Worklog Ashida Round 1 - Zen in the Art of Worklogs.

Hey y'all... been putting together an Ashida build and its been really fun. A few speed bumps and road blocks but I'm loving it. It's not going as smoothly as I had hoped... so its about time I update a work log to see if I can iron this all out. :)

I ordered the PCBs on day one and soldered all the parts on as soon as they came in the mail. I still didn't have a case though. I took the internal buttons and pads from an official gamecube controller. Got the good stick boxes with the screw mounts. Nice! Mounted all the switches and opted for ribbon cable. I don't think took any pictures of this stage.

A few days after the Ashida was released, I ordered UTR 3100 dyed indigo from PCBWay. The case that arrived was painted as some of you may know the story of my and @Shank 's cases. They were not able to do a good dye job so they just ended up spray painting it.
IMG_7770.JPG

I was not totally happy with the paint job. Gman had given advice about going lightly and slowly with 1500 grit wet sanding to smooth it out and apply a clear coat. I thought it would be a nice thing so I decided to try to do follow that tip. I had never done any of that before so I kind of took off some of the corner paint. The layer was incredibly thin... woops.

IMG_7801.JPG

Then, I accidentally smudged the paint with IPA after cleaning a pcb. double woops... This prompted me to just strip all the paint off in hopes of repainting it nicely one day. I used 99% ipa and a clean lint free rag to rub off the paint layers. It has a strange appeal to it... Like a vintaged fender guitar. Except the partially dyed color is only OK looking. In retrospect, the paint job was actually not awful... Learning experiences.

IMG_7806.JPG
IMG_7805.JPG
IMG_7808.JPG
IMG_7809 2.JPG

I ordered some paint for the back, but actually couldn't wait any longer to build... so I just went with it. Whatever, it is what it is...

I started on the cooling system... Stuck the fan in with the sticker facing out so the axial fan sucks air in rather than pushing air out through the adjacent fan hole. There is a slot where the wires will pass through unhindered so they can be wired to the PMS. Inserted the two heat sink so that their channel was aligned with the exaust port on the top of the rear case half. Placed in heatsink with fins facing the fan. Prepped a piece of copper that was just big enough to be effective from a scrap I had in my parts bin. Peeled off the adhesive on the heatsink and stuck down the copper.
IMG_7826.JPG
IMG_7827.JPG
IMG_7828.JPG

(i also accidentally left the fan in the rear case in the first few minutes of wet sanding hence the paint stains and loud bearing... ill replace that woopsie one day soon)

Wired up my PMS2 and PMSPD, dropped in the populated Ashida custom PCBs, wired up grounds, battery clips out in shoulder button assembly.
Put leads on voltage lines with color code. One thing I found helpful with the battery clips was not to solder the wires anywhere but the top edge so that the clip could fully seat in the slot. I also ended up running battery wiring through the handy pass through that is a the same depth as the fan in that negative space in the back face of the rear case half. Great layout.
IMG_7843.JPG

Disassembled the eyoyo ips screen case to discover a BEHEMOTH of a screen driver board that would never fit in the portable. Also, fit caps and buttons into the controller and boards... Its cool I didn't need to modify any buttons or pads for my build... @Wesk said you might need to with some pads but we are not sure. (You will have to modify the Z button plastic male hinge part... just trim/sand the longer nub a bit shorter so both sides are about the same nub size.)
IMG_7824.JPG
IMG_7832.JPG

I hadn't planned on using my DirectDrive (DD) board for this project, but it was my only choice if i wanted to move forward with the parts i had on hand. Its a worthy project and a worthy screen. Set the screen in the slot like a glove... At first, I accidentally tried to attach the DD screen mount board with the ribbon set to go OVER the mount... but it actually goes flat against the screen with the mount on top of it... then bends around through the hole to mate with the board. Made a mistake about that at first... Never again. What a cute little board! Was so excited to see what it could do.
IMG_7825.JPG
IMG_7831.JPG
IMG_7834.JPG

Oh, one note about the tact switches for the Z buttons... I didn't have the correct kind that matched the holes in the ashida board. Not sure if anyone was able to source these but I couldn't find them. I ended up just using regular short clicky tact switches, Cutting one side of the legs off and soldered them in place. Using solder, I carefully bridged the mechanical support pads to the front metal face of the tact... this will help support with the stress of pushing the buttons. Be frugal with the solder because it can flow into the plastic part and fuse it in place... this worked perfectly.

IMG_7840.JPG

Time to do a quick trim and sand of a prepped 4 layer board... easy peasy. I've developed a trim method where after I cut the outline I will use the top face of the cutting wheel to sand the edges at a diagonal to get a good bit of the work done. Its kind of risky but i've had pretty flawless success with it so far. This time I actually got away with only doing a light filing with 200 grit diamond file and then finish with 320 sand paper. No shorts, all resistances were golden. I did the wireless U10 relocation and prepped all the i2c, DD and digital audio via's at the AVE-RVL patch points.

