Discussion Well. RIP.

Mumble

Portables

As you may see, I didn't solder power to slot 1, instead I did slot 4. This is why:

My guess as to why the Wii shut off is either because of well...that, or the fact that the controller is messed up. I have had this happen before where if I plug in a broken / trimmed controller, the wii will just shut off. That's my guess.

What's that you say? Yep, 2nd picture deserves a medal for being the "Worst Eye-Hurting Picture" In portable history >:D

Last edited:

Bakuku

Portables
You shorted some voltage pins and with ground. try using less solder or get a better iron. If possible use SolderGrease/Flux because that shit look bad! Best thing to do now is clean those pins and just try to boot the wii with no connections solderd! if the unit refuses to boot, clean again, if still no go well maybe it's time to call it quits and rethink the whole thing. A good learning tool is looking at the Worklogs of other members. Check modretro and here on bitbuilt.

Mumble

Portables
You shorted some voltage pins and with ground. try using less solder or get a better iron. If possible use SolderGrease/Flux because that shit look bad! Best thing to do now is clean those pins and just try to boot the wii with no connections solderd! if the unit refuses to boot, clean again, if still no go well maybe it's time to call it quits and rethink the whole thing. A good learning tool is looking at the Worklogs of other members. Check modretro and here on bitbuilt.
The Wii only shuts off if the Controller is plugged in. I'm ignoring the player one slot for now...What GND is shorted btw? The one on the P1 slot? If so, I'll ignore it. I got data, 3.3v, and GND from elsewhere. But yeah it looks like shit lol. I'll fix it as soon as I get a deslodering iron.
EDIT: I gotcha, I think you meant the P1 Slot. Yeah for now I'll ignore it.

Last edited:

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
The Wii only shuts off if the Controller is plugged in. I'm ignoring the player one slot for now...What GND is shorted btw? The one on the P1 slot? If so, I'll ignore it. I got data, 3.3v, and GND from elsewhere. But yeah it looks like shit lol. I'll fix it as soon as I get a deslodering iron.
EDIT: I gotcha, I think you meant the P1 Slot. Yeah for now I'll ignore it.
Just buy a desoldering wick. They're like <$5 and you'll be able to clean all of that up easily. Because honestly that looks really bad and you're risking killing your wii. I know it works now but you'll have trouble down the road trust me.

Mumble

Portables
Just buy a desoldering wick. They're like <$5 and you'll be able to clean all of that up easily. Because honestly that looks really bad and you're risking killing your wii. I know it works now but you'll have trouble down the road trust me.
Agreed. I'll fix it ASAP. For now there's not a lot I can do though.

Mumble

Portables
You may be able to fix up the pins but just reheating the solder and getting it flow onto the iron.
Nah...I think the picture alone proves to myself I should use a proper tool ;)