even when booting the wii without usb.

i always solder a wire to test it, but you can also install a button if you like...

USB is what I meant, not SD. I hope the reset to ground is it. Thanks @Nold @cheese I'll test for shorts tonight. Still learning all of this. I've been reading the content on here for over a year but still seem to learn something new every other day. I'll try it out tonight.

Attachments

Okay so im getting .9v on the 1.15v line. 3.4v on the 3.3v line, and 1v on the 1v line..i keep rebuilding the 1.15 regulator and its fine until i connect it to the board. Then i don't get the volts I need...maybe because of shorts?. I'm getting 7.8ohms on the 3.3line, like .2ohms on the 1.15 and 0 ohms on the 1v line...I'm guessing I need to sand more? I sanded for a while stepping up from 600-1200 incrementally and its pretty darn smooth .no changes in ohms...i followed the trimming guide maybe even went a slight bit larger than the outline in some places to be sure to not cut to short to make room for sanding. This is the second 4layer i can't get to work..probably spent 40 hours so far trying to get thing to turn on. Tried the reset. Nothing. Very disheartening..almost ready to throw in the towel.