Wired up the Wii to the voltage lines... being sure to route them cleanly and cut them to length. Wired Power and Ground across the case halves to the GC+ board and jumped off of that for the DD power and ground lines. Soldered in the T- wire to the thermistor. Wired up the data lines... (of the two USB via sets, The INSIDE lines are D- and the OUTSIDE lines are D+... put that in the ol memory banks)... Ran the analog speaker wire pairs and start button tact line too. Wired up a temporary RCA cable to the composite AVE via and ground to test booting. Double checked there were no shorts... Popped the batteries in and pulled the switch...And it fired right up! Booting like normal...
IMG_7857.JPG

Carefully wired 34awg magnet wire to the via points for the DD and ran the labeled bare ends in the direction of the DD. I wanted to run all the lines and tie them off before wiring the other end so it would be a clean bundle. After tying them up I cleanly I cut each to length and soldered to appropriate pad. P1 data wired across top ready to go across the case to the GC+... I knew that i was going to have a few i2c devices that needed realestate at the vias. I tried one of these via fields that i trimmed off of the wii scraps. I thought I'd use one for SDW/SDA and one for SCW/SCL for PMS and DD i2c. However, this actually was the failure point. Maybe the extra layers caused interference?? I couldn't get them to work in the end but at this stage I was gonna try it. I also routed the digital audio wiring across and down to the wire run on the voltage side of the mobo.

IMG_7855.JPG
IMG_7868 2.JPG

Also take note of the trigger brackets, this stumped me at first when wesk recommended I just watch the release video! It shows every part fitting together! :)

The first test of the DD and Eyoyo screen yielded a crisp and beautiful video signal... Feels good.
IMG_7884.JPG

However, this is when I started to realize the problems. The PMSPD would not mount the SD card so i thought it needed a charge. The lithium battery I had came with very little charge. So, when I tried to test charging it led to the PMS board fritzing out and I think one of the chips got damaged... I have to inform y'all that the PMS board i used for this build at first was one of the boards i "fixed" from a short circuit mishap weeks earlier. I replaced the BQ chip and it booted up and voltages were outputting properly... I didn't test charging. So, something was wrong... And I believe this led to the PMSPD to also be damaged. I can not know for sure because my intimate knowledge of the deeper workings of these boards are still a bit beyond my understanding... but thats my hunch.

Anyway, PMS2 definitely was not working and by the end of troubleshooting the BQ was getting really hot to the touch with only inserting batteries... I luckily had a PMS Lite on the way from @4layertech that showed up the next morning. I wired up that bad boy next day and we had voltage lines back but still wouldn't mount or charge... 0v at UP and 0v at charging pads. Tried untwisting the SD, SC, PW and UP lines as @Gman advised. Oh yeah, don't forget to run a magnet wire from 1v8 line on the wii at LDO for 1v8 digital logic on the PMS Lite (and subsequently to the uamp)...
IMG_7865.JPG
IMG_7859.JPG

Swapped in a fresh PMSPD and we had all voltages and charging... ship shape. Still a bummer to have two bum boards from the first attempt. :( It means i get to learn even more about those boards to try to get them back into the line of duty. Progress...

Next was dialing in the shoulder buttons. In button tester, only the analog parts of the triggers worked. Not the full presses. @Wesk Recommended removing the small bracket that holds down the trigger assembly. This allowed the triggers to actuate to their fullest and register the full button press.
IMG_7885.JPG

Added bluetooth module. But could not mount on nand as i usually do as the DD takes up that negative space on the other side. Needed to rearrange the layout a bit. Bluetooth relocation was a success. :)

IMG_7886.JPG

I tested all functions of the portable (still have yet to do MX relocation) and the only thing out of place at this point is getting the speakers to fire. I know the digital audio lines are OK because I am getting sound in my headphones. I tested and re-tested speaker wiring (R+/- and L+/-) and both lines are connected correctly. Checked orientation of speakers... all as they are expected to be. So, either the speaker switch inside the headphone jack is malfunctioning, or there is an unforseen mis-wiring of analog speaker lines... I do remember @Gman having some sort of issues switching headphone jack on test build. I wonder if the same thing is going on for me.
IMG_7887.JPG

Other than this issue with the speakers this build is pretty much done... Unless, I do actually decide to paint the back... which is likely. But I am glad i got to get through this build with out waiting longer. I do have a utr8100 transparent case waiting for me at my PO box... so i may transfer these internals over to that, repaint and build a second... Or just build a whole other one with the transparent. Anyway. here are some photos of the semi-final internals and outisde. :)

IMG_7870 2.JPG
IMG_7871 2.JPG

IMG_7897.JPG
IMG_7899.JPG

IMG_7888.JPG
IMG_7890.JPG

IMG_7889.JPG
IMG_7891.JPG

Still tracking down the analog audio issue... This will get buttoned up soon.

