Late night modding

I took the board of a wired Gamecube controller, wired it directly to an 8bitdo Gbros adapter, and crammed it all into the shell of a Wavebird. I present the Davebird.
It was a pretty easy mod, lots of room inside the wavebird. Had to make my own button or two though.
IMG_20190120_233527718.jpg

Dual rumble motors. Had these two in a parts drawer. Fit pretty nicely in the handles.
IMG_20190120_232410403.jpg
68151.jpeg

After a fair bit of sanding all the way up to 3,000 grit... looks like it belongs, eh?
IMG_20190122_040753079.jpg

Attachments

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
Portables
I took the board of a wired Gamecube controller, wired it directly to an 8bitdo Gbros adapter, and crammed it all into the shell of a Wavebird. I present the Davebird.
It was a pretty easy mod, lots of room inside the wavebird. Had to make my own button or two though.
View attachment 7985
Dual rumble motors. Had these two in a parts drawer. Fit pretty nicely in the handles.
View attachment 7979 View attachment 7980
After a fair bit of sanding all the way up to 3,000 grit... looks like it belongs, eh?View attachment 7981
Dang that's fantastic. Amazon sent me 2 of those by mistake, so I think I just found the perfect project for my second one...

I love this! I actually bought a wavebird and 8bitdo adapter to make one. Do you have a wiring diagram for the gamecube controller output pins to the 8bitdo input pins? Any chance you have the stl files to the custom buttons?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
Portables
I love this! I actually bought a wavebird and 8bitdo adapter to make one. Do you have a wiring diagram for the gamecube controller output pins to the 8bitdo input pins? Any chance you have the stl files to the custom buttons?
Hmm, I wonder who you ordered that Wavebird from...

I don't have a real pinout other than the thing I doodled. This is looking top down, with the square end pointing left. (Not to scale.)
IMG_20190125_200843855.jpg

As for the buttons, the pictures above explains how I did on/off, had to trim away some of the plastic on the inside to get a flush fit. The Screenshot button I hot glued the crap out of at a right angle.
IMG_20190125_200029506.jpg

The .STLs will be rough, and probably won't fit straight from the printer. As I fully intended to sand them down quite a bit and get them to shine. But here they are anyway:

Edited: added a third .stl for a button model I didn't end up using.

Attachments

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Australian heat sucks, so I put a 240mm AIO on my GPU. I replaced the stock Kraken fans with 2 Thermaltake PLA12025S12HH-LV fans, the best fans of their class in the world (and a pain in the ass to find now since they're discontinued). Also thermal paste sucks, so I used kapton tape to insulate the passives around the die and a chucked an IC Graphite pad on instead. I never need to touch thing this again, so long as no leaks pls.
IMG_20190417_191626.jpg

Nold

I just meme here
Portables
4 + 1*π
Sometimes laziness becomes a motivation...

In this case i've written an attiny13 firmware that sniffs the controller port 1 for a certain button combination [Start + Select + R] and resets the SNES. Perfect for sd2snes!

Source, hex & doc
: https://github.com/Nold360/lazy_mans_snes_reset

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Staff member
Portables
20190910_002359.jpg
20190910_002511.jpg
20190910_002517.jpg

I picked up a gba sp today and added a headphone jack. All of the mods I've seen so far remove the link cable port to leave room for the jack, but that's no fun :p

I used a very small smd headphone jack and put it where I thought it should have been on the console. The little switch on the back is to switch between speaker and headphone.

20190909_234809.jpg

XCVG

Portables
I finally did the RGB mod to my N64! All the N64s I have left are moddable, so I modded my "original" N64 (which I bought in 2010 or something).

n64 rgb amp.jpg

I built a THS7374 amplifier on perfboard. It worked after I added a missing jumper and reflowed the pins on the chip (hand soldering SMD sucks, I should have used one of the ones I did with hot air). The circuit is based on borti4938's simpleRGBamp, with the sync circuitry omitted since I have an early revision board with a working (I hope) sync circuit.

n64 rgb inside.jpg

Honestly, if I were to do this again and things weren't delayed everywhere I would just buy a mod board. This worked, but it wasn't any cheaper and it was a pain in the ass to fit in the case. The board is halfheartedly stuck in with double-sided tape, and all the nearby metal insulated with Kapton tape (which is great, by the way).

n64 rgb sample.jpg

It looks pretty good with the $30 generic SCART to HDMI box. I don't actually remember how it looked over composite anymore though, so maybe it's actually no improvement.

EDIT: A bonus pic. That's my Super Famicom I bought in Japan, with a bare-board US/Canada copy of Super Mario World in it, hooked up to a random slightly-underrated power supply. I needed to check if my cable was good and this is the only Nintendo I own that natively outputs RGB. It didn't work the first time because the Super Mario World board was dirty/corroded.

n64 rgb setup.jpg

Last edited:

BocuD

Portables
So, a few days ago, when i was about to leave for vacation, i realised i'm addicted as fuck to rhythm games, and that not bringing anything wouldn't go well. Bringing my VR setup.. yeah no. So, option two, osu.. i would need to bring a keyboard as well, which doesn't sound great. Option 3.. Love Live SIF yeah i'm trying to get out of idol hell not get back into it :facepalm:.. Looking at option 2 again tho, i realised i have a 3d printer and stuff, so i might as well build a keypad. So i printed this and some keycaps the day before i left, took a pro micro with me and ordered some red and blue MX switches to the vacation home i went to.
PHOTO-2020-07-24-13-49-38.jpg

image0-3.jpg
IMG_3363.png

IMG_3364.png
Imo, for what it is, it came out quite nicely. Especially considering it was printed with no supports. Now the surprising part. Before making this thing i never played on a mechanical keyboard, just a pretty decent membrane one. Now.. turns out, mechanical switches are the greatest thing ever, like almost as significant as switching to a tablet was for me, probably more influential then a high refresh rate monitor. Like thats how nice they are (or well i guess how shit my keyboard before was) So thats pretty good. Only issue is the noise it makes, my parents aren't liking it haha so i can only play during the late afternoon when they are going on walks and shit or after 23:00. Thats alright tho. The internals, well.. yeah i didn't make it pretty cause no acces to wire strippers anything.

I actually tried both reds and blues, as people apparently prefer reds but imo blues are so much nicer its insane. If anyone here plays osu and doesn't play on a mechanical keyboard, seriously get one, or build one of these, you won't regret it :D