Late night modding

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I was thinking about getting a fume extractor, since i did A LOT of soldering the last days/weeks... Then I found this old fans and quickly put one together.. seems to work pretty nice & quite @ 5V - will test it today :)

View attachment 5273
Not a bad idea, but you'll want an activated carbon filter for that. Without a filter, it's just blowing all the cancer gas elsewhere in the room.

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Not a bad idea, but you'll want an activated carbon filter for that. Without a filter, it's just blowing all the cancer gas elsewhere in the room.
Yea, you're right. but ATM I'm happy that I'm not directly inhaling it :D

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Q&D PS2Wii2HDMI aka "me no have no component cable"

DSCF6790.JPG

sooo much better than composite :D

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
A and B buttons were severely unresponsive. Cleaning didn't improve much so I modded it with some squishy tacts and a 3d printed button spacer. Good for another 40 years.
20180423_192734.jpg

Luca

What do you do when your top screen decides to just die? You rip it off of course! Saves some battery I guess. Pretty straight-forward mod, took me about an hour to do. Quite a few DS emulators will allow you to swap the emulation from the top to the bottom screen.
DSC_1114.JPG
DSC_1116.JPG

Last edited:

JoJo

Weve been slowly improving the "Feng Shui" of our master bedroon since we moved in.

We found these two headboard intended mirrors at our local discount furniture store for only $5 a pop, so we jumped on the nicest two that they had. Turns out they JUST BARELY fit between the DIY shelves I made on either side of our bed.

(plz ignore all the clothes T .T)

After a trip to the hardware store, we had everything we needed to mount these bad boys. They were super heavy, and on top of that the hitbox on the studs in that wall seemed non-existent. We ended up using drywall anchors to support the weight (4 on top and 4 beneath) and spread the load across two 2 x 2's with a notch cut into them longways using a tablesaw. We really like how it turned out even though the bottom board got cut too short LOL.

Hope you guys can put your imagination into things around you as well. It really helps to keep things from getting stale!

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Weve been slowly improving the "Feng Shui" of our master bedroon since we moved in.

We found these two headboard intended mirrors at our local discount furniture store for only $5 a pop, so we jumped on the nicest two that they had. Turns out they JUST BARELY fit between the DIY shelves I made on either side of our bed.

(plz ignore all the clothes T .T)

After a trip to the hardware store, we had everything we needed to mount these bad boys. They were super heavy, and on top of that the hitbox on the studs in that wall seemed non-existent. We ended up using drywall anchors to support the weight (4 on top and 4 beneath) and spread the load across two 2 x 2's with a notch cut into them longways using a tablesaw. We really like how it turned out even though the bottom board got cut too short LOL.

Hope you guys can put your imagination into things around you as well. It really helps to keep things from getting stale!
Why is there a mouse cursor in the photos?

nobble

I call this case mod the ZelDSlite! I took the gold Zelda casing and a translucent green and combined parts from each to achieve this look. I also added a golden Triforce badge on the back. This one was from the $5 controller bin guys at MGC. Thanks for pointing out the deal @Madmorda :ding!:

BocuD

Portables
Last night someone in the discord made a Pentium 4 keychain. That made me think. Why not make a Hollywood (Wii GPU) keychain? I have about 4 unfixable Wiis I could take any part from and not worry about it.. So I just did it. Turned on hot air, dropped a few micro-pauls of flux on my board and after half a minute or so the chip came off. I then took of the CPU and RAM as well, cuz hey why not right?
IMG_3618.JPG

I then removed all the solder balls from the bottom of the BGA package and after some cleaning I drilled a hole through it. Now its done, and I have to say I kinda like it.
IMG_3623.JPG

Portables
Last night someone in the discord made a Pentium 4 keychain. That made me think. Why not make a Hollywood (Wii GPU) keychain? I have about 4 unfixable Wiis I could take any part from and not worry about it.. So I just did it. Turned on hot air, dropped a few micro-pauls of flux on my board and after half a minute or so the chip came off. I then took of the CPU and RAM as well, cuz hey why not right?View attachment 7390
I then removed all the solder balls from the bottom of the BGA package and after some cleaning I drilled a hole through it. Now its done, and I have to say I kinda like it.View attachment 7389
holy shit what a great idea :D

Last night someone in the discord made a Pentium 4 keychain. That made me think. Why not make a Hollywood (Wii GPU) keychain? I have about 4 unfixable Wiis I could take any part from and not worry about it.. So I just did it. Turned on hot air, dropped a few micro-pauls of flux on my board and after half a minute or so the chip came off. I then took of the CPU and RAM as well, cuz hey why not right?View attachment 7390
I then removed all the solder balls from the bottom of the BGA package and after some cleaning I drilled a hole through it. Now its done, and I have to say I kinda like it.View attachment 7389
Oof! I'm in the middle of a very similar idea. Only mine is to take two chips, clean them up, and solder them together pads to pads so it's double sided. Also considering rounding it off so it's circular, and more like a coin. But I'll cross that bridge when i get there.

Last edited:

BocuD

Portables
Oof! I'm in the middle of a very similar idea. Only mine is to take two chips, clean them up, and solder them together pads to pads so it's double sided. Also considering rounding it off so it's circular, and more like a coin. But I'll cross that bridge when i get there.
Oh boy.. soldering 2 BGAs together? Good luck lmao

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
That won't be hard since you don't need to line up the pads, just hit it with a boatload of heat, since it doesn't matter if the chips still work when you're done...

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
I "refurbished" this 360 controller that has seen better days. Left analog cap was torn off so I swapped it with the one on the right and printed a new one for the right stick. I'm not terribly happy with the design of the print, but it works well. Also, the left stick was way too loose and in testing there was some drift. Replaced that with a spare that I had sitting in a parts drawer and it seems to be working much better.
thumbnail_20181228_165600.jpg

Naturally, the battery holder was missing. Another easy 3D print. It's not pretty, but it's functional, which is all I care about. Both rumble motors were torn out for some reason, so I found a pair of motors lying around and hooked those up. They work great, but I'm thinking I should have gone with heavier weights for more feedback as it's pretty subtle.
20181228_165619.jpg

Oh, and there were no screws holding the two halves together, so I found 6 similarly sized screws that fit well into the screwposts and now I don't have to worry about this thing falling apart in my hands.