Thanks to @That_Random_Guy for printing me the internal parts.

Special thanks to @Gman and @Wesk for putting this build together. And for also giving me tips along the way when I need help. Its such an elegant and brilliant design. Love it so much! Looks great, feels great, is great...

Cheers everyone. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hey y'all... been putting together an Ashida build and its been really fun. A few speed bumps and road blocks but I'm loving it. It's not going as smoothly as I had hoped... so its about time I update a work log to see if I can iron this all out. :)

I ordered the PCBs on day one and soldered all the parts on as soon as they came in the mail. I still didn't have a case though. I took the internal buttons and pads from an official gamecube controller. Got the good stick boxes with the screw mounts. Nice! Mounted all the switches and opted for ribbon cable. I don't think took any pictures of this stage.

A few days after the Ashida was released, I ordered UTR 3100 dyed indigo from PCBWay. The case that arrived was painted as some of you may know the story of my and @Shank 's cases. They were not able to do a good dye job so they just ended up spray painting it.
View attachment 19574

I was not totally happy with the paint job. Gman had given advice about going lightly and slowly with 1500 grit wet sanding to smooth it out and apply a clear coat. I thought it would be a nice thing so I decided to try to do follow that tip. I had never done any of that before so I kind of took off some of the corner paint. The layer was incredibly thin... woops.

View attachment 19568

Then, I accidentally smudged the paint with IPA after cleaning a pcb. double woops... This prompted me to just strip all the paint off in hopes of repainting it nicely one day. I used 99% ipa and a clean lint free rag to rub off the paint layers. It has a strange appeal to it... Like a vintaged fender guitar. Except the partially dyed color is only OK looking. In retrospect, the paint job was actually not awful... Learning experiences.

View attachment 19569View attachment 19571View attachment 19583View attachment 19596

I ordered some paint for the back, but actually couldn't wait any longer to build... so I just went with it. Whatever, it is what it is...

I started on the cooling system... Stuck the fan in with the sticker facing out so the axial fan sucks air in rather than pushing air out through the adjacent fan hole. There is a slot where the wires will pass through unhindered so they can be wired to the PMS. Inserted the two heat sink so that their channel was aligned with the exaust port on the top of the rear case half. Placed in heatsink with fins facing the fan. Prepped a piece of copper that was just big enough to be effective from a scrap I had in my parts bin. Peeled off the adhesive on the heatsink and stuck down the copper.
View attachment 19581View attachment 19578View attachment 19584
(i also accidentally left the fan in the rear case in the first few minutes of wet sanding hence the paint stains and loud bearing... ill replace that woopsie one day soon)

Wired up my PMS2 and PMSPD, dropped in the populated Ashida custom PCBs, wired up grounds, battery clips out in shoulder button assembly.
Put leads on voltage lines with color code. One thing I found helpful with the battery clips was not to solder the wires anywhere but the top edge so that the clip could fully seat in the slot. I also ended up running battery wiring through the handy pass through that is a the same depth as the fan in that negative space in the back face of the rear case half. Great layout.
View attachment 19588

Disassembled the eyoyo ips screen case to discover a BEHEMOTH of a screen driver board that would never fit in the portable. Also, fit caps and buttons into the controller and boards... Its cool I didn't need to modify any buttons or pads for my build... @Wesk said you might need to with some pads but we are not sure. (You will have to modify the Z button plastic male hinge part... just trim/sand the longer nub a bit shorter so both sides are about the same nub size.)
View attachment 19585View attachment 19582

I hadn't planned on using my DirectDrive (DD) board for this project, but it was my only choice if i wanted to move forward with the parts i had on hand. Its a worthy project and a worthy screen. Set the screen in the slot like a glove... At first, I accidentally tried to attach the DD screen mount board with the ribbon set to go OVER the mount... but it actually goes flat against the screen with the mount on top of it... then bends around through the hole to mate with the board. Made a mistake about that at first... Never again. What a cute little board! Was so excited to see what it could do.
View attachment 19595View attachment 19577View attachment 19580

Oh, one note about the tact switches for the Z buttons... I didn't have the correct kind that matched the holes in the ashida board. Not sure if anyone was able to source these but I couldn't find them. I ended up just using regular short clicky tact switches, Cutting one side of the legs off and soldered them in place. Using solder, I carefully bridged the mechanical support pads to the front metal face of the tact... this will help support with the stress of pushing the buttons. Be frugal with the solder because it can flow into the plastic part and fuse it in place... this worked perfectly.

