Question Can't get to boot 6-layer board

Hi everyone, after I broke my only 4 layer board, I decided to go forward and trim a 6 layer one. After testing that everything was working with the regulators and installing PortablizeMii, I decided to trim it. And to my surprise, it was working. But after working for 2 times, it died. The CPU and GPU heat up but no video signal. Also my usb drive is not blinking anymore. What could I have done wrong? U10 seems fine and also the voltages.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
From the rules:
10. Post pictures when asking for help
When you make a post asking for help to fix/make something you must include detailed pictures. By doing so you will give more details about your issues and we will be able to help you more easily.
Please follow this simple rule if you are looking for help.

From the rules:

Please follow this simple rule if you are looking for help.
Sorry. So I did the wiring from scratch and now I get a weird flickering that I managed to get in picture

And yes, I'm not using the pth regulators because I couldn't find a decent source here in Europe. Since it worked twice I guess they should be fine for a test

Edit: it appears that i have the 3.3 line shorted to ground now

Last edited:

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Those regs are awful, it wouldn't surprise me if the output voltage of one of them shifted from the one you set. Also if you shorted 3.3V to GND you might have broken something. Sand the edges and check again, maybe you got lucky and you didn't break anything.

Anyway for PTH look on RS-Components. They have them available from European stocks.

Those regs are awful, it wouldn't surprise me if the output voltage of one of them shifted from the one you set. Also if you shorted 3.3V to GND you might have broken something. Sand the edges and check again, maybe you got lucky and you didn't break anything.

Anyway for PTH look on RS-Components. They have them available from European stocks.
Thanks, I'll take a look at that. So I sanded the board a bit and the short seems gone, but it does the same thing. It flashes those lines every second or so.

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
I can barely see anything on that pic.. do you have a ground connection from the wii mainboard to the screen? Maybe that's all you need..
Also what's that blue thingy doing? 5V? And what's that pcb under the cpu of the wii?.. Man that board is scaring me..

Anyways: did you measure the voltages on the board while it's turned on?

I can barely see anything on that pic.. do you have a ground connection from the wii mainboard to the screen? Maybe that's all you need..
Also what's that blue thingy doing? 5V? And what's that pcb under the cpu of the wii?.. Man that board is scaring me..

Anyways: did you measure the voltages on the board while it's turned on?
I'm using a 12v power brick and a 3A regulator to emulate a battery voltage as I'm having a hard time recharging them as I broke every charger I had. The PCB near the CPU was 5v for USB. The only time it worked the console was powered from batteries and the screen externally. I tried with this configuration again and now i don't even get the weird output. I measured all the voltages across the board and they seem fine.

Edit: I did some tweaks and now I get a solid black screen. I'll try to wire the usb.
Edit 2.0: For some reason it's booting. So I guess it's a power issue. The last problem is that it's going at 5fps. Could it be related to the power as well?

Last edited: