Discussion Custom BMS Balancer

Should I do it?

• Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

ruumoo

I thought about creating my own 3s Li-ion balancing/charging circuit to place on my recent projects pcb. But after some research, I havent found any solid leads on how to approach something like this. For comparison, if you search for "DIY audio amp circuit", you get truckloads of great designs.
Now my question: Is it a good Idea to atempt this as a relativly new PCB designer or should I better leave my hands of of it and buy an aftermarket board?

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
I think you'd want to make a battery charger, and battery management, a balancer is something else, (Makes sure they stay balance, and or balances them if they are unbalanced). battery charger, protects the battery, and chargers it from (usually) DC source.

so I think you want to make a battery management/safety

ruumoo

I think you'd want to make a battery charger, and battery management, a balancer is something else, (Makes sure they stay balance, and or balances them if they are unbalanced). battery charger, protects the battery, and chargers it from (usually) DC source.

so I think you want to make a battery management/safety
Yes I know the difference, but i'd like them to be balanced for longer life. My problem is, I know what li batteries are capapble of doing if handled wrong, so I have proper respect for them

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Thems balance chargers, something most portables are kinda already using, but much smaller. The protection boards we use that have taps for the individual cells use similar circuitry, albeit much smaller/cheaper/less accurate