View attachment 19599

Time to do a quick trim and sand of a prepped 4 layer board... easy peasy. I've developed a trim method where after I cut the outline I will use the top face of the cutting wheel to sand the edges at a diagonal to get a good bit of the work done. Its kind of risky but i've had pretty flawless success with it so far. This time I actually got away with only doing a light filing with 200 grit diamond file and then finish with 320 sand paper. No shorts, all resistances were golden. I did the wireless U10 relocation and prepped all the i2c, DD and digital audio via's at the AVE-RVL patch points.

Wired up the Wii to the voltage lines... being sure to route them cleanly and cut them to length. Wired Power and Ground across the case halves to the GC+ board and jumped off of that for the DD power and ground lines. Soldered in the T- wire to the thermistor. Wired up the data lines... (of the two USB via sets, The INSIDE lines are D- and the OUTSIDE lines are D+... put that in the ol memory banks)... Ran the analog speaker wire pairs and start button tact line too. Wired up a temporary RCA cable to the composite AVE via and ground to test booting. Double checked there were no shorts... Popped the batteries in and pulled the switch...And it fired right up! Booting like normal...
View attachment 19600

Carefully wired 34awg magnet wire to the via points for the DD and ran the labeled bare ends in the direction of the DD. I wanted to run all the lines and tie them off before wiring the other end so it would be a clean bundle. After tying them up I cleanly I cut each to length and soldered to appropriate pad. P1 data wired across top ready to go across the case to the GC+... I knew that i was going to have a few i2c devices that needed realestate at the vias. I tried one of these via fields that i trimmed off of the wii scraps. I thought I'd use one for SDW/SDA and one for SCW/SCL for PMS and DD i2c. However, this actually was the failure point. Maybe the extra layers caused interference?? I couldn't get them to work in the end but at this stage I was gonna try it. I also routed the digital audio wiring across and down to the wire run on the voltage side of the mobo.

View attachment 19587View attachment 19605

Also take note of the trigger brackets, this stumped me at first when wesk recommended I just watch the release video! It shows every part fitting together! :)

The first test of the DD and Eyoyo screen yielded a crisp and beautiful video signal... Feels good.
View attachment 19616

However, this is when I started to realize the problems. The PMSPD would not mount the SD card so i thought it needed a charge. The lithium battery I had came with very little charge. So, when I tried to test charging it led to the PMS board fritzing out and I think one of the chips got damaged... I have to inform y'all that the PMS board i used for this build at first was one of the boards i "fixed" from a short circuit mishap weeks earlier. I replaced the BQ chip and it booted up and voltages were outputting properly... I didn't test charging. So, something was wrong... And I believe this led to the PMSPD to also be damaged. I can not know for sure because my intimate knowledge of the deeper workings of these boards are still a bit beyond my understanding... but thats my hunch.

Anyway, PMS2 definitely was not working and by the end of troubleshooting the BQ was getting really hot to the touch with only inserting batteries... I luckily had a PMS Lite on the way from @4layertech that showed up the next morning. I wired up that bad boy next day and we had voltage lines back but still wouldn't mount or charge... 0v at UP and 0v at charging pads. Tried untwisting the SD, SC, PW and UP lines as @Gman advised. Oh yeah, don't forget to run a magnet wire from 1v8 line on the wii at LDO for 1v8 digital logic on the PMS Lite (and subsequently to the uamp)...
View attachment 19606View attachment 19603

Swapped in a fresh PMSPD and we had all voltages and charging... ship shape. Still a bummer to have two bum boards from the first attempt. :( It means i get to learn even more about those boards to try to get them back into the line of duty. Progress...

Next was dialing in the shoulder buttons. In button tester, only the analog parts of the triggers worked. Not the full presses. @Wesk Recommended removing the small bracket that holds down the trigger assembly. This allowed the triggers to actuate to their fullest and register the full button press.
View attachment 19617

Added bluetooth module. But could not mount on nand as i usually do as the DD takes up that negative space on the other side. Needed to rearrange the layout a bit. Bluetooth relocation was a success. :)

View attachment 19618

I tested all functions of the portable (still have yet to do MX relocation) and the only thing out of place at this point is getting the speakers to fire. I know the digital audio lines are OK because I am getting sound in my headphones. I tested and re-tested speaker wiring (R+/- and L+/-) and both lines are connected correctly. Checked orientation of speakers... all as they are expected to be. So, either the speaker switch inside the headphone jack is malfunctioning, or there is an unforseen mis-wiring of analog speaker lines... I do remember @Gman having some sort of issues switching headphone jack on test build. I wonder if the same thing is going on for me.
View attachment 19619

Other than this issue with the speakers this build is pretty much done... Unless, I do actually decide to paint the back... which is likely. But I am glad i got to get through this build with out waiting longer. I do have a utr8100 transparent case waiting for me at my PO box... so i may transfer these internals over to that, repaint and build a second... Or just build a whole other one with the transparent. Anyway. here are some photos of the semi-final internals and outisde. :)

View attachment 19620View attachment 19608
View attachment 19621View attachment 19623
View attachment 19626View attachment 19627
View attachment 19624 View attachment 19625

Still tracking down the analog audio issue... This will get buttoned up soon.

