Question AVE-HDMI Console Install - Help!

Hey all,

I am working to install an AVE-HDMI into my console as a psuedo-WiiDual. This is so I can get HDMI and Component out simultaneously.

1.jpg

As seen in the image, I have wired up the AVE-HDMI board to a WiiDual flex cable that is connected to my AVE-RVL. Do note this is a RVL-CPU-01 board, so the AVE-RVL chip might seem 90 degrees rotated compared to the later 4 layer boards. I have checked continuity on all the data pins, and verified the board is receiving the required 3.3V and 5V when the board is powered. I even found the FPGA on the chip is heating up when the system receives power, but no HDMI output is coming through. I've seen similar mods to this like the "Wii Solo" found here, and I basically worked to replicate that with the AVE-HDMI.

Anyone here know what I can do to test the functionality of my AVE-HDMI board? Or does anything jump out at you as a blatant error? More images below:

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Welp, rewired it all with lengths no longer than 10cm on the data lines and still no hdmi out, its working fine via component though. Anything else seem off?
5.jpg
6.jpg

Did you ever figure this out? I'd like to use this board on my Wii as well but need to know if it actually is installable by a hobbyist.

Did you ever figure this out? I'd like to use this board on my Wii as well but need to know if it actually is installable by a hobbyist.
I wasn't able to make it work regardless of what I tried, even got into contact with Electron Shepherd and they said my rewire was perfectly fine. I am shipping the AVE-HDMI board and purchasing a new one to see if I ruined it when I had the long wires on.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Are there any contacts on the underside of the AVE-HDMI board that could have shorted against a voltage line on the Wii and cooked the thing?

Are there any contacts on the underside of the AVE-HDMI board that could have shorted against a voltage line on the Wii and cooked the thing?
There are some tiny caps on the back that might've been shorted as well.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Perhaps when you get the replacement it'd be a good idea to put some tape on the underside to isolate that as a possible issue. I killed a GCDual once because of a short like that.

Perhaps when you get the replacement it'd be a good idea to put some tape on the underside to isolate that as a possible issue. I killed a GCDual once because of a short like that.
I'll definitely be more careful with my next one. I bet I killed it in some odd way like that

Darn.

Please let us know if you get it working. I want to try and install myself but I'm wary of doing so.
Still haven't even figured out how I would mount the thing exactly to make it (the hdmi port particularly) elegant and sturdy.

Portables
Darn.

Please let us know if you get it working. I want to try and install myself but I'm wary of doing so.
Still haven't even figured out how I would mount the thing exactly to make it (the hdmi port particularly) elegant and sturdy.
The install can be daunting for those that don't have experience with finer soldering but the ave-hdmi board now does have an fpc connector setup so you can place the HDMI port further away and a smaller PCB to fasten elsewhere

I'm currently debating whether a USB Microscope on my large monitor or a Head Magnifier would be better in allowing me to see my work better when doing micro soldering, and I plan on practicing with some junk boards first and checking my work. That part I think I can (most likely) handle with some practice.

I see on his site he has the FPC connector as an option, and that seems like the best route to go, allowing you to mount the HDMI-out right where it needs to go at the back of the console. But Unlike the WiiDual kit the holes are different...I'm not sure exactly how to mount the HDMI-out board elegantly, and robustly so it is sturdy and can withstand being plugged and unplugged.

Furthermore, it looks like JayRam2000 used the wrong type of wire? (If I am correct, correct me if I'm wrong?). It's my understanding that a thinner, "magnet type" wire (or so I am told) is correct for everything but a few wires like power. The type of wire that can be seen in Electron Shepherd's video when he installed it himself.

I'm not sure of the exact spec and gauge of that wire, but I imagine it has something to do with why JayRam's install didn't go well.

Last edited:
Darn.

I am going to use the new variant that has a FFC connector to deal with that, I was originally going to run those long wires so I could put the board where I wanted it, but now I am going to mirror the WiiDual's installation locations. I'll post more images as I progress with the new board next week.

I'm currently debating whether a USB Microscope on my large monitor or a Head Magnifier would be better in allowing me to see my work better when doing micro soldering, and I plan on practicing with some junk boards first and checking my work. That part I think I can (most likely) handle with some practice.

I see on his site he has the FPC connector as an option, and that seems like the best route to go, allowing you to mount the HDMI-out right where it needs to go at the back of the console. But Unlike the WiiDual kit the holes are different...I'm not sure exactly how to mount the HDMI-out board elegantly, and robustly so it is sturdy and can withstand being plugged and unplugged.

Furthermore, it looks like JayRam2000 used the wrong type of wire? (If I am correct, correct me if I'm wrong?). It's my understanding that a thinner, "magnet type" wire (or so I am told) is correct for everything but a few wires like power. The type of wire that can be seen in Electron Shepherd's video when he installed it himself.

I'm not sure of the exact spec and gauge of that wire, but I imagine it has something to do with why JayRam's install didn't go well.
My understanding is that any wire works as long as they are within the correct length requirements for signal integrity, but when it comes to this tier of console modding I'm still a noob. If I'm totally wrong, please let me know.

I did something like this for the mechanical install of the hdmi port. I just used solder and attached the lugs to the gold ground plane at about the same depth as the other ports. Use the Mini hdmi breakout for that one. That way its pretty much in the same place as the wii dual install and you can cut the case accordingly.

You will have to redrill through the breakout pcb to retain the holes for mounting the fan though.

Good luck!

IMG_8225.JPG