Discussion Batteries

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
Have any questions about batteries? Post them here!

duncan

so what types of batteries should i get for a uncut wii and where do i connect them to the wii

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
@duncan, I would highly highly recommend that you read through ALL of the posts of the website before you start posting. Chances are that someone has either had the same question as you, or has already posted something about your question.

As for batteries and supplies check out the BOM: https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/portablizing-bom.367/

Please read the Definitive Wii Trimming guide before asking about where to put things. The pro's have spent hundreds of hours putting it together. One reason was to not have to answer this question for every single person that asks.

If you aren't going to do your own research and read though this website on your own, I can guarantee that you will have a really difficult time.

I would highly recommend that you follow this process in portabilzing:

#1. Make a goal of what you want (perhaps a wii portable or n64p)
- Be very specific on what you want. Do you want it to be landscape portable? What size of screen do you want? How do you want the case to look?
#2. Write down a list of all the things you are going to need. Obviously you want a screen, the console, batteries, controller, etc. Write down how much they cost and the total cost of the project.

#3. DO RESEARCH. don't just hop online and asking blind questions expecting everyone to jump to help you. this is a Do-It-Yourself modding community. We DO want to help, but we don't want to waste our time on people who aren't considerate enough to learn for themselves.

If you keep posting, demanding questions without doing any research you most likely will get banned.

#4. Buy all your things

#5. Make the portable. If you have questions, you can ask about specific issues or techniques.

duncan

ok thanks sorry about all the Questions i will check the guide out

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
ok thanks sorry about all the Questions i will check the guide out
'

I totally agree with @Noah, there is nothing wrong with asking questions, plus we are really excited that you are apart of the community!

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
@duncan, in regards to the types of batteries you could be using, there are a lot of sources. I know a lot of pros use Panasonics, but you will need a protection circuit with those. The BOM is probably one of the best sources for supplies and things that you will need for your portable, especially if you are portablizing a Wii.

My question is how to build a low battery led indicator for a battery pack. My portable is already done and it uses an external battery pack, but the battery level sensor I currently have is not very accurate so I want something that just lights up an led when it is on the brink of turning off. I have seen a post from g-man a long time ago, but i couldn't find it so I'm asking here.

Kojo

So I've noticed that 18450 cells are the way to go as long as they're connected to a a protection circuit, but if they get a short they can be pretty dangerous. I came across a vid that shows how to easily add insulation around each cell to prevent a short while working on it. It's a pretty cheap solution. I thought it would be pretty valuable for us beginners, but let me know if you think it's overkill and I can get rid of it.

I've got my cells and protection circuits finally, but I'm still a bit apprehensive about soldering the tabs to them. Do you guys have any tips on making those safely?

Another question I had was whether it's possible to connect charge n' play and a low-battery indicator at the same time? Or do I would it be wise to leave one of them out of my build?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I haven't had any issues, but I was pretty careful about it in general. Also, the Panasonic 18650s don't have that metal ring by the + terminal, it's actually a plastic piece with just the + inside, so they are much less dangerous than the ones shown (I pulled the plastic bit off and it is only the + terminal going to it).

You can connect both charge + play and low battery indicators at the same time, the low battery light will just turn off when charging + playing.

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
@Kojo, like Cheese is saying, the Charge and Play is more of a method of connecting things to a switch so that you can have both functionalities, but thanks for the vid. Anything like that is useful, most of the time. If you have anything else like that throw them on here.

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
A lot of do use 18650 li-ion batteries
This is wonderful to know, as a friend of mine in another forum sent me some 18650 "5300 mAH" batteries (I have doubts about the capacity due to how light the batteries are).
Has anyone tried using 18650 Li-Ion batteries?
The Panasonic 18650s are actually the recommended battery in the portablizing BOM
I saw the 3400mAH in the BOM, but because of issues with the computer I'm currently using, I wasn't able to visit the page, and didn't see they were also 18650 batteries.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
This is wonderful to know, as a friend of mine in another forum sent me some 18650 "5300 mAH" batteries (I have doubts about the capacity due to how light the batteries are).
There is no such thing as a li ion 18650 5300 mAh. If you are lucky those will be around 1000 mAh