Thanks to @That_Random_Guy for printing me the internal parts.

Special thanks to @Gman and @Wesk for putting this build together. And for also giving me tips along the way when I need help. Its such an elegant and brilliant design. Love it so much! Looks great, feels great, is great...

Cheers everyone. :)
Yeah that Eyoyo board is heckin' chonky. I remember opening it for the first time when I discovered the thing and audibly "what the actual fuck"-ing. At least the panel it comes with is IPS, got them good angles!

Nice work on the build too! I kinda like the pre-faded jeans look of the rear case half.

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
No copper sheet is needed for the cooling as there's direct contact to both heatsinks. The copper sheet is only needed for portables that have a heatsink and fan sitting side-by-side.

The build is looking really good man, hopefully you can sort out the remaining issues with little trouble. This worklog will be a great resource for people building an Ashida for the first time.

Last edited:
Ahh, Good ol' user error... the "headphone switching" issue was not what was going on. I had overlooked to solder J3 on the uamp board. So uamp was just turning itself all the way down because it was listening for digital tact buttons but was connected to the analog pot. Seems to be in good working order. Im really glad it wasnt the weird interference issue. Thanks @Gman for the hawk eye.

1635099952011.png

I actually blame it on the color red not being bold enough of a color to get my attention..............
:facepalm:

MX and shes all done to be buttoned up.

Alright y'all, its another one of those days where it gets so close you can taste it. Then something else goes wrong that you have never encountered before.

MX relocation was mostly a meditation on layout. Where to put the chip and run the wires. I decided to the left of the mobo was the spot. I prepped the MX chip and ran long MX wires so i could route them cleanly and cut them to length. I also passed them down and under the mx chip for strain relief on the solder joints and wire. Ran the wires cleanly... Soldered them to the pads. Since Im using the DD, the CK and DI for DD are the same pins as 11 and 14 for the mx. So I just tacked them both down to the same vias. Tested for shorts and fired it up... Saw the clock at the top of RVLoader and was relieved. Powered down...

IMG_7913.JPG
IMG_7911.JPG

IMG_7910.JPG
IMG_7912.JPG

IMG_7915.JPG

I decided I was going to use wrapping wire to tie up the bundles and keep it super clean then button it up for the cutting edge.. But when I brought it back in the van it actually wouldn't boot back up. ;( I measured 4R between ground and ALL the voltage lines while the PMS lite was off. Measuring the voltage when PMS is off gives 0v at each rail. When I disconnect the batteries, the resistance returns to the voltage lines. When I plug the batteries back in the resistnace drops a bit but not close to 0... I power up the PMS and test all voltage lines as expected. 3v3 line measures 3.25, 1v measures .97, 1v8 measures 1.76v, and 1v15 measures 1.13v.

I thought maybe the DD wasn't getting power properly or i knocked one of the video lines... So I wired up composite to test wii. No boot. I even tried booting the wii with the PTH test supply i built. No boot...

IMG_7916.JPG

I will be going over the wiring to all of the systems meticulously. Its kind of funny it happened right at the last step. *sigh*

Any advice or wisdom from the community would be greatly appreciated.

CHEERS! :)

Attachments

OK good news! I totally forgot about the MODE pin for the composite test. Once I removed the mode pin I am getting a boot from the system and the screen fired up too... so strange. But its relieving that the wii is booting... going to keep testing. But I breathe a sigh of relief right now...

IMG_7917.JPG

Maybe the mode wire was shorting some how??

So strange that when I removed the composite wiring, the screen stopped working too... I believe the issue is in the DD wiring somehow. Or perhaps the sharing of those lines between MX and DD is causing an issue?

I touched up all the DD wiring points and ensured that there were no shorts between adjacent pads.

Screen still wont fire up.

Mysteries abound.

I'll report back soon. :)

Last edited:

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
OK good news! I totally forgot about the MODE pin for the composite test. Once I removed the mode pin I am getting a boot from the system and the screen fired up too... so strange. But its relieving that the wii is booting... going to keep testing. But I breathe a sigh of relief right now...

View attachment 19638

Maybe the mode wire was shorting some how??

