Worklog Clear GWII build, with custom pcbs ;)

Ethan

Hello all its that time again where I attempt to learn to document my work.

The Plan
a clear Gwii
Black PCBs
minimal, but all white wiring
lots of patience

I have built a few Gwiis now but wanted one to keep for myself something special
Gman posted the glass gwii for sale and it was gone so fast but looked so good

so a week or 2 later this showed up
20210817_155215.jpg

this is the same options as Gman used from PCBway

its called UTR-8100 (transparent)

(Sorta) Day 1 of work

it appears to be a bit brittle when a tried a screw carefully so I haven't dared to put any screws very far in yet,
to remedy this I ordered an M2 tap and a corresponding size drill to cut threads for the m2 screws and avoid stripping them all out

SIDE NOTE (high quality wire :) )

I already had some white 30awg silicone rubber wire, but I had to yet to find some thicker stuff for the power wiring.
I ordered some and it arrived today
20210823_190324.jpg

i guess 500ft of the (thicker stuff) will do :)

also

for others to note, i stuck with 24awg since its what i've always used and 22 was about 2x the price

although maybe 500ft was a little excessive :P
1629771077028.png

1629771164622.png

either way I love this wire its super flexible easy to strip and doesn't burn or melt when being soldered to.

(Sorta) DAY 2

to go with the nice clear case I needed to have some nice black PCBs

in my previous build log i showed off my custom GC breakout boards for the gwii and here im building on those. they remain mostly the same though

changes include
1. all PCBS in black now :)
2.Screen control button board works for black and blue driver boards
3. best for last new PCB to eliminate most of the upper wiring

Screen control board has to sets of resistors to be configured for the BB store blue driver board or the eBay special black one
20210823_192208.jpg

some of the labels are wrong and I forgot to label the jumper pad which selects the blue driver board or black driver board configuration

Here are some pictures with the GC+ and U amp mounted as I did the first wire up (I have it in a spare orange case to avoid damaging the precious clear shell)

the goal with the big PCB was to reduce the top screen clutter of wires and have almost all of the wiring between haves solder to one spot on the board

I kept the RGB hv lines out cause i don't wanna have any signal losses that could come from being to close to other lines
the Ump i2c lines and GC data line are though so ill have to see if they work well or have any issues

20210817_165958.jpg
20210817_215157.jpg

the keen eyed of you may have notice the horrible screen flex placement, apparently I forgot how to count in the cutout location

as a result I had to trim down the PCB as close as possible to the U amp solder pads and even trim the Screen flex to fit, thankfully it was just unused ground space on my board and the screen so i think it may work, hopefully...

last thing for now i just needed the beauty shots to see what its gonna look like so here's some teasers

4 layer boards looking amazing and its cool that you can see the top side of the mobo
20210819_195246.jpg

with the black GC PCBs joysticks and screen test fit it looks pretty good
20210819_202428.jpg

now that ive got the all the needed wire and the rest of the parts i can continue on building in the orange case and ill just be waiting on the M2 tap to get proper threads in the clear shell

oh also clear 18650 sleeves are a thing, soo...
20210817_165356.jpg

(warning I do not recommend doing this as cutting the sleeves off can short the battery and get it hot and blow up and such)

Thanks to @Gunnar for posting the cool PCB way printing information and @SparkleBear for telling me to get up and make a build log here

(Sorta) day 3 will be coming soon

Attachments

Last edited:
Dang bro, thats one handsome portable... So stoked to see it coming together in the real. Makes me want to build one asap!!!

Good thing rev1 break out board cutout placement mistake will be covered by the wii mobo. Or else I know that would drive you crazy. Rev2 will sort it out I'm sure.

Think you will use an LED indicator for this build? Illuminate the whole case lol...

Ethan

Dang bro, thats one handsome portable... So stoked to see it coming together in the real. Makes me want to build one asap!!!

Good thing rev1 break out board cutout placement mistake will be covered by the wii mobo. Or else I know that would drive you crazy. Rev2 will sort it out I'm sure.

Think you will use an LED indicator for this build? Illuminate the whole case lol...
maybe I'll have to pleed with the pizza master for another update at 10% brightness for this

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
the v1.1 update we ended up reducing the brightness to 10%. 100% down to 50% was still blinding
1629903599176.png