Question Wii Trim RVLoader USB Issues

Hello! I am experiencing a really weird issue with USB on my Wii.

After a long time of the Wii not recognizing USB and trying different things, I was able to my Wii to detect USB and start RVLoader!

However, the Wii will turn on, but it is very inconsistent, only booting to RVLoader 2/3 of the time. The other times it gets stuck on loading screens. Also, whenever I try to go to a different menu or start a game, the screen freezes and I can't do anything.

Things I have tried:

-Tightly twisting D+ and D- together
-Trying 2 different USB drives that worked on multiple Wiis before trimming (Ultra Fit 128 gig and Lexor microSD card reader)
-Checking continuity between D+ on the port and D+ on the Wii (same with D-)
-Checking continuity between D+ and D- (12k resistance)
-Shortening my USB data lines from 12 cm to 7 cm
-Moving my USB from the right side of the case to the left by itself to minimize interference.
-Confirming that my 5v line was constantly getting 5v and that my ground wire was good.
-Moving my ground wire from PMS to directly from the Wii
-Power wires for USB are 22 AWG
-Checking if anything on the USB board is shorted to each other

I've also attached some images (That flux is a little out of control, I couldn't get it off). Thanks for any advice if you have any!

EDIT: Could adding a twisted ground wire to the 2 data ones help?

Attachments

Last edited:
Those solder joints are terrible, you need to clean them all up before going any further.

I also cannot see how the green wire is soldered here:
View attachment 29654
Sorry, here is another picture. What exactly do you mean though? They are both soldered on making contact and are not shorted to each other.
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-02 at 18.58.33.jpg

I cleaned it up a little and moved it to the other port. It's still having issues.
1693757518098.jpeg

Small update, I tried switching to the other usb slot and cleaned up all of the flux. I still can't switch menus or play wii games :\. I also tried wii games so it's not progressive scan. I guess I'll try to solder directly to the components next.
PXL_20230904_153412574~2.jpg

Portables
If that doesn’t work, try downloading the Rvloader files again.

Portables
Try to get a new usb module and see if that works. I just had an issue where my ps2 wasn’t detecting the usb drive and in the end it was the module.

hopefully that works for you.
4B2D4E0F-CAEC-4C03-B229-2690F9B86575.jpeg

I got a new USB breakout board and soldered it, but it didn't work. Next, I decided to solder to CM1 to see if that would help, but I was having trouble even though I did it before, so I stopped before I could damage it. I also shorted the wires even more because I saw that could help when not connected to the components. Maybe I'll try again later, but I can't see what I could do besides that, so I might have to do another Wii and keep the USB ports or try to wire them before trimming.
rn_image_picker_lib_temp_b0165946-693b-4cd6-9cc2-5cdb931ea3a8 (1).jpg

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I'm not sure what to suggest at this point. You've replaced the Wii once already, shortened the wires, using different drives doesn't resolve the problem.............. the only thing that I can think of trying now is powering the USB port using a different 5v source

Thanks Stiches, I have already tried splicing a USB wire for power and it did that same thing, though.

Well, I ended up trying again on a new wii and... it worked! It can play games now! I troubleshooted a little bit with CrazyGadget on the old Wii, and I think the vias might have gotten swapped and caused problems or they got messed up by ESD, though I'm not really sure. I actually kept the USB ports on the trim to be safe, but I think they will still work if I try to wire them now. Hopefully, I can finish up my portable project with this Wii!

Attachments