So strange that when I removed the composite wiring, the screen stopped working too... I believe the issue is in the DD wiring somehow. Or perhaps the sharing of those lines between MX and DD is causing an issue?

I touched up all the DD wiring points and ensured that there were no shorts between adjacent pads.

Screen still wont fire up.

Mysteries abound.

I'll report back soon. :)
I would not trust any resistance measurement test on a live circuit, always disconnect the circuit before measuring resistance. I don't the details of how exactly the Wii works, but I don't think there should be anything inherently wrong about the DI/CK lines being shared. IIRC the Wii is just an SPI master and there are separate CS pins for each slave device (MX/DD). But @Aurelio might be able to shed some more light on that. I also don't know how fast the SPI communication is, but sometimes wire length is an issue for really high speed SPI.

Portables
Sexy. What paint did you use it looks just like the original indigo

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I would not trust any resistance measurement test on a live circuit, always disconnect the circuit before measuring resistance. I don't the details of how exactly the Wii works, but I don't think there should be anything inherently wrong about the DI/CK lines being shared. IIRC the Wii is just an SPI master and there are separate CS pins for each slave device (MX/DD). But @Aurelio might be able to shed some more light on that. I also don't know how fast the SPI communication is, but sometimes wire length is an issue for really high speed SPI.
The DD isn't actually wired as a full SPI device. Only data and clock are wired and are used only to configure the FPGA on boot, then never again (which makes it work despite the MX being there or not)

Very interesting @Aurelio, Thanks for chiming in with that. Thanks for the info on that insight @jefflongo ...

So here is where I am at after working in the sunshine for a little while on the build:

Last night I tried to swap over to FPC breakout for the digital video lines, it seemed to work at first but developed a tiny short under the fpc lamination that i couldn't see. I lost all video, even with composite. So it was either not booting or there was a short... which there was. I tracked that down this morning, thankfully... I also soldered up the MX and DD together and they seemed to play nice.

IMG_7935.JPG
IMG_7929.JPG

IMG_7932.JPG
IMG_7933.JPG

However, even though the build was booting and showing composite video every time I would power on, It would only show video on the screen intermittently. And it also seemed only to be showing video when the case halves were splayed open... and when it was closed or close to closed the DD/Screen would not fire up with the booting wii... more troubleshooting necessary.

I removed the wireless u10 chip relocation and wired in the emulation from PMS Lite. That area was a bit congested and wanted to keep it a bit cleaner. I never suspected the u10 being an issue itself electrically however, with so many necessary vias it was difficult to troubleshoot that area with the chip there. Hence using the PMS u10 pad.
Once I desoldered the chip, I noticed a nice puddle of gel flux under there. Glad to clean that out...

IMG_7939.JPG

I figured that since the portable doesn't show video when its closed its either something mecahnically pressing on solder joints making them disconnect, or a short of some kind between the two halves. @Wesk informed me I do not need the copper plate because there are two heat sinks that each make contact with the chips. So I removed that plate to get back a few millimeters of clearance. I also did a good bundling of the wire run with some wrapping wire... nothing like sweet sweet clean wire runs. ;P

IMG_7940.JPG

Still though, sometimes even when its open the screen wont work... so there is still something awry here. Good thing it seems to be continually booting when I check with composite. If I cant sort it out with this FPC on there, I am going to desolder fpc, clear the AVE Via field, prep vias with good gel flux and fresh solder... clean and fresh and trustworthy...

Seems with the tiny via wiring, it just needs to be done right the first time. Any futzing with it after the fact and it just is bad news...

The foundation is solid. The Wii, voltages and mx, bt, controls... all the systems are solid right now except the digital video situation. And again, the fact that it keeps booting when i check composite keeps inspired to discover whats actually going on.

I really want this to be consistent and reliable... i will get there eventually.
What a rollercoaster...

Thanks for the support y'all.

Attachments

Hey y'all,
I did a little late evening troubleshooting sesh to hone in on the DD and MX lines.
1635225560987.png

First, I pulled all the wires off this area; DD wires, MX Wires and u10 wire from pms. Then scrubbed the whole board with ipa and a toothbrush. Using gel flux and some fresh solder, i reprepped the vias and soldered ONLY CK and DI for DD; leaving out mx for now. Since I feel fairly confident in the foundation of the wii booting on its own accord, I also returned mode pin to 3v3; as I would no longer need to test composite to confirm boot. I trimmed the tips of the magnet wire so only a milimeter or less of the exposed, tinned copper was showing. Little tiny bit of gel solder and a tinned tip gave a really solid joint with only one wire. I need this sort of simplicity after the rollercoaster of chasing down this portable's ascension to the cutting edge floor. :)

This 'DD wiring only' scenario seemed to give me consistent booting of video with mode pin engaged; also able to close up the unit... temporary respite.

