Worklog Wii Miicro

Rok

I've started work on my first modding project. I'm going with a Wii miicro. It seems like a relatively straightforward project to begin with. With that being said, I have questions that I've posted later in the thread and would appreciate some guidance.

I'm planning on including:
  • 4 GC controller ports,
  • a USB port,
  • the Wii bluetooth module,
  • possibly the MX chip,
  • stock Wii video output and port,
  • either stock or standard dc power port.
I'm mostly taking inspiration from Jeff's Wii Micro.

I've picked up a 4 layer Wii board and have installed PortablizeMii on it. I've also disassembled the unit and tested it without the Wi-Fi module. Everything seems to be working, except the homebrew channel. Homebrew apps work when launched through the PortablizeMii menu.
The PortablizeMii installer consistently failed when selecting the no Wi-Fi option. I installed it with Wi-Fi left on and later installed all the no Wi-Fi .wad's manually. After that, the HB channel was upside down, so I reinstalled it using letterbomb. I suspect this overwrote the patched ios and is the reason HB channel doesn't work without wifi. Is my assumption correct and should I reinstall the no Wi-Fi wads again to ensure the HB channel will work?

The next step for the micro will be relocating the U10 and the BT chip. I've borrowed a soldering iron from my dad and practiced making connections with through-hole components. However the iron is really old and the tip seems to be too big for components on Wii's motherboard.

Which soldering iron should I pick up? I would need one that ships from the EU. I'd also like to have a hot air station, as it seems to be much more convenient and less likely to kill the U10 in the hands of a novice soldering iron user.

Thanks for taking the time to read through my worklog so far!

Any standard pencil tip iron should be fine, looks like that ones bigger than most I've seen
You should invest in a good hot air station and ditch standard irons. I'm not sure about the homebrew channel though. Theres isnt a need to use it after fully installing PM as you have all the HB channels available to use. In my opinion if you can use the channels that's all you need, but someone else can answer that. When rewiring the bluetooth module and MX chip just make sure you keep your wires short and well Isolated (I think most people here twist the data lines together?)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rok

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
The Hakko FX888D is the go to iron for me. If you're on a budget the Weller WLC100 is an acceptable choice too. A hot air station is nice to have if you plan on doing more electronics work in the future but it's by no means a substitute for a good iron. I personally use a generic 858D clone from Amazon. A good iron is certainly critical for this kind of task.

Your project sounds very doable and a great introductory project. Best of luck!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Homebrew channel being upside down is intended. It's a safety feature they put it to get people to stop modding the IOS module when better methods were available for simple homebrew loading. Postloader can load anything the HBC can, so don't worry about it.

Rok

When rewiring the bluetooth module and MX chip just make sure you keep your wires short and well Isolated (I think most people here twist the data lines together?)
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when wiring 'em up.

A hot air station is nice to have if you plan on doing more electronics work in the future but it's by no means a substitute for a good iron. I personally use a generic 858D clone from Amazon. A good iron is certainly critical for this kind of task.
I'll pick up both just for the extra safety and convenience. Thanks for the encouragement.

Postloader can load anything the HBC can, so don't worry about it.
My concern is the post loader failing after the trim, due to a bad .wad install or something similar. Without the SD card for bootmii access, having the HB channel would be a good fallback.

I dont think anyones had issues with post loader in any way shape or form. I'd listen to them.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when wiring 'em up.

I'll pick up both just for the extra safety and convenience. Thanks for the encouragement.

My concern is the post loader failing after the trim, due to a bad .wad install or something similar. Without the SD card for bootmii access, having the HB channel would be a good fallback.
The hb channel still works even if its upside down. In the worst case, you can always access priiloader by shorting reset to ground on boot.