In light of this simplicity of soldering, I have decided not to piggy back the sda scl or ck DI lines either; but rather to chain them together. The critical DD's CK and DI are wired directly to wii mobo and then sending them from DD pads down to the MX pins. I also wired the PMS to the AVE Via field points and jumped from PMS pads to the SDA SCL pads on DD board. This seems like it would be more reliable and simplify crowded wiring at tiny vias.

Its much more spacious now...
The wiring for SDW SCW (SDA SCL same same) and the MX wires are just running up the second wire run on the left side.
IMG_7953.JPG
IMG_7954.JPG
IMG_7955.JPG

Oh yes, I also thickened the DD's power/ground wires to 28awg and pulled it right from PMS pads.

I believe my batteries were almost dead/died before this most recent soldering sesh -- so I have yet fully test. It was behaving erratically, like either i2c would work and controlls wouldnt or visa versa. Flip flopping randomly between boot cycles. Then the motherboards started making a weird squealing sound... Time to charge up these big ol' 12700's

At least I hope that is the problem........ if its something else I might lose my cool... lol

Stay tuned...

Last edited:
Well my friends, its been an interesting and unexpected turn of events... I could either laugh or cry about it. I think I still have the choice -- so ill laugh.

I have been having very strange issues with my build. As you know, i've been trying to hone in the video and the good news is the video has been rock solid today! Woo! booting with DD video every single time. However, the squealing was not just a low power issue. It was actually the GC+2 chip... I am not sure why but it started tweaking out. I figured i blew it somehow, so I swapped in a spare GC+ board... this did not bring back controller data with the wii. But it was no longer a whiner... Before soldering in the fresh gc+ board I tried hooking up the power to the desoldered squealer just to see what would happen. The wii would not boot... if i desoldered the power lines the wii would boot. Tested this a few more times with consistent behavior... *shrug*... Soldered in the fresh GC+ to the ashida board and wired it all up as intended. Wii boots but no controller response still... Touched up all joints and cleaned every board with IPA. Nada

IMG_7956.JPG

I thought it might be power issue -- it had been wired from the power pads of the DD with 30ga kynar. I swapped it for 28ga stranded and wired it straight to the PMS pads. This is probably how i should've wired it since the beginning -- but it still didn't bring the data back. I desoldered the wire from wii controller data line and wired in a GC controller port directly to p1 data via. Double checked pinout and wiring with trimming guide and all checked out. Booted up with still no controller responsiveness. I would power cycle a few more times with the same results.

IMG_7959.JPG

However, I was able to get a different behavior randomly... which is the same behavior i observed last night. If the i2c lines were all screwy (-273c and 0% battery tells me this), the controller data would respond and I could scroll through menus and select. However, the menu was all strobey and the mx clock time was flashing with it too... I took this opportunity to boot into system menu and pair a wiimote for futher testing. I was successful in pairing and restarted. The pms responsiveness with temp and battery percentage came back and the controller data went away as i expected... however, now I had a wiimote paired and i could still not scroll through the menus with wiimote. This is a telling behavior... what it tells me i am not sure but its curious indeed.

Here is what the weird state of the wii looks like when the controller data is actually being recognized... A little youtube upload since i cant post vids on forum.

Data lines are not bridged... clean solder work everywhere, as far as i can see. But as @Gman says. Its either soldered or its not... soooooooo.... *shrug*
IMG_7960.JPG

my oh my... oh Ashida, you cruel mistress...

Attachments

Last edited:

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
The issue is not with the controller. It seems to me to be an i2c issue. You probably either have too long wires or you're wiring everything in a weird way (like cascading i2c devices). It'd be ideal if you wire everything to the wii vias. I understand that it's not easy to solder multiple wires to one via, so maybe try soldering one wire for a short distance and then solder other wires to it.

Ahh, interesting… I thought it might be an i2c issue when the paired wiimote wouldn’t control the Wii anymore. I won’t cascade my lines anymore. I will rework that next time I’m at the workbench.

It’s interesting that the i2c conflict can stop controllers from working. I’ll shorten up the lines and uncascade and report back here! :)

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Ahh, interesting… I thought it might be an i2c issue when the paired wiimote wouldn’t control the Wii anymore. I won’t cascade my lines anymore. I will rework that next time I’m at the workbench.

It’s interesting that the i2c conflict can stop controllers from working. I’ll shorten up the lines and uncascade and report back here! :)
if there is an i2c hangup, it hangs up rvloader and it wont poll the controllers

Well friends, its been a while.. and the portable has been worked on until completion weeks ago. But I thought I'd take the time to update the worklog before posting to cutting edge.

I was having alot of trouble with the DD setup and decided to just go with vga for this first ashida build and save the DD for my next build...

I ended up removing everything from the back half of the case and painting it indigo. I got custom pantone paint from MyPerfectColor.com. They were very nice and filled the order quickly. Prepped the back of the case with 1500 sand paper and stripped the remaining paint with rubbing alcohol and kimiwipes.
IMG_8041.JPG
IMG_8043.JPG
IMG_8042.JPG
IMG_8044.JPG

It looks like a tangled mess but it all had to come out to paint the back...

First step was to prime. I had light gray tamiya primer that i sprayed... I set up a little paint station outside the van camp and got started... I used a bit of hot glue to attach a small segmet of dowel to allow for handling without risk of touching painted surface. I figured a light hot gluing would be easy to break off later. I rigged up a little half box thing and used a clamp clip to hold the case dowel to the box. The first layer turned out with a weird texture; clumpy and uneven. Uh oh...
IMG_8049.JPG
IMG_8052.JPG

I had never done a paint job before, @Wesk gave me some really helpful advice about the process. He had said that its clumping because the paint was too cold. He recommended that I sit the paint can in some warm water... A little above body temp (104deg F/ 40C) and allow the paint to warm up. This actually helped a smooth spread alot. Thanks Wesk!!
IMG_8051.JPG
IMG_8060.JPG
IMG_8054.JPG

I took my time spraying light layer after layer with an hour or so in between until i ran out of the 180ml can I was using. The schedule was like Light spray > 5 minutes > light spray > 5 minutes > Light spray>wait 90 minutes. I would do two or three rounds of that per day. Wesk and Gman both said how important it would be to allow a full cure before switching to the next step of paint... I did the priming in two days with a whole extra day for curing. The arm pits of the portable didnt really get even spread... perhaps because it was kind of windy both days. After allowing it to cure, I used 1500-2000 sand paper to get the texture to a place where i wanted it before moving on to the color.

I was hoping that the color would be closer to the PCBWay Pantone but i knew it wouldn't match perfectly. I actually ended up really liking the two tone indigo vibes.
IMG_8050 2.JPG
IMG_8063.JPG
IMG_8065.JPG
IMG_8064.JPG

I followed the same painting schedule for the color as with the primer. Except i took three days to paint and two days to cure. I would get some little dust or hairs under a layer and i would allow it to dry alot before trying to sand them smooth. It seemed to work well even though i dont know if thats the best practice. After allowing to cure, I did one last 2k grit sanding of any areas i wanted to be smoother before applying clear coat.

This step was only two days of application. I did 5 really light layers in one afternoon... let it dry. 2k grit fixups, then a heavy layer the next day... then allowed to fully cure.
I was on the road so some of the curing happened on the dash. lol...

IMG_8073.JPG
IMG_8076.JPG

IMG_8081.JPG
IMG_8071.JPG

I am pleased with how this turned out! Definitely not a perfect match but the two tone is cool!

IMG_8082.JPG

Attachments

Next was reassembly... then testing ;P

I only had to desolder the wires that passed under the cooling system. Tried to stay as tidy as possible with out straining the connections. Reassembly went pretty smoothly. As you can see, the buydisplay TN is hooked up to VGA. (Saving the Eyoyo and DD for the next ashida)

IMG_8090.JPG
IMG_8100.JPG
IMG_8102.JPG
IMG_8103.JPG
IMG_8094.JPG

It booted right up! Woot. But the MX was glitching... The clock would flash and when looking in the rvloader system menu status, the "MX detected' would flash in and out. I figured I would try mounting the MX closer to the vias so i could have shortest run possible. I realized that the space above the PMS and below the LDO was a perfect mounting spot. I ran fresh magnet from the MX vias to mx, covered MX with kapton and hot glued the relocation to the LDO. This shortened the wires by atleast 2/3 length from the old mounting location on the battery. This solved the issue! Solid MX now!

I also had some issues with interference on the GCD line. The controller just wouldn't respond. After running fresh wire and trying different GC+ i realized i could just run a twisted pair with ground and that seemed to solve the issue. Thanks @Gman for helping me get to that solution.

There was a strange issue where the right shoulder button would take over the Left joystick X axis. Very strange indeed. But it seemed that the left ashida wing board was contacting some passives on the driver board. Kapton between the layers fixed that issue for me.

Last thing to do was fit the Z buttons and close it up. I needed to make the hinge posts shorter as well as trim off some of the edge of the retainer tabs to make it fit in the case perfectly. I also noticed that i couldn't wrench the screws all the way tight or it would seize the z buttons. So 94% tightness on the screws closest to the shoulder buttons did the trick...

When all is said and done, this Ashida build was a lot of new learning opportunities and have loved the process!

IMG_8113.JPG
IMG_8120.JPG
IMG_8124.JPG
IMG_8119.JPG

What a great project!

Attachments